Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford interviewed ...

... by Tina Brown on the Daily Beast. And doesn't mention fragrance once!

Transcript here and video links here.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Tom Ford interviewed ...

Yes, it doesn't mention fragrance once.
    Thanks for the article- it was a very interesting read . So our Tom Ford is getting spiritual ! And he is a workoholic ! And he finds golf boring !
    I do find Tom Ford a very fascinating person actually ...charismatic and a bit of a devil .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

What a likeable guy! Too bad no discussion of fragrance but no matter, Tom Ford is captivating and the interview completely drew me in!

FYI: Ford's statement that sales at YSL "were doubling and doubling and doubling each season," is very misleading. Sales increased because Gucci, YSL's parent company, had the power to strong arm the stores into buying more and more, but the reality is the collections bombed at retail and filled the markdown racks at the end of the season. Here are examples from 4 different collections that Mr. Ford did at YSL, do you think this is chic? I think it looks like outtakes from Project Runway, sloppy and juvenile :

Ford used way too much smocked satin for me, the dress on the extreme left looks like the lining of a casket.
    Tina Brown is very good, much better in this format than she was on her television show.
    Thanks for sharing, I subscribe to The Daily Beast, but always automatically delete it before opening it. I guess I have something new to read now.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 15th December 2009 at 12:08 PM.

Er...uh...that pink satin scrunchy mess looks sloppy - it doesn't even look half way decent on a runway model, in fact it looks about 2 sizes too big!

(I still think Tom Ford is adorable though!)

Those runway looks belong on the runway. Lots of creativity but stratospheric haute couture.

Good that he mentioned Lapo Elkann, the closest thing we have these days to a male fashion icon.

Alas, no mention of his perfumes.
    Last edited by Primrose; 15th December 2009 at 02:35 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

He was on NPR's Fresh Air today. He really is a great interview!

Heard that interview too! Very cool that he's trying his hand at directing and writing. I bet the costumes for his movies will be spot on!
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    FYI: Ford's statement that sales at YSL "were doubling and doubling and doubling each season," is very misleading. Sales increased because Gucci had the power to strong arm the stores into buying more and more, but the reality is the collections bombed at retail and filled the markdown racks at the end of the season. Here are examples from 4 different collections that Mr. Ford did at YSL, do you think this is chic? I think it looks like outtakes from Project Runway, sloppy and juvenile :

Ford used way too much smocked satin for me, the dress on the extreme left looks like the lining of a casket.
    Tina Brown is very good, much better in this format than she was on her television show.
    Thanks for sharing, I subscribe to The Daily Beast, but always automatically delete it before opening it. I guess I have something new to read now.

Tee Hee * rolling around with laughter * Ruggles - you are spot on with the casket lining. How will I ever wear frills again and satin without thinking about the casket image !
    Also I think I would be put away for indecent exposure with Dress 4. Hello ?! The top should cover the boobs - but I am no fashionista ,what do I know !
    Dress 3 is my fave ....... out of the lot .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 15th December 2009 at 11:30 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Unhappy Re: Tom Ford interviewed ...

The model, third from the left is wearing, what looks like, a dress worn with the back of the dress at the front. Not very attractive at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    FYI: Ford's statement that sales at YSL "were doubling and doubling and doubling each season," is very misleading. Sales increased because Gucci, YSL's parent company, had the power to strong arm the stores into buying more and more, but the reality is the collections bombed at retail and filled the markdown racks at the end of the season. Here are examples from 4 different collections that Mr. Ford did at YSL, do you think this is chic? I think it looks like outtakes from Project Runway, sloppy and juvenile :

Ok, I quite like the scrunchy pink satin casket liner. That looks like fun to wear. I like #2. That actually looks cute and wearable, at the beach for dinner or something I guess. Though I wonder if the back is slashed like that as well? Maybe not so wearable after all.

You know...there's just something so sweet and likeable about Tom Ford, despite the fact that I think he needs to get over himself. Well, looks like he knows it anyway, he's trying to get all spiritual and all. God, I can't imagine living in the fashion world!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 15th December 2009 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    The model, third from the left is wearing, what looks like, a dress worn with the back of the dress at the front. Not very attractive at all.

"Psssst, Morticia, you've got it on backwards..."

Cheers and thanks!!!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

he is a homosexual.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    he is a homosexual.
    ...and?