Code of Conduct

Default Any good tips based on my favourites?

Hi all,

I'm looking for tips on scents I should try. Feel free to have a look at my wardrobe to see which fragrance I have and owned and the rating I gave them. I'll also give a little word on my favourites to guide you somewhat further.

I'm looking for "for him" scents mostly. It may be a mainstream brand but I would definitely also would appreciate some tips on more niche brands (or whatever you call it). Now I guess that won't be that easy since (at least to my impression) niche brands offer more unisex scents. Yet again, there are many niche brands, so I guess at least some could be recommendable.

A little word on my favourites (in no particular order):

Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre
    Not overly complicated yet not shallow either. I like the mixture of pepper and citrus on the top with the rather subtle wooden base. Gives it this very soapy freshness.

Tommy Hilfiger True Star for Men
    Wow. I love this scent. It's hard to describe it if you don't know what you're looking for. It made me think of a clothes store the first time I smelt it. It has a bit of a fresh soapy nature to it. But it's also woody, fruity...and all balanced so well. Liquorice, but not too much, a perfect mix of wood and vanilla at the base, grapefruit and wet notes at the top (admittedly, I checked the basenotes page )... This is the scent I grab for when I'm clueless on what to put on (I don't really have a signature scent). Now you can take this negatively (no character) yet that's not the case. This fragrance has character for me, it's quite complicated due to its subtle balance and it suits any day of the year. Sweet, but undoubtedly for him.

Sonia Rykiel Man
    This I would list as my top favourite fragrance as complexity goes. Yet I don't wear it that often (maybe the complexity is just the reason). I only wear it when I go clubbing. It's quite an aggressive smell at first. It smells like a cheap synthetic after shave on the first spray which never really goes away completely. I guess that is the reason why I wouldn't wear it with a suit, because that would seem to underline that part of the fragrance too much.
    On drying down, the after shave scent softens and gives way for a subtle complexity. Very synthetic and...well, bloody manly! The name couldn't have been picked better. It has a soapy scent to it and some wood, but it doesn't smell too old or stuffy. Once the "cheap after shave"-note tones down, it doesn't really remind me of anything I have smelled before yet it doesn't seem to be overly far-fetched at all, which makes it such nice scent.

Ralph Lauren Romance Silver Men
    This must be the more stuffy fragrance in my favourites, yet it has been stripped of its base somehow (which I think is good). It's hard to describe. It reminds me of Gucci (I think the original) and Tom Ford's Oud Wood but without the overly woody base that makes me think of old men in suits smoking cigars and drinking whiskey. It's spicy alright, and woody, but a good hinch of citrus lifts the scent up.

Thierry Mugler Cologne
    Fresh and soapy... I like the feminine touch that doesn't turn it away from smelling quite masculine. It's quite a simple fragrance to me, so there's few I can say about it. It's up there with True Star for me. Uncomplicated yet not shallow. Wearable on every occasion and time of the year.

Estée Lauder Beyond Paradise for Men
    This is undoubtedly the freshest and most soapy fragrance in my collection. I've noticed it's not getting good reviews here on BN. It's a love or hate fragrance it seems. I loved it immediately. It pushes the boundaries of sweet for him fragrances. I love the melon and the wet notes. Suited for a spring day or summer night for me. Very informal.

Guerlain L'Instant d'un Eté pour Homme
    The last review in the BN directory describes this scent as truly masculine... I don't completely agree. Now there is a reason for that. I girly friend of mine has a Calvin Klein fragrance which smells very resembling. Since then, I almost never wore it although I love the soapy and fresh character which makes for an ideal summer scent.

Emporio Armani White
    If I ever would have known they would discontinue this one... Sweet, soapy, fresh... the new edition has this scent I dislike since a couple of years (I find it back in huge quantities in 212, quite heavy in Kenzo Jungle and less obvious but still very present in CK Truth...it's really strange, because I used to put on all these perfumes quite regularly but suddenly, one day, there was this one scent that came through and supressed all other scents... since then I really dislike fragrances which have this thing in it...can't say what it is, unfortunately). Anyway, the original Armani White is godlike.

Rykiel Homme
    This one made me think of Fahrenheit, yet less strong and with a more soapy fresh twist. I can't find it anymore at local stores, unfortunately.

In conclusion, I guess I'm looking for fragrances that are soapy, fresh, fruity... but masculine. Wood only when subtle. Wet notes are alright as long as I don't feel like I'm all alone on a raft in the middle of the South Pacific.
    Maybe you can see some other similar features I haven't noticed... In any case, I'm ready for your advice.

Many advanced thanks!

Default Re: Any good tips based on my favourites?

Guerlain Homme

I have it and I'm not really impressed by it. Thanks anyway!

Fresh , soapy - seems you like that in fragrance , then you must try Prada Amber or Prada Infusion ...( Prada Amber in particular ) ....

Also I would recommend Chanel Allure Edition Blanch and Joop Jump .. seems to me you could like those two

Quote Originally Posted by therm View Post
    I have it and I'm not really impressed by it. Thanks anyway!
    didnt saw listed..

maybe you wanna try out Givenchy Pi Neo or something or Creed Virgin Island Water/Silver Mountain Water

Soapy, fresh, masculine. Have a look for Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. If you like it you may want to explore more vetiver-based fragrances, like Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire and Chanel Sycomore.

Even though I don't like it myself, Prada Infusion d'Homme is something that would probably fit your clean and masculine needs. If you like this also try Dior Homme, another men's iris fragrance, although much different and a lot sweeter. If you find that iris is something that you'd like to find more of, the most masculine iris heavy hitter would be The Different Company Bois d'Iris.

The three masculines from Ormonde Jayne would be well worth sampling. Ormonde Man is definitely the best, and while it is quite woodsy, it has a lovely green herbal freshness, as well as a special sparkling sweetness that all Ormonde fragrances seem to share. Zizan is also lovely, more soapy with its vetiver, and always fresh. Ormonde has a great sample set (i've got it, love it) from their website.

For samples you might want to check out luckyscent.com and theperfumedcourt.com, the two main places I get mine.

Mémoire d'Homme by Nina Ricci
    Vetiver Eau Glacée by Guerlain
    Greenergy by Givenchy
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 13th December 2009 at 06:30 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I have feeling you will love Green Irish Tweed

Also there is Andy Tauer's Vetiver Dance you might want to sample

Quote Originally Posted by Young Dro View Post
    didnt saw listed..

maybe you wanna try out Givenchy Pi Neo or something or Creed Virgin Island Water/Silver Mountain Water
    It's listed in my wardrobe, not in the post. I will check out the Givenchy and Creed, thanks for those!

Also thanks to all other suggestions, really helpful! Keep 'm coming
    Last edited by therm; 13th December 2009 at 06:55 PM.

Dior's Higher fits the bill, except for the soapiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Igorbg View Post
    Fresh , soapy - seems you like that in fragrance , then you must try Prada Amber or Prada Infusion ...( Prada Amber in particular ) ....

Also I would recommend Chanel Allure Edition Blanch and Joop Jump .. seems to me you could like those two
    I'll have to second the Prada Amber Homme. I think you'll like it very much based on your favorites.