Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Are you Over Bond 9 Scents?

I own 3 Bond 9 scents: Central Park (Patchouli, Cedar and Verbena) , Riverside Drive (Musk, Sandalwood and Pineapple) and Eau De New York.

I love Central Park and Riverside Drive as my spicy scents, but otherwise, I am underwhelmed by Bond 9.

I went back to the Bond9 Counter this weekend. I smelled Wall Street which smells just like "Unforgivable" by Sean John and Chez Bond which is like "Cool Water" or "GIT" and yet, even the new Saks for men smelled like Polo Black or Armani Mania, nothing special.

I dont know about any of you, but I am kind of over bond 9 scents. It seems as if every new release in the past 5 years from Bond 9 is always a "Vanilla/Patchouli/Fruity" type gourmand.

No thank you! I want a spicy new masculine mens fragrance and the lady at the Bond 9 counter said about 80- 90% of their scents are more on the feminine side.

She told me to try the new "Brooklyn" but it smelled like "Fresh Geranium" It was a gorgeous bottle but such poor lasting power and after 1/2 an hour , POOF! Gone!

I think I will try the new Frederic Malle or Serge Lutens, but as far as Masculine scents go, I think I am officially done with Bond 9!

Are any of you also Over Bond 9 men's fragrances?

Default Re: Are you Over Bond 9 Scents?

If you wanted a spicy masculine she should have had you try Andy Warhol Silver Factory, spice, incense, iris/violets, etc. The new Harrods Oud is supposed to be awesome, and would have fit your spice masculine requirements.

I don't think Bond no. 9 has many fans here to start with though. I love Chinatown and Andy Warhol Silver Factory, but pretty much none others.

I am half south asian and I dont like Andy Warhol Silver Factory,smells just like walking inside a hindu temple or mosque in India. Nothing but incense and some violet. Its not my thing

I think Wall Street smells more like a cross between Erolfa and Bvlgari Acva. Riverside is great but, for my money It's Wall Street or New Haarlem. Otherwise I think your exactly right, most of it is either unimpressive or is just an overpriced version of something else.

I haven't actually had the opportunity to try any Bond scents yet, although a few of them look pretty inviting. I've got my eye on Eau de New York and New Haarlem; they're so hard to find here in Australia that it's difficult to be over them.

Thanks! This is my Bond 9 Comparison list

Wall Street- Imperial Milesime / Erolfa - or Erolfa/ Bulgari Aqua
    Chez Bond- Cool Water ( why would anyone pay 200 bucks to smell like cool water is beyond me!?)
    New Harleem- Rochas Man
    Saks For Him- Every other Polo black or Armani Mania scent at Macys & Sephora
    Park Avenue-- Bulgari Femme or Laila by Geir Ness
    Fire Island- Hawaiian Tropics Sun tan lotion
    Great Jones - Paco Rabanne
    Chelsea Flowers- Creed Spring Flowers
    Astor Place-- Jadore by Dior
    Little Italy- Smells just like the "Satsuma " Japanese tangerine line at the Body Shop.
    Brooklyn - A beautiful bottle gone wrong, some citrus and geranium, thats about it!
    Andy Warhol Silver Factory-- Ravi Shankars Kitchen

The only Bond 9 Scents that are truly unique and unlike anything else out there...

Eau De New York
    Central Park
    Riverside Drive
    Chinatown
    Nuits de Noho
    Westside
    Success is a job in NYC

Never liked any I tried (4 or 5) so there was nothing to get over.

Only one that was remotely interesting to me was the Warhol Silver Factory one.. but other than that, this line definitely isn't for me.

If Laurice proceeds with the reformulations of some of them as she's indicated, I will be so "over" them.

Dependent

I'm can't be over them, yet. I just started. I own Gramercy Pack, and it wasn't too long ago that the Sephora's here (yep the one in Singapore is quite new) has Bond, so I haven't had the opportunity/time to sample most if not all their stuff yet. I really enjoy my Gramercy Park.

Though I have to say that Bond 9 is not my priority to sample at the moment.

How is the actual quality of their scents? I.e. sillage, longevity, complexity of drydown???

BondNo9 is a ruthless cash cow whose scents are almost always a shameless copy of other scents already in existence. To my mind, of course. I'm SO over them.

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    Only one that was remotely interesting to me was the Warhol Silver Factory one.. but other than that, this line definitely isn't for me.
    + 1.

Quote Originally Posted by EarNoseThroat View Post
    If Laurice proceeds with the reformulations of some of them as she's indicated, I will be so "over" them.
    More info/source?

I've always thought of Bond No. 9 as the tackiest possible "luxury" brand, even worse than Creed...
    Last edited by tott; 16th December 2009 at 08:13 AM.

I have Central Park and have sampled Riverside Drive, Fire Island, and Wall Street. Although I quite like Central Park, and that's the only limey scent I have, I have been pretty underwhelmed with the other Bond No.9 frags. Creed is far more to my liking.

By the way, if you really like Riverside Drive, you should try to get a bit of Dunhill X-Centric. I saw a review at Fragrantica that said they were almost identical so I tried them both out side by side. They really are similar, and I ended up liking X-Centric better than Riverside Drive. Slightly spicier and more distinctive. Ironically, smells higher class. Which is rather nice, since X-Centric can be had for less than $20 an ounce.
    Last edited by Galleddrim; 16th December 2009 at 04:27 PM.
    Current Wardrobe (in no particular odor, HAHA!):

Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Silver Mountain Water, Creed Himalaya, Creed Tabarome, Aramis Havana, Bond No.9 Central Park, Trussardi Inside, Fahrenheit Absolute, Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme, Guerlain L'Instant Homme, David Beckham Signature, Cartier Declaration Essence, Azzaro Visit, Azzaro Silver-Black, Azzaro Pure Vetiver, Dunhill X-Centric, Perry Ellis Reserve, Armani Attitude, Armani Mania, Bvlgari Aqva, Jacomo Paradox Green, Canali Summer Night, Kouros Cologne Sport, Realm Men, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, St. Patrick, Cuba (Red, Green, Gold, Black, Grey, Brown, Maya), Opium Pour Homme EDP, Banana Republic Cordovan, Amouage Epic Man, J. Peterman 1902, Bogart City Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by EarNoseThroat View Post
    She's probably already started with the reformulations...

Just getting into them, after being underwhelmed initially. I can't remember which ones didn't do it for me, but I've recently stumbled onto Fire Island and New Haarlam, and now I can't wait to try more of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Never liked any I tried (4 or 5) so there was nothing to get over.
    I'm with you, Bigsly. Tried a handful and came away with one opinion: "meh".

I was a fan of them at first, purchasing a number of the first ones released, and though I still am adamant that they aren't necessary clones of other fragrances, I gave up after Hamptons because they just weren't different enough, either.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Blog Entries

What's this reformulation talk? Is it some sort of publicity/attention getting device do you think?

I was over them within days of trying them all.
    Riverside drive is the only one I could wear.

Wall street is just this giant geraniol/Givaudan-orange derivative of MI. People confuse it with Erolfa because WS has so much geraniol that they smell as equivalent to erolfa's salt. AFA derivatives of MI ? The Multi-Platinum version of unforgivable is better than Wall street IMHO.

I do like several of their scents on females:
    Bryant Park
    Scent of Peace
    New Haarlem
    Gramercy Park

But overall, I feel the line is way overpriced, as it is essentially just derivatives of popular contemporary designer scents, with little-to-no increase in ingredient quality, no improvement in taste whatsoever, just an improvement in concentration and lasting power.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 16th December 2009 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galleddrim View Post
    I have Central Park and have sampled Riverside Drive, Fire Island, and Wall Street. Although I quite like Central Park, and that's the only limey scent I have, I have been pretty underwhelmed with the other Bond No.9 frags. Creed is far more to my liking.

By the way, if you really like Riverside Drive, you should try to get a bit of Dunhill X-Centric. I saw a review at Fragrantica that said they were almost identical so I tried them both out side by side. They really are similar, and I ended up liking X-Centric better than Riverside Drive. Slightly spicier and more distinctive. Ironically, smells higher class. Which is rather nice, since X-Centric can be had for less than $20 an ounce.
    Will try the Dunhill. Thanks.

never tried even one of them, probably never will

Blog Entries

I haven't found one I can wear... and have gotten to where I'm less eager to try new ones as they come out. Hubby likes Brooklyn but I'm not too fond of it on him. (He hasn't bought it yet-- and I'm not going out of my way to encourage him to!)

by the way, what are the prices over there for a bottle?

here its like $285 for a 100ml edp

Two years ago, I didn't believe anyone on these boards who claimed them to be derivative, synthetic, boring, and as Dimitri so well put it a "cash cow". I now own Bleecker Street and Wall Street. Slowly the wool that had been pulled over my eyes began to come off. I now stand, jaded by the industry and firmly in the camp decrying the "fragrance" machine that is Bond no. 9. I'm sorry, everyone was right, they are insipid, chemically synthetic waste that honestly give a bad name to the beautiful bottles they're in. My one and only true love from Bond was and still remains Bleecker Street, because they did something with violet that I haven't experienced in any other frag since, but even through my love I'm able to see how incredibly synthetic it is. I'm DONE with Bond no. 9, I don't get excited for each month's new release anymore, because one look at the notes and I know it's going to be a designer offshoot loaded with enough chemicals to knock down bystanders at 100 yards. No thanks!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

There are only 3 I really like and own:

Bleecker
    Riverside
    Coney Island

all the rest meh...

I like some but don't love them (my fav was Chinatown *shrug*). They are too damned expensive and boring for me to warrant getting them a bottle ever again... until the price drops.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    But overall, I feel the line is way overpriced, as it is essentially just derivatives of popular contemporary designer scents, with little-to-no increase in ingredient quality, no improvement in taste whatsoever, just an improvement in concentration and lasting power.
    This is pretty much my impression of the brand. I have to be straight up and say I have never owned one (apart from a never opened 50 ml Chinatown I picked up at 50% off for reference) but I got handed lots (I mean scores) of the little bonbon samplers and I TRIED but failed to find one that even interested me.

If it's true about the improvement in concentration and lasting power then I guess the appeal could be there for those who want amped up sillage and longevity at any cost. But still, I just don't see the logic in paying the same prices or more for uber-potent derivative scents when there are so many original and truly creative ones out there? These things cost more than many Malles, Lutens, Amouages . . . I just dont get it.

I think alot of their frags are nice. Worth the money? Probably not. I absolutly love Central Park and didnt hesitate to pluck down $140 for it.

Many of them are very nice. I would put them on par with Chanel as far as a men's fragrance house. Which means they are way overpriced, currently. Top them out at about $70 for a new bottle (3.3 OZ) and you have a good value for the cash.

The only real show stopper was Central Park, which I hung onto for about 2.5 years.

For me, it was over before it really started.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Two years ago, I didn't believe anyone on these boards who claimed them to be derivative, synthetic, boring, and as Dimitri so well put it a "cash cow". I now own Bleecker Street and Wall Street. Slowly the wool that had been pulled over my eyes began to come off. I now stand, jaded by the industry and firmly in the camp decrying the "fragrance" machine that is Bond no. 9. I'm sorry, everyone was right, they are insipid, chemically synthetic waste that honestly give a bad name to the beautiful bottles they're in. My one and only true love from Bond was and still remains Bleecker Street, because they did something with violet that I haven't experienced in any other frag since, but even through my love I'm able to see how incredibly synthetic it is. I'm DONE with Bond no. 9, I don't get excited for each month's new release anymore, because one look at the notes and I know it's going to be a designer offshoot loaded with enough chemicals to knock down bystanders at 100 yards. No thanks!
    I'm glad you've seen the light! I remember getting some guff for some not-so-nice things I said about them.

ps - I still love Chinatown. How I wish it was made by *anyone* else...even Creed! *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    What's this reformulation talk? Is it some sort of publicity/attention getting device do you think?
    I cannot remeber who but someone on here posted that they heard Silver Factory and Wall Street are being reformulated for the IFRA regulations in 2010. Supposedly confirmed by Laurice herself. I ended up buying a bottle of Silver Factory even though I rarely wear it because of this. Whether or not t's true remains to be seen.

I've posted about this before so I'll keep it short. When I first got in to niche scents I was exploring Creef and Bond. At that time bond smelled way too strong and very synthetic especially compaired to Creed. I know creed isn't exactly natural besides their claims but by comparison they smell organic. I as really turned off by how strong and harsh most of them were. Fast forward two years and I guess my nose has become less sensitive to them and they don't smell as strong but they do still smell very synthetic. I think they strategy is to make their scent more concentrated than needed so that they are the olfactory equivilent of a neon light. More is better right? Take Bleecker Street for example. It's nuclear strength opening has on more than one occassion sent me straight to olfactory fatigue and I believe has caused me to be less sensitive to scents with less concentration. I really have to spray with a light hand with most Bonds. Sometimes I even dab.

I could be crazy but that's what Ive noticed.
    Last edited by Futami; 16th December 2009 at 09:26 PM.

I've tried almost all of them and have only bought one bottle: New Haarlem, which is way better than Rochas Man, to me. The rest are, as one poster put it, "meh."
    someone please stop me from buying more cologne.

top five: 1) Creed Vintage Tabarome 2) Creed Windsor 2) Serge Lutens Chergui 3) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 5) MFK Lumiére Noire Pour Homme

Sur la Plage

I only like a few (New Haarlem, Great Jones, H.O.T. Always, Silver Factory). The rest I either dislike or just find mediocre.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Are you Over Bond 9 Scents?

I like the Bond 9 scents but, I just think the pricing on Niche fragrances is getting out of hand.

I think Harrods for him was very nice, Harrods for her was rubbish.

All the bottle worth ones I own now and I'd consider picking up Broadway Nite or getting a large decant of it but that's it. I think the majority of their fragrances is very meh but most of them are just too damn light or..generic? in my taste.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

This is soo ridiculous!! Whoever started this blog clearly has NO knowledge of Niche Perfume. Bond is proven to be the most successful line in every store for a reason!! Their fragrances are all so unique and the best quality, they don't even compare to Creed or any other designer. Atleast Bond doesn't try and make up stories about the prince/ dukes/ dead celebrities etc. that is total BULL and portrays a false image for Creed! Bond is totally LEGIT, top quality, and proves why New York is the best city in the WORLD!!

Quote Originally Posted by 55karl View Post
    This is soo ridiculous!! Whoever started this blog clearly has NO knowledge of Niche Perfume. Bond is proven to be the most successful line in every store for a reason!! Their fragrances are all so unique and the best quality, they don't even compare to Creed or any other designer. Atleast Bond doesn't try and make up stories about the prince/ dukes/ dead celebrities etc. that is total BULL and portrays a false image for Creed! Bond is totally LEGIT, top quality, and proves why New York is the best city in the WORLD!!
    This is a joke right? Instead of breaking down the insanity of your post, I'll choose one point at random. Who said that Bond is the most successful line at "every" store?
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 17th December 2009 at 12:31 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Lulz. This should be interesting.

*makes popcorn*

mtgprox05: You can simply call Saks and ask them what is their #1 fragrance!

You do realize there is a reason why right? And no it's not because the juice is unique or of the highest quality. It's because it's front and center in flashy bottles and they shove it down your damn throat. I don't know if you have been following BN for a long time or not, but Bond is pretty notorious for copying other more successful fragrances. It's not a secret, it's well known.

Red face Re: Are you Over Bond 9 Scents?

I visit Saks Short Hills often and the Bond counter is always flooded with people. Luckily, i know the bond gal pretty well so she always give me the newest samples to test... and of course i always purchase it... the lastest Signature scent is divine.. finally an oud that i AND my boyfriend can wear!

Saks is not 'every store'. And when did sales all of a sudden equate to quality? I've always disliked Bond's and have never been secretive about it, even when it had a better reputation on these boards.

Quality?! Celine Dion, anyone?

Top quality? The best quality?!

Hahahahahahhahahahahahah. Thank you. I needed that laugh.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 17th December 2009 at 12:48 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

It's interesting looking at your past posts. Every single post on the first page of them is either pushing Bond, or hating on another company...almost always Creed. Do you have an agenda, or has Bond actually won you over so fully that you'll no longer speak well of any other brand? I hope you're getting something good out of the deal!

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    It's interesting looking at your past posts. Every single post on the first page of them is either pushing Bond, or hating on another company...almost always Creed. Do you have an agenda, or has Bond actually won you over so fully that you'll no longer speak well of any other brand? I hope you're getting something good out of the deal!
    Wow, Sofresh you're completely right. Odd, to say the least.

Some of them (Bleecker, Riverside...) are certainly nice enough for me to own, but no way will I pay full retail price for them.

Basenotes Plus

*snicker* This is a blog??

Do stick around and educate us ignorant folks here about niche perfumery.. And learn to read. No one here claims Bond to be fake, or of poor quality, or that NY city sucks. The problem is about the perceived lack of originality/inspiration in a good no. of Bond #9 releases... #1 seller in Saks = best fragrance? Haha. But hey, if you love them, more power to you..
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 17th December 2009 at 02:28 AM.

Blog Entries

The plot thickens!!!!

Morning Star

You can simply call Saks and ask them what is their #1 fragrance!
    Shopping for fragrances at Saks Fifth Avenue has actually become a somewhat unpleasant experience primarily because of their ruthless promotion of Bond No. 9, a company which is the veritable poster child for fragrance marketing over substance. Saks has gotten so bad about it that the only time I now go to their fragrance counter in Beverly Hills is half an hour before closing. By then, all the glassy-eyed automaton Stepford Wife fragrance SAs have been reprogrammed to abandon their posts to the blissfully clueless tie and shirt salesmen. So then I can finally shop peacefully without having an endless flurry of those damned paper subway token cards wafting under my schnoz.

No.....Not me.....I'm getting 2 new Bonds for Christmas.....Can't wait!!!!!
    Gary

and proves why New York is the best city in the WORLD!!
    If New York is the best city in the world, then why are you living in Aruba?

P.S. I no longer consider Bond No.9 to be niche. It's just overpriced mainstream.

Central Park is nice, and I don't regret buying a bottle.
    Current Wardrobe (in no particular odor, HAHA!):

Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Silver Mountain Water, Creed Himalaya, Creed Tabarome, Aramis Havana, Bond No.9 Central Park, Trussardi Inside, Fahrenheit Absolute, Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme, Guerlain L'Instant Homme, David Beckham Signature, Cartier Declaration Essence, Azzaro Visit, Azzaro Silver-Black, Azzaro Pure Vetiver, Dunhill X-Centric, Perry Ellis Reserve, Armani Attitude, Armani Mania, Bvlgari Aqva, Jacomo Paradox Green, Canali Summer Night, Kouros Cologne Sport, Realm Men, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, St. Patrick, Cuba (Red, Green, Gold, Black, Grey, Brown, Maya), Opium Pour Homme EDP, Banana Republic Cordovan, Amouage Epic Man, J. Peterman 1902, Bogart City Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    Shopping for fragrances at Saks Fifth Avenue has actually become a somewhat unpleasant experience primarily because of their ruthless promotion of Bond No. 9, a company which is the veritable poster child for fragrance marketing over substance. Saks has gotten so bad about it that the only time I now go to their fragrance counter in Beverly Hills is half an hour before closing. By then, all the glassy-eyed automaton Stepford Wife fragrance SAs have been reprogrammed to abandon their posts to the blissfully clueless tie and shirt salesmen. So then I can finally shop peacefully without having an endless flurry of those damned paper subway token cards wafting under my schnoz.

I gotta agree. One of the Saks down really push that line too hard. I was hanging out the other day trying to sniff some stuff I alway mean to but never do. Anyways, I came across Fracas and was sniffing the bottle when the Bond SA snuck up on me and said "if you like Fracas you'll love Bond Saks for Her". He proceeded to follow me around and do this for two other fragrances until I asked to be left alone. The other Saks is less aggressive thank god.

Oh, man. I don't know where to start.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I'm pretty ambivalent about Bond. Overpriced? Yeah, but I paid $35 for my 85% 50ml Bleecker via BN. I like it for that price.

If I feel that I've received pretty good value for the money I paid, that's good enough for me.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 17th December 2009 at 11:59 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by coastfansocal View Post
    Are any of you also Over Bond 9 men's fragrances?
    No. I'm getting ready to propose to my bottle of Chez Bond. Yes, it is similar to GIT - but the sillage and longevity beat the shit out of GIT, and I find it works better on most people's skin.

Next: bottle of riverside drive.

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about so I bought some samples. One was male, two were unisex, and the other two were female. They all seemed nice but for what they were asking for a bottle I just couldn't ever see myself paying. But the one male sample (Great Jones) wasn't too bad. I'd buy a used bottle if I could find one at a good price. I have yet to find a bottle of overpriced cologne that just blows me away and makes me want to open my wallet.