Code of Conduct

Default Spotting BNers in unexpected places

Anyone else ever spot a BNer either at a perfume counter or perhaps some other seemingly unrelated site?

I was looking at the reviews of an organic Patchouli scented body wash on a vitamin site (Vitacost.com) and came across this review...

"As a man who typically wears Creed colognes this has become an alternate to my typical scent. I tend to prefer dry, not too sweet aromas and this fits the bill when used with the same scent body lotion.
    My local store discontinued this item so I am thrilled to be able to purchase the entire product range online."

I thought "wow, I bet he's a BNer!" Looked up at the name and it was our very own KMF.

So, where have you unexpectedly come across a BNer or a BNers obvious influence?

edit: OOPS! Turns out the KMF I read was in regards to the brand name, "Kiss My Face." Its location in the review made me think it was the moniker of the reviewer.

Oh well, I'm still interested to hear where you've run into BNers!
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 13th December 2009 at 10:15 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Spotting BNers in unexpected places

A couple of years ago I was spotted by fellow Basenoter "Mic" in Illum (a high-end department store) in Copenhagen - sniffing at spritzed Creed cards. He approached me having recognised me from my old avatar here and introduced himself. He also poked fun because he knew my distain for Creed as a house and thought it funny he caught me there!

Its always nice to run into other BNers - there is certainly a strong sense of kin on these boards

Blog Entries

That's pretty cool, Dimi. And as a scientist, the fact that he caught you sniffing the Creed gives you major cred in my book. Telltale evidence of reasoned opinions, in my opinion!

I've never actually identified a fellow BNer, but I think I've run into a couple of folks at the counter who simply have to have been on the site. I may try to be more inquisitive.

When I was first getting into the fragrance thing in the spring I was going everywhere that carried fragrance to try them. In Dillard's I met a BNer but I don't know how serious he was and I didn't catch his username.

I asked if Dillard's carried Creed and his eyes lit up and he quickly stated that unfortunately they do not and I would have to drive an hour and a half to the nearest city to have any chance of finding one. He went on about Virgin Island Water being his newest love and he revealed himself as a BNer. I wouldn't think anybody in this small town would know what it is but I was wrong!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I'd probably missed a couple of BN'ers (incl. Matthewfoo) the last time I visited a local discounter (Jasina). When I started asking the SA about Gucci pH (original) and Yohji Homme, she asked, "Are you from Basenotes?" According to her, only hardcore perfume enthusiasts from Basenotes would look for discontinued scents.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Anyone else ever spot a BNer either at a perfume counter or perhaps some other seemingly unrelated site?
    I can think of at least one.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    ...she asked, "Are you from Basenotes?"
    And you answered:

Amirite?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    I can think of at least one.
    Ha, but that doesn't count as you were pre-BN then. So, do you thank me or hate me for having introduced you (if indirectly) to this site?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Does it count if I was unexpectedly messaged on yahoo Messenger by some Basenoters, who are all pals of mine in the meantime?

There are lots of reviews by our own Mario Justiniani on perfumeemporium.com I discovered the perfumeemporium reviews before I discovered Basenotes, so I was already familiar with Mario before I discovered he was a Basenoter. (Lots of other Basenoters have reviews on perfumeemporium as well.)

As a side note, every time I'm in Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus in San Francisco, I always wonder if I'll run into JaimeB. I haven't yet, but I think I'd recognize him from his Basenotes photos.

I was in a Nordstroms that I only went to because I was told by someone on here that they carried Creeds. So I was in the Creed section, and thier VERY VERY VERY attractive sales associate was helping me a little bit. Near us was another SA...not sure if he was with Creed or not, but he was quite helpful as well. I remember asking him what his favorite fragrances are, and I recall him mentioning TDH. I recall him mentioning several fragrances that the typical person probably wouldn't be familiar with. That's when I asked him if he was familiar with the site, and he said he was, but had not been on here in a while. I wanted to know what his screename was, but he couldn't recall.

I see BNers often on the Now Smell This blog...perhaps that is not so surprising, though

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Ha, but that doesn't count as you were pre-BN then. So, do you thank me or hate me for having introduced you (if indirectly) to this site?
    Well... proto-BN. I believe I did have an account, but wasn't posting. Perhaps I should file my incurred expenses with you.
    :brolly:
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams