Code of Conduct

Default Best In Fragrance - GQ (English-January Edition) 2010 Grooming Awards

The following Fragrances were highlighted in the English GQ Magazine in the 2010 Grooming Awards - Best In Fragrance:

New Fragrance:

Winner: Italian Cypress - Tom Ford

"There could only be one winner. Ford continues to delight us with his olfactory vision. Sexy, spicy and suberbly masculine." Jodie Harrison - Executive Style & Grooming Editor -GQ - JUDGE

Runner-Up
    : La Nuit De L'Homme - Yves Saint Laurent

"A great fragrance. I loved all the compliments, and the best bit? It last." Debbie Beaumont-Howell - Head of buying beauty and fashion accessories. House of Fraser - JUDGE

Highly Commended: Paul Smith Man - Paul Smith

"More complex than his previous men's fragrances, with an interesting juxtaposition of citrus, patchouli and spices." Nicky Kinnaird - Founder SpaceNK - JUDGE

Bottle Design:

Winner: For Him Musk Collection - Narciso Rodriguez

"Beautifully proportioned masculine design. Colouration absolutely works with the fragrance. Nicky Kinnaird - JUDGE

Runner-Up: Colonia Intensa Prestige - Acqua Di Parma

"A beautifully presented masculine package. Looks very luxe in a marketplace awash with off the shelf' designs." Daniela Rinaldi - Concessions and Beauty director - Harvey Nichols - JUDGE

Highly Commended: Attitude Extreme - Giorgio Armani

"I love the gorgeous black lacquered bottle with it sensual architectural design." Matt Mulhall - Catwalk session Stylist - JUDGE

GQ.COM READER AWARDS:

Best Fragrance - Gucci Pour Homme - Gucci

"This has taken thje fragrance world by storm, proving to the people's perfume for 2010." Jodie Harrison - JUDGE

Highly Commended
    : Terre De Hermes - Hermes

"A long-term favourite of mine - just gorgeous." Jodie Harrison
    Last edited by Otto; 16th December 2009 at 12:10 AM.
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Best In Fragrance - GQ (English) 2010 Grooming Awards

Thanks! Very interesting. I have to say, for me, they make sense. I love all of Tom Ford's stuff. I haven't sniffed Italian Cypress, but people rave. La Nuit? I think it's damn good, and I bought it, but I REALLY do see it getting second place to something else, so again, good. Haven't tried PS Man.

The bottles? I'll pass. Only barely recall one of three.

The Gucci PH scents are loved here - so much so, that the newer GbGPH is considered weak, even with olfactory references to the earlier scents. Makes sense. TdH? Yes, and with a few dissenters, so second place seems right.

Overall, it just makes sense to me.

It's not a surprise La Nuit De L'Homme was up there... an excellent and underrated fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

I can totally get behind this. I doubt the American GQ's picks would be as good as these.
    I refuse to sink.

Post Thanks / Like

lol at la nuit de l'homme though

Im glad TdH is up there

I wonder what frags would be the GQ-winners in Italy, France, USA, Japan and Russia...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    I wonder what frags would be the GQ-winners in Italy, France, USA, Japan and Russia...
    I wonder how the winners correlate to how much advertising is purchased in the GQ magazine? . . . I wonder about that. These are all big name brands that do lots of advertising in GQ (with possible exception of NR for Him) so it does all make sense.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 16th December 2009 at 03:45 AM.

is gucci ph the new one released recently or the one with darkyellow/brown juice with balsamic spicy scent? lol sorry guys. kinda get mixed up with gucci here. All they put in their product is gucci gucci gucci

Would not surprise me if they mean Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme rather than the original Gucci Pour Homme. It would make sense as all the others seem to be 2009 releases?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting this Otto.

We got to take this "awards" with a pinch of salt as most of the winners are not the most outstanding or outrageous frags compared to what we BNers are used to. However, La Nuit and NR Musc are quite a surprise to me.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Im pleased Ford's Italian Cypress received this accolade, albeit far from a 'serious' industry award.
    Still, Italian Cypress is wonderful!

Post Thanks / Like

GQ would praise the smell of worn jockey shorts and used socks - if they were Tom Ford's .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I am really dubious of magazines putting up a "best of" list, as much of fashion writing is geared toward marketing rather than serious connoisseurship of clothing and scent.

Some fashion/men's/women's magazines seem like one long, multi-page advetisement for the latest toiletries and clothing. That's just my humble opinion.

I concur with Buzzlepuff on this. I notice that many of the scents advertised in GQ seemed to be fronted by young male celebrities (singers, performers, actors) so one also has to look at the readership.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    gq would praise the smell of worn jockey shorts and used socks - if they were tom ford's :d.
    true

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Otto View Post
    Best Fragrance - Gucci Pour Homme - Gucci

"This has taken thje fragrance world by storm, proving to the people's perfume for 2010." Jodie Harrison - JUDGE
    Do they mean Gucci by Gucci PH? Because Gucci PH came out in '02...can it really be that popular with today's British GQ readers?

EDIT: It really is Gucci PH! That's rather amazing, IMO. Gucci PH is a common sight at the discounters stateside!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 14th December 2009 at 08:40 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

La Nuit de l'Homme is long lasting? That's news to me!

Post Thanks / Like

I think Gucci Pour Homme is fabulous stuff but I thought they'd killed it. It seems far-fetched to say that it's the people's perfume by any stretch, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I wonder how the winners correlate to how much advertising is purchased in the GZ magazine? . . . I wonder about that. These are all big name brands that do lots of advertising in GQ (with possible exception of NR for Him) so it does all make sense.
    Totally. If there were even one more full-page Tom Ford ad in any of the GQ mags, they could change it to TF magazine. Still, he does sell some great stuff, and the brand is designer enough to be easily respected by GQ readers, but maverick enough to seem unusual. I think the choice of Tom Ford is ad-driven but smartly credible.

Now if it would have been Givenchy Play that won..... oh, yeah. Let's not even hide it.

I'm actually looking for La Nuit, is it widely available? Perhaps on the sale forums as well?

Pretty decent list. I really like Italian Cypress and Tom Ford makes a great scent, so I can't disagree with that. Of course, any magazine is going to try and maximize it's sponsors sales
    Last edited by Regis Philbin; 15th December 2009 at 04:21 PM.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

Post Thanks / Like

This was an interesting article, thanks for sharing that with us

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Regis Philbin View Post
    I'm actually looking for La Nuit, is it widely available? Perhaps on the sale forums as well?

Pretty decent list. I really like Italian Cypress and Tom Ford makes a great scent, so I can't disagree with that. Of course, any magazine is going to try and maximize it's sponsors sales
    La Nuit should be available at every Macys and Sephora nationwide.
    I refuse to sink.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Regis Philbin View Post
    Should be available at your local Macy's...