Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question In the Matter of Extrait?

Not yet having possessed a Guerlain extrait, I wonder if those who have could suggest how much to use and, from experience, where to apply for maximum effect and whether to spray or dab. Also, is it advisable to include a couple of sprays of either EDT or EDP in order to provide projection, as I understand, correct me if I am wrong, extrait tends to be a skin affect. I wonder how many use the scented body lotions or creams. In short please impart all of your fragrance secrets. All response are gratefully received and anticipated.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 16th December 2009 at 03:15 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: In the Matter of Extrait?

A small amount, on my wrists and arms, lasts quite a long time.

If I want more of an enveloping effect, I dab on a bit on both of my ear lobes (I learned this from Roja Dove).

As a Guerlain fan, you owe it to yourself to acquire some vintage Mitsouko extrait or Habit Rouge extrait. Or Vol de Nuit extrait. Oh hell...just try whichever one you can!

If it's Shalimar...you don't need much. I find Mitsouko's extrait to be quite soft and require a heavier application. I usually apply on the back of my neck...not sure why...it just seems logical to me somehow.

I've never tried spraying any of the Guerlain extrait's (except for Nahema...which was a bit overwhelming at first), but I think some of the softer scents might benefit from it.

Don't forget to gently dab er...um... the cleavage!

Blog Entries

They always used to say the pulse points so I just start with the inside of wrist (higher if it interferes with watchband). Then I put some on either side of my neck just under the ear, behind the jaw. I transfer my favorites to a small (5ml) sprayer. That helps for travel. My not so regulars I just apply directly from the bottle, hold tight & rub against skin, usually. I don't like the dauber, but that's just me.

All my extraits were bought as sprays or decanted into atomizers. They project a bit more when sprayed, and you don't need more than a couple of discrete spritzes. Of the Guerlains, I have Shalimar, Mitsouko, Chamade, Nahéma, L'Heure Bleue, Vol de Nuit, Jicky and Samsara: they're all wonderful!

With extrait, I apply first to wrists and a small "x" across the solar plexus. Then maybe a dot on each shoulder. A dab at the small of the back is a nice one too - that spot radiates more heat than you would imagine (probably the chakra it's located at has something to do with it).

I have to add that recent extraits from Guerlain are not the strength I'm used to. I've tried Vol de Nuit and Chamade in extrait from new bottles and they were more like stronger edps than parfum.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 16th December 2009 at 07:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: In the Matter of Extrait?

Good information from all of you, thank you. I will likely start acquiring extraits starting with Mitsouko and Shalimar, then Chamade and Nahema, and then Vol de Nuit. The one ounce are just a bit pricey so, 1/4 or 1/2 ounce will be the way to go, I think. Extrait is serious fragrance commitment. BTW I got my Chamade EDP today. Wonderful fragrance and more intense than the EDT.

^^ Get vintage Mitsouko...whatever it takes, it'll be worth it. The new stuff is just subpar. Most of the others are fine in their newest formulations, but Mitsouko just isn't the same/. Nahema, Jicky, VdN, L'Heure Bleue all still smell great though.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: In the Matter of Extrait?

sofresh; That is what I hear about Mitsouko. What is strange is I sort of like the new EDP as it is a bit smoother. It is strange how some fragrances are best in one of the tree versions available of a current formulation and not the others. I will look for the vintage but, even the new is tough to find with any kind of discount.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    ^^ Get vintage Mitsouko...whatever it takes, it'll be worth it. The new stuff is just subpar. Most of the others are fine in their newest formulations, but Mitsouko just isn't the same/. Nahema, Jicky, VdN, L'Heure Bleue all still smell great though.

I have been dabbing a Vol de Nuit vintage extrait on my wrists and under my jawline. This has given me approximately 4-5 hours of persistence, but I am a little displeased with that. I am thinking of transferring a small amount to an atomiser to see how it may differ when diffused.

I'll let you know if there is any notable difference in how it wears.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: In the Matter of Extrait?

Dimitri; OK, I will look forward to the results of your research. I know the EDT is very short lived and there is no EDP version of Vol de Nuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I have been dabbing a Vol de Nuit vintage extrait on my wrists and under my jawline. This has given me approximately 4-5 hours of persistence, but I am a little displeased with that. I am thinking of transferring a small amount to an atomiser to see how it may differ when diffused.

Basenotes Institution

I like to decant my extrait into small sprayers when I am at home in the US. All the testers in Harrods at the Guerlain counter are the 30 ml square glass bottles and I was converted after spraying Vol de Nuit and Jicky this way.
    However, dabbing is quite good - I dab on my outside and inner wrists ,my neck and behind the ears and sometimes the crook of my elbow . Like Sofresh, abit behind on the back of my neck just warms nicely.
    New Mitsouko requires heavier application because it is lighter and to get past the bread /gas /diesel top note - heavier application works for me.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Ah, extrait. You know you're a real perfume junky when you start to feel it's a very good idea to upgrade all your Guerlains to extraits.
    I own Mitsouko in extrait - a little 8ml atomiser refill - and I have really started to appreciate the fragrance in a new way (I was previously unconvinced by it). And I tried Vol de Nuit extrait in the Guerlain boutique in Osswald's in Zurich. Blissful. I seriously have to get some of that stuff.
    Thanks to a very kind dragon, I have some Jicky extrait too and that's faaaabulous (I'm a Jicky gal).
    I have been saving the vial of Apres l'Onde extrait Brielle sent me for a time when I can sit down and give it my full attention. I don't want to waste it.
    But apart form Vol, the one I think must be really remarkable in extrait is L'Heure Bleue.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

JIcky seems to benefit most from spraying (of the ones I own). L'HB dabbed or sprayed doesn't seem to make much difference. Vol de Nuit and Shalimar work better for me when dabbed. I am considering putting some of my Chamade PdT (which seems as strong as an extrait) into a dabber vial also--spraying it is really overwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post

Wow... I get 10 hours or so from VdN.

Don't forget to let us know if spraying improves the longevity!