Code of Conduct

Default Cheap and Chic! DRUGSTORE FRAGS

Hi basenoters!!!

It's almost christmas and i got my christmas bonus!!! yeeeaaaah!! ..... hope you got yours too...jeje

well , my sister sells avon , and browsing the catalogue i saw a special on WILD COUNTRY and BLACK SUEDE , 9.99 for the cologne , deodorant and aftershave balm , so i thought , im going to buy both as they were so cheap...i got the shower gel too for each gift package too....so for less than 30 bucks got to colognes that i have dissed for long time just because they were cheap avon frags...

well i was wrong....

Sometimes i believe we tend to talk about the greatness of CREED or SERGE LUTENS on the reviews and community boards ..but we must not forget that we can find some real gems on these drustore frags ... sometimes this scents are really nice ads to our personal stash ..jejej and really acce$$ible too!!!

So , i think we must always remember what comes first as a perfume aficionado....is not the name or the house...is the scent and what that particular scent does to our senses... i know we all dont share the same taste in fragance , but sometimes we can get the most wonderfull smell from the smaller flower....

by the way i got JOVAN MUSK for men today..and i fell in love once again!!

waiting for your comments

greetings from Mexico!!

PABLOSO

Default Re: Cheap and Chic! DRUGSTORE FRAGS

Old Spice is a great place to start.....Pierre Cardin is pretty cool.....And in memory of my Dad.....British Sterling.
    Gary

I agree that these frags are often not bad at all. However, once you've tried other frags that are similar but a bit better it's hard to reach for it. An example is Stetson. I wore it the other day and I was able to appreciate it on some level, but I kept thinking about how I'd rather be wearing Lalique pour homme (lion) instead. This may be particular to me, but I thought I'd mention it before some people buy a dozen bottles of a "cheapo," only to discover that for an extra $10 they could've bought a frag that is clearly better (and very similar), if they would've known and if they would've looked at a site like scentedmonkey.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Tabu, but it has to be vintage. When I see it in Rite Aide at Christmas time- I always contemplate buying it before I recall 2 years ago when I sprayed on the tester at Walmart and it sure wasn't the same as it was in the 70's. Recently I acquired a vintage Tabu bottle and I love it. Just love it. Somewhere I read that a long time ago it used to be considered expensive, way before it was a drugstore scent.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I agree that these frags are often not bad at all. However, once you've tried other frags that are similar but a bit better it's hard to reach for it. An example is Stetson. I wore it the other day and I was able to appreciate it on some level, but I kept thinking about how I'd rather be wearing Lalique pour homme (lion) instead. This may be particular to me, but I thought I'd mention it before some people buy a dozen bottles of a "cheapo," only to discover that for an extra $10 they could've bought a frag that is clearly better (and very similar), if they would've known and if they would've looked at a site like scentedmonkey.
    I love Stetson! I The drydown is pretty amazing considering its price. I'm curious to smell Lady Stetson now.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Canoe
    English Leather
    Old Spice
    Tabac Original
    Black Suede
    Monsieur Musk
    Sex Appeal

Just some cheapos that i have and like a lot.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've been meaning to try Old Spice OS Signature. I'm kinda young at heart, so those are my kinds of guilty pleasures.

Post Thanks / Like

Hola, Pablo. Que tal?

Seduction in Black/Antonio Banderas is a drugstore fragrance I really like.

Post Thanks / Like

I second especially Tabac Original and Old Spice.

Then, I would also recommend Quorum and Agua Brava.

Post Thanks / Like

Pablo, bienvenido a Base Notes!

There are plenty I really enjoy:

Agua Brava
    Quorum
    Canoe
    Old Spice
    British Sterling
    Royal Copenhagen
    Tabu

Jovan Musk: for not an amazing amount of money you can get Kiehl's musk. It is an imporved version of Jovan's.

Take in mind, if looking for longevity, these are no good options though.

Post Thanks / Like

The whole CUBA line. Cheap, cheap, CHEAP! But very good. Especially Red, Black, and Gold.
    Current Wardrobe (in no particular odor, HAHA!):

Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Silver Mountain Water, Creed Himalaya, Creed Tabarome, Aramis Havana, Bond No.9 Central Park, Trussardi Inside, Fahrenheit Absolute, Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme, Guerlain L'Instant Homme, David Beckham Signature, Cartier Declaration Essence, Azzaro Visit, Azzaro Silver-Black, Azzaro Pure Vetiver, Dunhill X-Centric, Perry Ellis Reserve, Armani Attitude, Armani Mania, Bvlgari Aqva, Jacomo Paradox Green, Canali Summer Night, Kouros Cologne Sport, Realm Men, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, St. Patrick, Cuba (Red, Green, Gold, Black, Grey, Brown, Maya), Opium Pour Homme EDP, Banana Republic Cordovan, Amouage Epic Man, J. Peterman 1902, Bogart City Tower.

Post Thanks / Like

well ive moved on my top wish list: Rose Tea (less than 20 bucks for 4oz) too bad in poland its not available but im waiting when any of my friends will order from any abroad shop, i had opportunity to buy Jovan scents too but i didnt realize that they were available (sex appeal and white musk [im really into trying white musk] 8-9bucks for 3oz) 3 days ago and I get only Roma Uomo
    Last edited by yrk; 16th December 2009 at 04:03 PM.
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

Post Thanks / Like

I reach for Wild Country all the time, it really is a fantastic classic floral musk and so comforting…smells very “mid-century” to me. Classic Americana!

I’m very curious about Black Suede, if it’s the same quality and if it will give me that same classic feeling or not. My wife got me the Wild Country set last Christmas…I’ll have to put a bug in her ear about Black Suede for this year!
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Post Thanks / Like

My dad was an Aqua Velva man, and I still enjoy a good splash of it every now and then. The pain from hitting the freshly scraped skin on my face makes me grimace all day....

Teddius

Bruno Banani is good

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    I reach for Wild Country all the time...
    Agree on that, I forgot to mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    I’m very curious about Black Suede, if it’s the same quality and if it will give me that same classic feeling or not...
    Black Suede might be for those liking Dunhill for Men (1934) and Versace L'Homme (1984), for they share an amazing amount of notes.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

First but probably not the last to mention Grey Flannel.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here goes Matthew Foo. Grey Flannel

Post Thanks / Like

Yup Grey Flannel is pretty wonderful stuff. And Aramis is very much a drug store frag in the States, and to me as stylish and masculine a leather chypre as you'll find. In a drug store. On the shelves.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brut
    Pinaud Clubman
    Last edited by Dennard; 17th December 2009 at 06:15 PM.

Some of these scents are cheap because they have been around for a long time. I've read that a fragrance like Tabac Original, which is very cheap nowadays, used to be quite an expensive fragrance in the years after it was launched.

Just like most Bob Dylan CD's can be bought quite cheap, while they were full price and very high quality just after their release. And the music on this CD's remains very good! It's just that most people think that when something is made more than 20, 30, 40 or more years ago, it must be dated and inferior. But I won't complain, because this tendency makes older quality products a lot cheaper!

santa fe which many have said smell like caron 3rd man

I have only tested it one time and thought it was good

can be had for 10 bucks or less for a big bottle

I still haven't tried Old Spice. But my favorite drugstore cheapies so far are Tabac Original (classic barbershop) and Jovan Sex Appeal (cinnamon apple cider).