Code of Conduct

Default Chanel No 19 reformulated

A week ago I bought a new large bottle of Chanel No 19 EdT and noticed that not only had the colour changed to a darker green from my previous small bottle of more yellowish green bought last spring, so had the fragrance. Whereas the old version had much brighter floral heart, now it appears to be covered by a vetivery/grassy note, which overarches the whole development of the fragrance.
    In the cardboard box of the old bottle oakmoss was mentioned as plain oakmoss, in the new one it was first named in latin, then as oakmoss extract.
    I truly miss the old version and would like to stock up. Any advice on a reliable source where to find the old one would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by rowanhill; 12th December 2009 at 08:49 PM.

Default Re: Chanel No 19 reformulated

E-bay...? That's where I've found my oldies. If you're lucky, you might find older No 19 in a perfumery with low turnover, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Good luck!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rowanhill View Post
    A week ago I bought a new large bottle of Chanel No 19 EdT and noticed that not only had the colour changed to a darker green from my previous small bottle of more yellowish green bought last spring, so had the fragrance. Whereas the old version had much brighter floral heart, now it appears to be covered by a vetivery/grassy note, which overarches the whole development of the fragrance.
    In the cardboard box of the old bottle oakmoss was mentioned as plain oakmoss, in the new one it was first named in latin, then as oakmoss essence or something similar.
    I truly miss the old version and would like to stock up. Any advice on a reliable source where to find the old one would be greatly appreciated
    I wonder what this 'oakmoss essence' is ......
    I agree Ebay is the good source for vintage No.19 or you could try the basenotes marketplace ?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Ebay is where I got my vintage, although there occasionally are sellers here in the marketplace.

I got my vintage No. 19 from ebay too. Was expensive, but well worth it.

I'm pretty sure sofresh had a thread lamenting the reformulation of No. 19 not too long ago. It's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by nwatts88 View Post
    I got my vintage No. 19 from ebay too. Was expensive, but well worth it.

I'm pretty sure sofresh had a thread lamenting the reformulation of No. 19 not too long ago. It's a shame.
    Yep, http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=238490

Thank you everyone for your advice and for the link to the earlier thread. Off to hunt in Ebay then. This new 100 ml bottle will most likely become a very expensive room spray.

Blog Entries

Angry Re: Chanel No 19 reformulated

I was just getting used to the old No. 19 and now Chanel fools around with the formula. As long as people let these companies get away with this without expressing their displeasure and intent not to buy their products in future they will continue to do so. Let them know you are mad a heck and will not put up with it.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I was just getting used to the old No. 19 and now Chanel fools around with the formula. As long as people let these companies get away with this without expressing their displeasure and intent not to buy their products in future they will continue to do so. Let them know you are mad a heck and will not put up with it.
    I understand what you are saying N_Tesla . However, Chanel are not very good at replying. I emailed them about Chanel .No.5 recently some time ago and got nada in reply .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Chanel No 19 reformulated

mysticknot; At least by sending an email expressing your opinion you made your position, as a client, clear. If more people did that it could make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    I understand what you are saying N_Tesla . However, Chanel are not very good at replying. I emailed them about Chanel .No.5 recently some time ago and got nada in reply .
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 13th December 2009 at 07:35 AM.

Chanel No. 19 EDT was reformulated as early as late 2005, early 2006 when the new bottle with the built in sprayer was introduced.

I have a post as early as 2006 mentioning this, and one from 2007 listing Chanel No. 19 EDT as a reformulated fragrance. When I have worn Chanel No. 19 EDT as an SOTD, it has always been the vintage EDT and I am, pretty sure, designated as such.

I have shared vintage EDT with rtamara41 and one or two other Basenoters who have posted about the differences.
    I have contributed to more than one thread on such differences on the women's board more than once. On the same board, I remember contributing to a thread about the reformulation of the EDP. I find it surprising that people are just now "noticing" its been reformulated. I was under the impression it was common knowledge.

Around the time of reformulation, vintage Chanel No. 19 EDT could be bought on sites like Scentiments.com for $39.00 for a 3.4 oz bottle. Around the same, I bought a few 3.4 oz bottles of vintage Chanel No. 19 EDP for around $55.00 each from Fragrancenet.com. I stocked up on both the vintage Chanel No. 19 EDT and EDP since they are two of my most loved fragrances.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 13th December 2009 at 11:56 PM.

^^^ So... I guess what you're really saying is:
    1. Told ya' so
    2. I stocked up, didn't you?
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I certainly sent an email to Chanel, this was after all one of my true favourites, I have gone through the bottle like no other.. But it seems that they are not into answering this kind of questions. Earlier on I had asked them about another fragrance but unfortunately no answer came to that either. Why not have the old versions available at the "Deja vu" section of their website. That would of course mean owning up to the changes.
    Last edited by rowanhill; 14th December 2009 at 11:19 PM.

Update: Chanel replied, this is improvement, albeit stating that my message has been forwarded to a country specific team. Alas, no answers yet.

Desperate times call desperate measures but sometimes they pay off. I went and bought the smaller bottle of the EdT and that was as it was before. Does Chanel bottle different formula for different size? I should think not. In any case, very happy to have at least a 50 ml extension to my affair with Chanel 19.

Lol...seems their isn't a fragrance that has not been reformulated..wouldn't be suprised if freaking Britney Spears's new frag will be reformulated based on the fact that "Chocolate" Has become scarce...ppssshh
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Points to Chanel, I did receive a response. Goes without saying that my perfumes do not see the day of light and are kept out of heat:

Dear Madam, Welcome to La Ligne de Chanel and thank you for your message. Further to your request, we would like to inform you that our N°19 has not changed.However, for your information, we should point out that the strenght of our Brand lies in the high concentration of raw materials, which can sometimes explain the slight variations from one batch to another. We also enclose a fact sheet contaning additional information on fragrances.In addition, the traditional enemies of fragrance are heat, air and light. So we suggest you always close your perfume bottle tightly, if possible keep it in its original packaging (if there is too much light in the place where you store it) and, of course, keep it away from any source of heat. By following these simple rules, your fragrance will keep for several years. Thank you for your interest in CHANEL.We look forward to seeing you very soon on our website www.chanel.com or hearing from you at 070 66 55 55*! Best wishes,Stéphanie SzavaLa Ligne de CHANEL Belgium

Last edited by tott; 15th March 2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: double post

Chanel No 19 has changed.
    Chanel No 5 has changed.
    Coco has changed.
    Antaeus has changed.

And so on. And at Chanel they do what they've always done: lie. It's a strong word, but it seems appropriate. They deny reformulations that are evident to not only professional noses, but also average consumers.

How gullible do they think we are?

Sure it's bullshit, they don't want to declare it officially but pack it in the sauce. Btw, I also bought original No. 19 on Ebay, yellow juice, wonderful, no sharpness like the current version.