Code of Conduct

Default If you had to pick 1 cologne for a high school boy (15), which would you choose?

Hey, I'm 15, and my name is Max. I go to high school in Canada (grades 7-11), and I'm in grade 10. I'm wondering if you could go back in time to when you were in high school, which cologne would you have worn knowing everything you know now? Please explain a bit why. If you're in high school, then tell me what you think is best and why. Thankers.

Default Re: If you had to pick 1 cologne for a high school boy (15), which would you choose?

Still in high school, I'd say try Fuel for Life by Diesel. I literally get atleast 2 or 3 compliments a day when I wear it. Pretty much anything that's fresh and/or sweet without smelling too "old-man"ish will be your best bet. Try Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti and Allure Homme Sport by Chanel also.
    Last edited by Jack103; 14th December 2009 at 09:46 PM.

Default Re: If you had to pick 1 cologne for a high school boy (15), which would you choose?

I didn't wear it in high school, but I wish I knew about Kenneth Cole Reaction so I could wear it there. One of my concerns in high school was projecting too much when I wore cologne, so I barely wore any of my full bottle (DKNY Be Delicious for Men) or my decants. Reaction holds close to the skin and is incredibly youthful and vibrant.
    I refuse to sink.

Versace Blue Jeans is a good choice for a 15 year old

Well, if we're being honest here, I probably would have worn something like Acqua di Gio or A&F Fierce or Hollister Jake or [insert popular fresh scent], quite simply because that's what girls of that age tend to like. I remember what I thinking about.

[EDIT]: Versace Pour Homme might be a good option for you. It has some character, but it won't scare off the natives.

I would still have worn my nicer scents during non-school hours.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 14th December 2009 at 09:54 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Yeah, Fierce would be a good choice too. Especially since he's in Canada, where I understand it's not quite as common as it is over here in the US. Of course, it's a bit harder to find too.
    I refuse to sink.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Well, if we're being honest here, I probably would have worn something like Acqua di Gio or A&F Fierce or Hollister Jake or [insert popular fresh scent], quite simply because that's what girls of that age tend to like. I remember what I thinking about.

I would still have worn my nicer scents during non-school hours.
    Honestly I rarely wear these because even girls my age know what they are and are kind of turned off by that fact :P

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    Yeah, Fierce would be a good choice too. Especially since he's in Canada, where I understand it's not quite as common as it is over here in the US. Of course, it's a bit harder to find too.
    You are very right :P, at least I think you are. Fierce isn't common at all, here.

Anyone else have any other input? Sorry if there's an actual bump button, but I can't seem to find it.

Chanel no. 5. Breaking down gender boundaries one grade at a time.

Allure Sport.

Super sexy and girls love it... long longevity... superb sillage without being overbearing.....and extremely versatile. I think its what Fierce wants to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Allure Sport.

Super sexy and girls love it... long longevity... superb sillage without being overbearing.....and extremely versatile. I think its what Fierce wants to be.
    How do you expect a 15 year old to pay $90 for cologne?

I would go with a classic - Habit Rouge EDT by Guerlain. It smells fantastic, and the drydown will have the girls nuzzling closer for a sniff.

Teddius

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
    Christmas present :P, but if I wanted to I could pay for it. Plus, don't colognes go a long way?

I second this. If Fierce is kind of hard to get in Canada, that could add to it's "cool" factor.

Whatever you get Max_Yeah, learn to go easy on the trigger. I had a horrible experience at your age with some slop called Hai Karate.

Let us know what you settle on.

Sorry, rechecked the title and says had to pick one. Went ahead and listed these anyway hehe :

> Almost anything from Lacoste. Try Booster and 2000 (if you can find one), these I've tried (2000 of course I finished a whole bottle, along with Lacoste Eau de Sport Vivifiante), heard Style in Play is not so bad too.

> Bvlgari Aqva, most aquatics are safe choices for any age range (and IMO Aqva's a step above than most in the genre).

> Banana Republic Slate

> Hope no one in your school is using L'eau Bleue D'Issey PH as most would gravitate towards the original Issey Miyake PH, you might want to be on the safe yet unique side.

> Paul Smith Story

> Nautica Blue

> Angel Schlesser Homme (if its available in your area)

> Estee Lauder Pleasures for Men (ladies seem to like this a lot)

> also Paris Hilton for Men (blue swirly bottle), but you might be embarassed to say it in public

Hello Max, (badass name BTW) if you want a sweet distinct attention getter look no further than Theirry Mugler's A*Men.
    WTT: Creed SMW for Creed GIT.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    Hello Max, (badass name BTW) if you want a sweet distinct attention getter look no further than Theirry Mugler's A*Men.
    Did you read the part of the thread where it says he's 15 A*Men for a 15 year old would wipe out the whole class, and can't be worn during the hot months, so it's not useful

I'd recommend 212 Men, My personal favorite Green/ Tea smell

If Fierce isn't common.. GET IT! Not going to lie, it's a perfect compliment getter and you'll stand out since no one wears it.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

No, I don't read thread titles or posts and just type random non-sequiters, and leave rationality up to the interpretation of the reader.

I wore A*Men when I was 15 and it got me more compliments than every other fragrance I've ever worn combined. And it's not like he lives in a tropical climate where it would get extremely cloying. Although A*men is not for everyone it is worth a sample, and is a great addition should you decide to ever own more than one cologne.
    Last edited by Big Punisher; 15th December 2009 at 03:48 AM.
    WTT: Creed SMW for Creed GIT.

I would choose Mugler Cologne

Reasons why:
    1) It smells good
    2) Not too expensive, and relatively easy to find
    3) Versatility. Can be worn anywhere at any time.
    4) It's a safe scent that won't offend, which is important in a closed setting such as a classroom

I say go for Escada Sunset Heat. Tropical, vibrant, young and playful. Plus it comes in a really nifty slim bottle so it's easy to carry around.

otherwise, if you can get your hands on it, Guerlain L'Instant D'un Ete Pour Homme. And make sure you learn how to pronounce Guerlain (the french way) so when the girls (or boys) ask, you can impress

When I was 15, I remember wearing Avatar and Curve

Curve was a huge hit with the ladies, but I'm sure cologne is more popular with your age then it used to be.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    I wore A*Men when I was 15 and it got me more compliments than every other fragrance I've ever worn combined. And it's not like he lives in a tropical climate where it would get extremely cloying. Although A*men is not for everyone it is worth a sample, and is a great addition should you decide to ever own more than one cologne.
    A*Men IS outstanding for that age...but watch the trigger or the whole classroom is dealing with it. Like Hai Karate.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 15th December 2009 at 03:12 PM.

Well, apparently my first post was too ageist or something of the sort, so I'll sugar coat it . Get Chanel Allure Homme Sport man, it's the best scent if you want to smell like a young, sexy, confident guy. It's my most complimented fragrance, and I personally love it. Get it and don't look back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
    I had a job at 14. That's how.

Quote Originally Posted by heparfumerie View Post
    I say go for Escada Sunset Heat. Tropical, vibrant, young and playful. Plus it comes in a really nifty slim bottle so it's easy to carry around.

otherwise, if you can get your hands on it, Guerlain L'Instant D'un Ete Pour Homme. And make sure you learn how to pronounce Guerlain (the french way) so when the girls (or boys) ask, you can impress
    As probably Basenote's first and foremost Sunset Heat fanboy, I have no idea why it didn't cross my mind when I thought of this topic. It's another great choice.
    I refuse to sink.

I wore original Polo, and A*Men when i was 15/16...

Joop Jump
    Bulgari PH
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Omfg... It's so hard to pick one!!!!!!

I'm really lost :S....

OK, I'll go for broke here and say Unforgivable by Sean Jean. It's a decent priced (affordable) scent. Okay so it's a rip off of a Creed scent and people slate it because of this, but I fail to see how a GOOD COPY by a reputable name that costs a fraction of the price of the original can be a bad thing?

Longevity is so-so, but I've read somewhere there are other versions of this that have better longevity so it might be worth checking those out.

The scent itself is surprisingly sweet and (to me) addictive... I may be 30 (OLD!) but I've had many positive comments from the women.
    My Current 5 stars..... Brut, Lynx Java, Lynx Oriental, Lynx Musk, Lynx Inca, Lynx Fever, Addiction Spice Fire, Hugo Energise, Sean Jean Unforgivable, Burberry Touch, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Māle, cKBe & cK1

I like what I like, so sue me!

Max - what kind of personality do you want to project? Will you be playing sports while wearing fragrance? How do you dress? What is your budget?

This will help us recommend something.

Max, which fragrances do you own already or do you like? Do you prefer light citrussy or heavy sweet scents or something else?

I have a school uniform :P, and I can get anything up to 100$ I guess. Not more that's for sure. This will be my first cologne and I want to impress the ladies. But yeah school uniform I want to get the attention of this girl.

Blog Entries

I personally prefer fresh and/or aquatic fragrances, and of the ones I have that would work great for you are the already mentioned Bvlgari Aqva and Versace Pour Homme. Both are really versatile and smell great. To me VPH is like a more mature Acqua di Gio. It has some similarities to AdG, but I think its better.

Also, I can't believe no one has mentioned Cool Water yet. That was my High School fragrance, and it's still popular/great today.

Yes, it was too hard to pick just one...sorry.

If i was you i would go for maybe Hugo Boss Engerise.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Yeah_True View Post
    This will be my first cologne and I want to impress the ladies. But yeah school uniform I want to get the attention of this girl.
    You can consider posting on the Female board to ask for suggestions on recently popular scents. That would possibly get you some perspectives from our dear ladies. I won't throw in new suggestions since it would probably just make narrowing down more difficult, but I'll cast my vote for the already-mentioned (by funhuntr) Bulgari Aqua. Worth a sniff for sure! All the best.

2nd Hugo Boss Energise or Givenchy Pi (sweet sweet sweet ladies in any age love sweet scents you can hang out with older ones too ;D)
    Last edited by yrk; 15th December 2009 at 08:22 PM.
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

I agree with thgolfer. Cool Water is affordable, not complex and a crowd pleaser. Not overpowering, but readily apparent to passers-by. If you wanted something sweet / gourmand, you might consider A*men. If you wanted spicy, you might consider Antidote. None of these will clear the room or be offensive, yet you won't blend in too much with the aqua / fresh fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    You can consider posting on the Female board to ask for suggestions on recently popular scents. That would possibly get you some perspectives from our dear ladies.
    I'll save you the trouble and tell you what they will: it's the guy wearing the scent and not the scent that's going to get the female attention. Pay attention to her and be a gentleman. If you are wearing a fragrance, just make sure you aren't "cologne guy."

Another big theme that comes out of the womens' board: the very fact that a guy pays enough attention to his personal grooming to apply a subtle scent is attractive, in many cases. The specific scent doesn't matter as much as the idea of a nice scent being worn.

So don't freak out too about this too much. Buy a scent that you enjoy and feel comfortable/confident in because you will determine how much you impress her, not your scent.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 15th December 2009 at 08:44 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Hugo Boss Energise is a good recommendation.

Please thread starter DO NOT get A*Men.. Your classmates will hate you. And you will NOT be able to wear it in summer.
    Last edited by Regis Philbin; 15th December 2009 at 08:55 PM.

Dependent

I'll save you the trouble and tell you what they will: it's the guy wearing the scent and not the scent that's going to get the female attention. Pay attention to her and be a gentleman. If you are wearing a fragrance, just make sure you aren't "cologne guy."

Another big theme that comes out of the womens' board: the very fact that a guy pays enough attention to his personal grooming to apply a subtle scent is attractive, in many cases. The specific scent doesn't matter as much as the idea of a nice scent being worn.

So don't freak out too about this too much. Buy a scent that you enjoy and feel comfortable/confident in because you will determine how much you impress her, not your scent.
    Bull's eye!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Bull's eye!

To add to LiveJazz's good advice, learn to play guitar...

Quote Originally Posted by ortho123 View Post
    To add to LiveJazz's good advice, learn to play guitar...
    One year of playing and counting :P.

Is she into Twilight? You could mess up your hair, glare at everyone and act like a little emo vampire. Apparently chick dig that.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 15th December 2009 at 10:29 PM.

dude...i would say to go to the mall or local drugstore and sample a bunch...i got into cologne when i was about 18 years old...i started with stuff like eternity and davidoff echo, they are very nice and unoffensive, but over time i strated reading articles on different stuff and learning notes by comparing them to others at the counters and eventually comparing my own thoughts with those of others.

some that i like that are any age appropriate and non offensive:
    john varvatos(original)
    antidote by viktor and rolff
    kiehls musk(in moderation)
    tommy bahama set sail for south sea
    ckbe
    body shop white musk men
    bulgari pour homme

Cant go wrong with any of these at any age in my opinion...and none are too expensive either!!
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

I recall a lot of guys my age in High school wore Jovan Musk, Pierre Cardin, and Brut. I wore Grey Flannel, Polo, and Azzaro Pour Homme. These were by far the most popular frags in New York back in the 70's

Blog Entries

When I was 15, Polo Sport and Tommy were all too common. It's funny that at the time, I broke the mold by wearing, of all things, Acqua Di Gio. Nowadays for high school, if I could take a dip into the fountain of youth to knock off 10 years, I'd probably wear something like Bulgari Aqua, Givenchy Blue Label, YSL L'Homme, 212, Allure Sport, Versace Dreamer (at least the D&G PH-like lemon allows me to get away with wearing it in spring), Geir Ness (expensive, but lasts forever cuz you'll only need 1 spray), or L'eau Par Kenzo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    When I was 15, Polo Sport and Tommy were all too common. It's funny that at the time, I broke the mold by wearing, of all things, Acqua Di Gio. Nowadays for high school, if I could take a dip into the fountain of youth to knock off 10 years, I'd probably wear something like Bulgari Aqua, Givenchy Blue Label, YSL L'Homme, 212, Allure Sport, Versace Dreamer (at least the D&G PH-like lemon allows me to get away with wearing it in spring), Geir Ness (expensive, but lasts forever cuz you'll only need 1 spray), or L'eau Par Kenzo.
    Best post. Sadly enough I've owned every cologne mentioned

Givenchy Blue Label and Allure Sport are lady killers. Blue in particular is ridiculous as getting compliments.

Ok so today I got a sample of both Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male and Chanel Allure Sport Homme on each wrist, and while I liked each of them, I found that although I don't know much about cologne, Chanel's Allure Sport Homme seemed really basic. Is it just my nose or do you guys see that too? But from what I read, the girls really dig it, so I don't know. Are those two good choices? Remember I live in Canada and I want it for winter. I liked Le Male but I'm not sure how others will like it. And as far as I know, not many people in my school wear cologne. Not too many.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Regis Philbin View Post
    Best post. Sadly enough I've owned every cologne mentioned

Givenchy Blue Label and Allure Sport are lady killers. Blue in particular is ridiculous as getting compliments.
    Haha, out of my list, I've owned Aqua, 212, Geir Ness, and L'eau Par Kenzo. The rest, I've had samples of or at least sprayed on myself. I do tend to grab my sample of Allure Sport by default when I don't feel like reaching for any of my bottles. I still have a tiny decant of 212 that I made before I sold it. Nice mossy transparent scent that's kinda sweet. Sorta crisp and metallic. I rocked that one at a Kanye West concert and daily at work. I gave my L'eau Par Kenzo to a friend who walked into a Sephora with me in Vegas and really liked it. There was just .25 oz left. Man, I thought the longevity on L'eau Par was pretty shoddy at first, but after a while, I noticed it can stick around for a day if my skin's well moisturized. It's airy and sweet. Bulgari Aqua was one of my favorites of all time. I used to wear Acqua Di Gio and the citrus marine reminded me of that, but intensified, no fluff. If you've ever been hanging around at the beach at night, the scent has the same feel. Just sniff it and close your eyes, you'll see what I mean.

The younger crowd tends to gravitate towards Le Male actually. It's creamy and sweet. I "can" be loud and it lasts incredibly long. Actually, that's my first bottle I've owned when I joined Basenotes (outside of Acqua Di Gio when I was in high school). Just don't overdose on it like I did. Man, that was a learning experience on how to wear cologne in general. I did about 7-8 shots and I nearly choked myself to death during a 30 min. car ride. Since it's your first time wearing cologne, please, take everything one spray at a time. You don't want to up your application by 3-4 sprays each time you think it's not strong enough or anything. Spray once and see how you feel about that amount. Then add 1 more spray the next time you wear it. Even for such a strong fragrance as Le Male, you might even not smell it anymore because your senses decided to shut off that particular scent, but it's likely still there.

Now I'm just rambling.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 16th December 2009 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Yeah_True View Post
    Ok so today I got a sample of both Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male and Chanel Allure Sport Homme on each wrist, and while I liked each of them, I found that although I don't know much about cologne, Chanel's Allure Sport Homme seemed really basic. Is it just my nose or do you guys see that too?
    You're probably noticing (correctly) that Allure Sport is not a heavy vanilla bruiser like Le Male. I don't think it's any less complex; it just doesn't aggressively seize your sense of smell in the same way. The two traits are easy to confuse. Personally, I would take the Chanel's paced evolution from sparklingly fresh to prickly spices to subdued sweetness over Le Male's disorganized volley of synthetic minty vanilla. AHS does a great job of bridging the gap between sporty and romantic. Much, much better choice for a high school environment, IMO.

Some of the most "complex" scents I know of - Bois d'Iris, Nostalgia, Geranium pour Monsieur (just sampled: WOW) - for instance, are sheer and ghostly.

That said, it's really your preference that matters...I'm just trying to give some guidance on fragrance generally. If you really like Le Male more, you should get it, but continue to sample others.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 16th December 2009 at 02:54 PM.

I would agree with Fierce.. I got a LOT of compliments on it. Since I did, I stuck with it. But I also had:

Candies for Men
    Fierce
    Nautica Classic
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme
    Versace Man Eau Fraīche

I no longer enjoy Nautica Classic but all the others are still great in my book.

Just FYI when I was in HS my signature scent was Givenchy- PI and it got pretty good female compliments.....however, Its unwearable in the warmer months here.