Code of Conduct

Thread: Incense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Question Incense.

Looking for really good quality incense. Wonder if someone could suggest a reputable place on-line from which, to buy. Also, suggestions as to types of incense would be appreciated. I prefer the longer 14 or 16 inch types.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 13th December 2009 at 12:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Incense.

Hello, Dr. Tesla!
    Shoyeido is an old-time Japanese firm that has a US base and website. Their 'Zen' series has long sticks, but I haven't tried it because it's not available in Japan. But everything I've tried is wonderful. Don't venture into the premiums unless you have a steady job...they are expensive, but worth it.

http://www.shoyeido.com/

You might want to check out Olfactory Rescue Service, a website that has reviews of incense from around the world, with links to retailers etc.

http://olfactoryrescueservice.wordpress.com/

Good luck!
    Last edited by tsuzumi; 13th December 2009 at 03:49 AM. Reason: corrected the link

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the above Shoyeido recommendation. Fantastic incense.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Shoyeido.

Currently seeing some action here:

Kyo-Nishiki - Kyoto Autumn Leaves
    Nokiba - Moss Garden
    Kyo-Jiman - Pride of Kyoto
    Matsu-No-Tomo - Friend of Pine

And their 'JOY' - if this doesn't bring a smile to your face then nothing will

The sampler kits are a good idea - more recommendations in the incense thread nearby.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely check out the Olfactory Rescue Service linked above. It's a fantastic blog.

My all time favorite incense e-tailer is Essence of the Ages.
    www.essenceoftheages.com Stellar service and they've got it all.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Incense.

+ 3 for Shoyeido and a vote for Baiedo--you can find them online.
    I'm a fan of the traditional sandalwood and aloeswood and combinations thereof.
    Jinkoya Sakubei is a good start from the Baiedo line. Shoyeido offers a 15 stick assortment form their 'Premium' line.

Just in case you're not going bankrupt on fragrances, be forewarned that if you develop a taste for Kyara, you may easily spend hundreds of dollars a month to keep the aroma around you

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: Incense.

Mario Justiniani; Thanks for the information. Many concur with your advise and I will oder some next month. I see what you mean on the pricing of some of the items. I like the 14 inch incense that burn quite a long time. There is something about incense that makes me feel at home. Perhaps I was a Buddhist in a previous incarnation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    + 3 for Shoyeido and a vote for Baiedo--you can find them online.
    I'm a fan of the traditional sandalwood and aloeswood and combinations thereof.
    Jinkoya Sakubei is a good start from the Baiedo line. Shoyeido offers a 15 stick assortment form their 'Premium' line.

Just in case you're not going bankrupt on fragrances, be forewarned that if you develop a taste for Kyara, you may easily spend hundreds of dollars a month to keep the aroma around you

Cheers,

Mario

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsuzumi View Post
    Hello, Dr. Tesla!
    Shoyeido is an old-time Japanese firm that has a US base and website. Their 'Zen' series has long sticks, but I haven't tried it because it's not available in Japan. But everything I've tried is wonderful. Don't venture into the premiums unless you have a steady job...they are expensive, but worth it.

You might want to check out Olfactory Rescue Service, a website that has reviews of incense from around the world, with links to retailers etc.

Good luck!
    YES YES YES

SHOYEIDO

YES
    My favorite Shoyeido are Baika-Ju and Nan-Zan

Nippon Kodo also makes some great less expensive stickless sticks.
    My favorite Nippon Kodo are Mainichiko, Paris Cafe, Morningstar Pine.

If you want the older smoky hippie style with the wood stock, the best imo is Fred Soll, he has a red sandalwood variety which smells astonishingly like a the Drydown of Creed's Royal Scottish Lavender. Seriously.

Fred Soll has a whole lot of other varieties, but hey are very strong and smoky.
    I prefer the lighter, less smoky stickless Shoyeido and Nippon Kodo.

Let us know whatever varieties you find and like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Another vote for Shoyeido.
    Nokiba - Moss Garden
    Oh yes, this one is very good. It is traditional with a very interesting twist to it. I don't burn it often but I always enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Incense.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. This is really great information that I will put to good use. I will report back on acquisitions and which ones I prefer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: Incense.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. This is really great information that I will put to good use. I will report back on acquisitions and which ones I prefer.

I'm an incense junkie, myself.
    Big fan of Japanese incenses, like the ones mentioned here. These are actual raw materials formed into sticks--so you're burning actual woods, resins, herbs and spices when you burn these. Joss sticks, or "punk sticks," in contrast, are charcoal of some sort on a wooden stick, impregnated with oils. ("Punk" is, I think, originally just an unscented stick, used to ignite fireworks....??) There are some good varieties of this sort of thing, esp. from India, but I prefer the Japanese stuff which is more complex, and also more subtle. I also like Tibetan-style incense, which is like the Japanese style, but with bigger/thicker sticks, and often a very pronounced woody/piney/juniper component. There's a maker in Bhutan who makes some of the best, most unique-smelling incense around........it's amazing.
    url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/972]Wardrobe[/url]

What conehead said! For the past several months I've been exploring incense. I particularly love the Japanese incenses from Baieido, which are austere and beautiful and really emphasize the woods (though I've just got a terrific sampler of Shunkodo incenses, which are a little more spicy). I've also begun to explore the Tibetan-style incenses. On the whole I like these a little less. But at their best they are wonderful. And my favorite so far is that Bhutanese incense, Nado Poizakhang....especially their Grade A, which is indeed unlike anything else I've tried.

Some great non-japanese style incense are Esteban - Teck & Tonka and Agraria - Bitter Orange . They are the burning stick ones and some of my favorite recently. I have a couple I haven't gotten around to yet from Ananda that I will report back about. I also love the new Maison Francis Kirkdijian incense papers, they smell amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

Nag champa pretty much wrote the book on incense IMHO. Will always have it in my cupboard.
    Last edited by manicboy; 21st January 2010 at 05:36 PM.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsuzumi View Post
    Hello, Dr. Tesla!

Good luck!
    Great links! Thank you! I'll definitely be checking those out. I personally use Azenta incense powder.. no real reason. I just remember finding them as a kid and sticking with them. I have the Spider Web burner!