Code of Conduct

Question Caswell Massey Number Six

I am interested in getting a bottle of Number Six and was wondering how it compares to other traditional colognes such as Guerlain Imperiale, Eau du Coq, Roger Gallet, etc.

Default Re: Caswell Massey Number Six

Number Six is a very straight-up lemon-lime citrus, with none of the earthy, animalic base notes of the heavy hitter classics such as Eau Sauvage, Eau Imperiale and others. The closest I have to it in my collection is Guerlain Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat, but EFdC has a stronger orange component than No. 6. I must also say that 6 is incredibly short-lived, even for a citrus eau de cologne. You have to drown in it (don't bother buying the spray bottle, go for the splash) in order to achieve any effect whatsoever. This from a guy who is EXTREMELY conservative with application.

Good news - it's cheap, it's fresh, and it's safe. No odd notes, no complicated nuances.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 13th December 2009 at 02:46 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Everything that Snafoo said is true. I really wanted to like this one better than I did. What I like about traditional eaux de cologne is the floral heart that provides dimension to the citrus top notes. My favorites are, believe it or not, 4711 on the cheap end and Imperiale on the high end. Caswell-Massey does not have that rosy floral quality that 4711 has, and I miss that. Nevertheless, if I saw it again on sale, I might be tempted.

Others who are not as into the floral qualities of an eau de cologne may like better than I do.

I owned a bottle of CM #6 several years ago. It's a good scent, but it is very simple and linear. It is nowhere as complex or multifaceted as any of Guerlain's eaux, and I remember it being pretty much a straight-up lime and leather cologne. Very much a barbershop type scent, though it doesn't have the strong powderiness that a lot of barbershop scents have. I do remember that it had good longevity on my skin (about 4-6 hrs.), considering it's just an eau de cologne. Not bad, but not great either.

I agree with Snafoo, get the splash bottle because you're gonna need to really soak yourself to get any longevity out of this. Plus, splashing it on just adds to the whole barbershop/personal grooming vibe you get from this scent.
    Last edited by shamu1; 13th December 2009 at 02:24 AM.

Caswell-Massey # 6 is a good example of a middle of the road citrus EDC, it's good but not great. For something comparable or perhaps slightly better for a LARGE fraction of the price try Any of the Pinauad Clubman Citrus EDC's

Quote Originally Posted by seasoldiermarine View Post
    For something comparable or perhaps slightly better for a LARGE fraction of the price try Any of the Pinauad Clubman Citrus EDC's
    +1.

I agree that it's middle of the road. The citrus lacks zing, the spicy heart notes are OK, if you like clove, but the quality could be better, and the whole things is gone quite fast. You know what, a really great and dirt-cheap lemon cologne, if you can find it, is Eau de Menton from the French Riviera: http://www.prestigedementon.com
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.