Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Burr gives Vivara by Pucci 3 stars and the Aqua Allegoria line 3 stars

'...Vivara was built by the perfumers Marie-Aude Couture and Nathalie Gracia-Cetto, and in it they have fused Pucci, icon of the past, with Pucci, the current house. Vivara is retro, but in the most subtle way. When I smell it now, I think of the midcentury Diors — Diorama, Diorella — not so much what they smelled of but how they smelled: great midcentury abstracts. Vivara is an abstract, too....'

'...Perhaps Guerlain makes the Aquas precisely to step out of character. Very few people have ever told me they wear Aqua Allegoria’s scents. This is a shame, because these are some of the simplest and most delightful things on the market — juices whose unpretentiousness and lack of adornment are equal to their unadorned loveliness. Sylvaine Delacourte, the collection’s creative director, has demanded that the scents exhibit at once a marked translucence and, seemingly contradictorily, a crisply delineated character....'

Read the full reviews of both on the NYT The Moment blog here.

Default Re: Burr gives Vivara by Pucci 3 stars and the Aqua Allegoria line 3 stars

As ever, well written and makes me want to give the new Vivara a second look!

Default Re: Burr gives Vivara by Pucci 3 stars and the Aqua Allegoria line 3 stars

I have missed Mr. Burr so much!!!!
    Thank you Mike. I am delighted that he is back.

I have a sample of Vivara somewhere, I need to try it again.
    As to the Aquas, I would not categorize all of them in the same way. For example, I think Winter Delice deserves four starts, while some of the newer Aquas deserve one or two stars.

I am very curious about the other perfume that he reviewed. I am getting to know some of Rodigro Flores-Roux' creations and I like many of them. Until recently I was unaware that he was the creator of Black Cashmere, White Patchouli, DK Labdanum, and all of the men's Varvatos fragrances.
    Evenstar

I L♥VE Pucci Vivara (new one). I'm glad to know I'm not the only one, other than Roberto here on Basenotes. I like quite a few of the Aqua Allegorias, some better than others. I've always liked the idea of the whole line, and the boxes are gorgeous too.

Thanks for posting the article, Mike.

Basenotes Institution

There was a watery/aquatic note in Vivara that made me a little nauseous...this is what ruined it for me. Maybe one of these days, when I see a tester, I'll try it again but I'm not rushing to smell it again. Blech.

I agree with you arwen_elf - I think lumping all of the Aqua Allegorias into one big rating is a little misleading. Some of the newer ones deserve zero stars.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th December 2009 at 09:30 PM.

Good to see Burr writing this column again. Anybody tried this Alford and Hoff schtuff?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    There was a watery/aquatic note in Vivara that made me a little nauseous...this is what ruined it for me. Maybe one of these days, when I see a tester, I'll try it again but I'm not rushing to smell it again. Blech.
    Hmm...I didn't get an aquatic/watery note. Did you try the blue one, or the green one? I think the blue one is probably intended to be aquatic. I've only tried the green one, and I loved that. I definitely agree with you and Arwen_elf about the AA's. The one CB reviewed, Orange Basilic, was quite blech'ish to me. I like a few of them, but Herba Fresca is probably my favorite of them all.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Hmm...I didn't get an aquatic/watery note. Did you try the blue one, or the green one? I think the blue one is probably intended to be aquatic. I've only tried the green one, and I loved that...
    There is two Vivara's? I didn't know that. I can't remember the shade of the one I sampled...I swore there was just one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    There is two Vivara's? I didn't know that. I can't remember the shade of the one I sampled...I swore there was just one of them.
    Oh yes, there are several variations on it out now. The original (new) one is the green one.