Code of Conduct

Default Love For New Haarlem

I know there's a lot of back-and-forth debate and controversy about Bond No. 9. Personally, I've tried pretty much everything Bond has to offer in the way of men's and unisex scents and, while there are several that are nice, the only one I've ever felt was worthy of purchase was New Haarlem. I think I'm on my second or third bottle (I buy the 2 oz plain refillable bottles directly from Bond as I think it's the best deal).

Anyway, I recently plunged back into the world of niche fragrances and I've been on a bit of a tear trying everything that intrigues me. Yet, although it may not be the rarest or most obscure fragrance, I seem to be reaching for the NH on an almost daily basis during the fall and winter months. In my opinion, NH is simply the finest gourmand I've ever tried and works incredibly well on my skin. The progression from top through bottom is warm and sexy, the sillage is wonderful without being overbearing, and the longevity is absolutely excellent. I smile whenever I catch a whiff emanating up from under my shirt throughout the day and into the evening. And when that's not enough, I often get my fix by putting my arm under my nose and inhaling deeply. OK, this is starting to sound weird...

Does anybody else feel the same way about New Haarlem?

- Brad
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Default Re: Love For New Haarlem

I agree with you, the best gourmand scent. I have my bottle for sale just because after a while, I felt it smelt like something I wanted to drink, not smell like.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 14th December 2009 at 05:08 PM.

New Haarlem is fantastic, but not 200 dollars more than Rochas Man fantastic.
    I refuse to sink.

It's okay...I have to say I preferred A*Men Pure Coffee though.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    New Haarlem is fantastic, but not 200 dollars more than Rochas Man fantastic.
    As I said, I get the 2oz plain bottle directly from Bond. It costs about $95 if I remember correctly. For that price, there's no comparison with Rochas Man, which I find to be rather one-dimensional and cloying.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I can't tolerate the strong lavender in it. For those who can't afford it but like it, try Animale Animale for men.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I can't tolerate the strong lavender in it. For those who can't afford it but like it, try Animale Animale for men.
    Interesting. I don't get any lavender at all, much less a strong amount.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

New Haarlem is a fantastic gourmand. I find it extremely well blended and has a rather masculine drydown.
    Rochas, and Animale Animale give an illusion of being like NH, but it is only that; an illusion. New Haarlem IMO is a gourmand that is not easily matched.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 14th December 2009 at 07:16 PM.

I really like the "smell", but like Nsamadi I'm also still not sure it's something I want to smell like. I enjoy walking into a coffee shop, or the smell of freshly brewing coffee but smelling someone who smells like coffee... I'm not so sure.
    I think Bond's lineup is entirely too large at this point and when you take that many shots, sure, some are bound to hit. I think there are probably a good 5 in the lineup that are good (depending on your preferences though), but that still leaves 20-30 mediocre ones. Seems more like a marketing exercise then anything else IMO. I always got the very "slick business" impression from them. I find someone like Geurlain is the opposite. They're not pushy, they know what they've got, and they only release something every once in a while and it's usually great.
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

To me it smells like maple syrup and gets me nauseating sick, I have tried it several times. The opening is great but the drydown is the maple syrup.

The odd thing is i own and love Rochas man, but I do not get that same feeling and a lot cheaper.

One of the top scents from Bond in my book. I own it but it's usually too hot in Miami to wear it.

In no particular order.

Chinatown
    Silver Factory
    New Harlem

I rarely wear any Bonds these days but I like to keep them in my wardrobe should the urge strike.

I like New Haarlem too but i don't think it's too disparate from Rochas Man. If you find Rochas Man cloying then you will be troubled by NH. I am surprised no one has mentioned endymion by Penhaligons.
    Last edited by Blowe46; 14th December 2009 at 07:31 PM.

My nose is super sensitive to lavender. The Estonian site lists lavender as a note. There is also Armani's Attitude, which I prefer to NH, but there too the lavender is too strong for me. Instead, I reach for Polo Double Black (though I dislike the top notes) or Jacomo Silver for men, both of which contain coffee in a nice blend, but without any strong lavender note. Remember that lavender is good for blending purposes and can have a harsh herbal edge or a creamy quality, depending upon the other notes, so you might be thinking of one use of lavender but not the other. I dislike both, but Attitude's use is less nauseating to me, for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowe46 View Post
    I like New Haarlem too but i don't think it's too disparate from Rochas Man. If you find Rochas Man cloying then you will be troubled by NH.
    Hmm. Not so sure I agree with that statement at all.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

It's pretty good, and probably in the discussion for top 10 gourmand scent, though nowhere near the top for me. That title would go to Frapin 1270 maybe Aomassai. And in the same realm of "coffee-gourmand" I'll take Penhaligon's Endymion over it any day.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I am not a big gourmand guy at all. But when people ask on here which one to buy I always say New Haarlem. It is my favorite out of the Bond line and a really, really nice scent.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Blog Entries

I'm with you on New Haarlem. I tried a bunch of coffee scents and NH came out my winner.

Sometimes I find the lavender a bit much, but it's what makes NH smell like a fragrance and not just a cup of coffee.

And the thing that really sold me on it was that it has a woody base instead of a stereotypical gourmand vanilla one, which would have made it way too sweet and predictable. The combination of woods, coffee, lavender, and the creme caramel is just amazing.

It's one of those scents, along with Ambre Narguile, that I save for special occasions.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    To me it smells like maple syrup and gets me nauseating sick, I have tried it several times. The opening is great but the drydown is the maple syrup.

The odd thing is i own and love Rochas man, but I do not get that same feeling and a lot cheaper.
    No love here either for the same reasons. Sorry
    Last edited by knightowl; 15th December 2009 at 06:16 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??