Code of Conduct

Default what are the best testers you have scored?

i see a lot of testers sold in a few shops but never know what to make of them since i'm not very familiar with brands yet and you can't try them. what should i keep my eyes out for? luckily i have been able to test those i would not have bought and loved those i bought blind as per basenotes recs.

i remember seeing bulgari pour homme but not sure which one (extreme?) also a few versaces and while the versace man review got me interested, i'm looking for a spring summer frag.

so far my fav testers have been gucci envy, gph II, azzaro ph, and davidoff cool water.

Default Re: what are the best testers you have scored?

From my own experience, the frags Antaeus, Cerutti Si and Guerlain Vetiver, bottled as testers were, apart from NO difference to the juice in the regular retail bottle, also extremely long lasting. So most likely, if you happen to enjoy these frags in the shape of testers, it's nearly impossible to get disappointed by their commonly boxed version- as in NOT two different versions, yet the accurate correspondence between the tester and the skin interaction to the frag is true to "what you see is what you get",. Meaning no either too vapid and mediocre, not to "overachieving" (in contrast to the actual frag) kind of testers.
    And yes, Gucci Envy is stunning even as a tester- it just projects itself in lush and complex way, with way above average lasting power.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 13th December 2009 at 02:09 PM.

Dependent

I'd go for testers! Love them.

It really depends on what testers are available for sale to you, since I'd imagine most scents would come in tester bottles. Since you mentioned Bulgari, I'd say the Pour homme and the Extreme Pour Homme are suitable for warmer weathers, as is Bulgari Aqua - one of the best aquatics around - IMO.

I've bought many testers, here are some notable ones that I got pretty cheap:

Yohji Homme
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Water
    Creed Love in White
    Creed Love in Black

Edit: I should mention that I believe that the juice in a regular bottle is not meant to be any different than that in a tester, in case you meant to ask. Just to reinforce what Ken already said.

I'll skip the "no blind buy" preaching. Gamble only with what you are willing to lose.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by MFJ; 13th December 2009 at 02:37 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Some good testers I've scored: -

Bulgari pour Homme
    Yohji Homme
    Arpege pour Homme

Where do you guys typically score your testers?
    ~~Huge fan of Hermes, Jean Claude Ellena and Patricia Nicolai!~~
    http://niche-perfume-reviews.blogspot.com/ - my perfume notes

yohji homme! damn i never see that here. i've also never see guerlain and chanel testers. i've seen a few creeds like original santal, tabarome millesime, git, and vetiver. tons of bulgari like aqua and black and some womens. i guess matthewfoo is right in that it depends what is available to you.

might go for the bulgari if it is the extreme version i saw. what can i say i am a cheap man.

Vintage Tabarome 75ml tester.
    I have never ever seen one, but mine.
    And now the bottle is empty.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Dunhill 1934

I usually avoid testers, but i was introducing my brother to the world of non-mainstream scents and came across 2 bottles of Dunhill 1934 at an Atlanta shop that stocks classics and HTFs. As it was his first and my 6th or 7th, i opted for the cap-less tester.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Annick Goutal Encens Flamboyant for about $30 on Amazon.com.

There are a lot of 25 dollar Bulgari Aqua 3.4 testers going around. It doesn't have a cap anyways and come with the stand.

I scored a free full 4.2 oz bottle of L'eau D'issey from an SA in Dillard's. Also a store was selling B*men testers for 5.99.

My Terre de Hermes tester was great, the cap is integrated into the bottle so no worries there!

I once scored a large Habit Rouge tester for about 20 bucks american. That's a great price

You know what I like about paul Smith and Cartier testers?
    They have the pyramids printed on the tester.
    I always thaught that was dope.

AFA deals, I scored an '05 GIT 4oz tester on the bay for $51.00 shipped.
    that particular batch has a great drydown not too powdery, very woody.

I only buy testers on bottles that have integrated caps, or testers that I know come with caps. As a collector, not having the caps is a real bummer.
    I refuse to sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    I only buy testers on bottles that have integrated caps, or testers that I know come with caps. As a collector, not having the caps is a real bummer.
    Same here. New collector here, and by some weird reason I feel I'm betraying my wardrobe somehow if I fill it up with testers (weird weird weird...) I'm coming clean and saying my SOTD today, Bvlgari Aqva, is a tester. The best and so far only 1 I've scored even if I do have a lot of choices (the gray market area here in the Phils. sells a ton of 'em). It's great 'coz it doesn't come with a cap and the "Tester - not for Sale" sticker can be peeled off (though it is very discrete).

Btw, just to skew a bit, I've seen a LOT of Bvlgari (various) and Cool Water testers (all at 100-120ml) at ~$25 to $30 a pop in the gray market here, and that's ridiculously cheap, considering they can sell for ~$85 retail box in malls. The most prevalent testers here by observation - Bvlgari, Davidoff, Lacoste, Ferragamo (from Incanto to F Ferragamo, etc). Creed is also available, but I'm wary of getting coz I might end up with a fake. If I'm not financially ready for the assured real thing from the malls, then I'm going to have to hold off.

Giorgio For Men .....vintage

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by funhuntr View Post

Btw, just to skew a bit, I've seen a LOT of Bvlgari (various) and Cool Water testers (all at 100-120ml) at ~$25 to $30 a pop in the gray market here, and that's ridiculously cheap,
    That is about the price for the regular non-tester 100ml bottles we can find here at local discounters. We are rather fortunate here in Sg as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    I'm the same way. My favorite tester (I don't have many) is Prada Infusion d'Homme. The ones that I've seen all come with the cap and the box isn't all that different from the retail box either.

Basenotes Institution

Mitsouko EDT preformulation with Oakmoss stated on the back of the bottle ! Fab !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

125ml of Kiton Black for $30