Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a WOODY Iris

Hey guys, I've gone from someone who truly detested iris in all of its interpretation to someone who cautiously enjoys certain versions of it. I dislike when the powdery nature of iris is emphasized but fine myself enjoying it used in a more gourmand approach or when it is a backdrop to a woody fragrance. While I personally love Dior Homme Cologne and enjoy Iris Taizo, I'm looking for a fragrance more in line with L'Homme de Couer. To give an idea of what I've tried I'll list them:

Iris Silver Mist: Do not like! Too hardcore for me, too carroty, too rooty, too cold.

Iris Taizo: Delicious iris, almost smells like sugar cookies to me. But a different take on iris than what I'm looking for.

Bois d'Iris: Love it! Something in this category would be great.

L'Homme de Couer: As much as I do enjoy it, and would like to find something in this category, it doesn't feel right wearing it. It feels to familiar, almost Creed like, in it's lack of personality of :"perfectness".

Iris Bleu Gris: I question the quality of the sample I have because I seriously get green cumin and that's it.

I'm sure there's others I've tried at some point but this should be a good start.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: Looking for a WOODY Iris

Mtg, if you can manage to get your hands on a sample of XerJoff's MODOC, from their shooting stars collection, i think this will satisfy all your woody iris desires!! Its a stunner, using true butter of Florentine Iris and vetiver within a woody, musky frame.
    This one is skyrocketing up my "want to buy" list!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 16th December 2009 at 09:46 PM.

I'm afraid at $295 a pop, Iris Pallida just might be the one for you. It was so special to me, that I had to buy another bottle because it's a limited edition. It's a very eerie iris infact. To the wearer, it's quiet and restrained...to the public though, it encompasses you in an aura of iris, iris and more iris. It's got a very faint berry note that only adds to the woodiness of the scent. I find the sillage and longevity increases x-fold with the fragrance sprayed on clothes rather than skin. Try it...you might like it...or love it! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! :d

Basenotes Institution

Try Hermessence Paprika Brasil by Hermes if you like Bois d' Iris. Same perfumer - slightly similar results with the Hermes having a bit more woody/salty character.

if you are fine with a very realisitic illusion of Iris and woods thn, give Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fuave a try.

One other you may want to add to your sample list is Hermes Hiris. but thn, im not sure it'll satify your woodsy cravings this one has a lovely tinge of white and violet florals along with rooty, earthy undertones.

Another really nice iris to check out is Cartiers Le heure d' promise. It's a really nice transparent iris on a woody base. I don't get any powder in this one. I see a bottle of this in my future.

Edit: I can't recommend this one anymore. After spending some more time with it Ive come to realize it has dismal longevity. The iris is so fleeting that it's basically just a top note and the base is a nice but generic white musk.
    Last edited by Futami; 23rd December 2009 at 03:47 AM.

If you love Bois d'Iris, then why look any further? Folks here know that I'm a big fan of BdI, and that was the first fragrance I thought of when I saw the title of your post. I also second Iris Pallida, but it's pricey. Try before you buy.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

You might want to check - if you can find it - MPG's Bois de Turquie. This is somewhere between a woody/gourmand/spice scent, and the iris is - while definitely present - well blended and doesn't take center stage.

One of my all-time favorite scents.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Try Hermessence Paprika Brasil by Hermes if you like Bois d' Iris. Same perfumer - slightly similar results with the Hermes having a bit more woody/salty character.
    Wow, I think this is a great suggestion. Until today, I had completely neglected my sample of this one based only on its name. After your recommendation I got it out and I'm surprised at how similar it is to Bois d'Iris! I can definitely see how it might fit what mtg is looking for.

I think I still prefer Bois d'Iris, especially since it's a bit less expensive than Paprika Brasil, but it's certainly worth comparing the two.

Great recommendations guys. None of them I've tried! One thing's for sure, you've all got expensive taste.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I agree with Mike's suggestion for Hermessence Paprika Brazil - it is a fragrance that is not an obvious choice for iris - almost more wood than iris. It has a quirky sharp scent but I keep coming back to it. Dzongka from L' Artisan is also a nice lychee, inncense, smoked tea leather. The iris does stand out in this one and makes it special. Test it.

I also really like the brand new Van Cleef & Arpels Bois d' Iris - a very soft iris with wood that is a minimalist iris statement. I've only seen this one at Nieman Marcus. I don't know when I've smelled a better dry wood iris scent and I am trying to talk myself into a bottle.

A different direction, but 28 La Pausa is a great, natural smelling iris with a green undertone.

Paprika Brazil is beautifully done but on me disappointingly fleeting. I did blow through a decant in record time, though. Sel de Vetiver might be a possibility if you count vetiver in the woodsy category.

Quote Originally Posted by jwpianoboe View Post
    Wow, I think this is a great suggestion. Until today, I had completely neglected my sample of this one based only on its name. After your recommendation I got it out and I'm surprised at how similar it is to Bois d'Iris! I can definitely see how it might fit what mtg is looking for.

I think I still prefer Bois d'Iris, especially since it's a bit less expensive than Paprika Brasil, but it's certainly worth comparing the two.
    OK, you got my attention, guys!
    Not being a fan of pepper notes, I need to ask how much paprika is in Paprika Brasil? I'm conjuring Hungarian Goulash, which is not good AFAIC. If the paprika is in name only, I'll definitely give it a try.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

It sounds like you prefer warm iris fragrances to cool ones like Hiris and ISM. I do, too. Bois d'Iris and Iris Taizo are two of my favorites.

I second Buzzlepuff's recommendation of Dzongkha, if you haven't already tried it, and if you like the idea of iris+incense.

Another you might look into is Miller Harris Terre d'Iris. To my nose, it's a dusky, earthy iris with a pulpy purple vibe (not sure how else to describe it!). It has some wood in the basenotes. I find it different and very satisfying.
    Last edited by Haunani; 17th December 2009 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Not being a fan of pepper notes, I need to ask how much paprika is in Paprika Brasil? I'm conjuring Hungarian Goulash, which is not good AFAIC. If the paprika is in name only, I'll definitely give it a try.
    I find it to be more of a bell pepper iris…mostly iris though. Lovely underrated scent.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned PG's Felanilla yet? A lovely rendition of the woody-Iris combo.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Blog Entries

I know this is a long shot, but the frag that finally opened up orris root for me is L'Heure Bleue. Do try to track down a sample of the extrait, because that concentration takes the accent off the powdery topnotes and shines the spotlight on the beautiful interplay between the cinnamony, bready orris and the guerlinade base, in all of its boozy tobacco vanilla lightly-woody ever-so-slightly incensed glory.

I know it's not technically what you asked for, but it's the frag that finally broke me of my iris-hatred.

Oh, and light application is the key (it's an extrait - let the concentration do the work - overapplication will result in a bomb of grandma powder)

Oh, and of course, this is another expensive recommendation. Doh!
    Last edited by rogalal; 17th December 2009 at 04:31 AM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Smells nothing like paprika Snafoo. Doesn't even smell 'red' per se...whatever that means. And like sofresh mentioned it has a crisp, bell pepper note that JCE also utilized in Eau de Gentiane Blanche Cologne by Hermes. In the Hermessence Paprika Brasil its far more woodier and as I said, saltier. I used to love wearing it to the gym because it was one of those scents (like Terre de Hermes) that just smells better when I perspired. I miss my bottle.

And yes, I completely forgot about Dzonghka by L' Artisan Parfumeur. A great recommendation for a woody iris. Nonetheless, I hated it when I first sampled it...it was only years later that I started to see what a genius scent it is.

Woody iris I'd recommend the new Bois d'Iris from Van Cleef & Arpels. Definitely try Dzonghka too, for me it's more of a "stony" iris but there's definitely some woods hiding beneath the incense.

And check out 28 La Pausa. I wouldn't say it is particularly woody, but its iris is offset by a fantastic vetiver note, that gives me the impression of green woods without there actually being any.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Great recommendations guys. None of them I've tried! One thing's for sure, you've all got expensive taste.
    Sure do! At €330 ($475) for 50mls, Modoc is waaaaay up there!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I agree with Mike's suggestion for Hermessence Paprika Brazil - it is a fragrance that is not an obvious choice for iris - almost more wood than iris. It has a quirky sharp scent but I keep coming back to it. Dzongka from L' Artisan is also a nice lychee, inncense, smoked tea leather. The iris does stand out in this one and makes it special. Test it.
    Alright, now I need to try the two together. I love Bois d'Iris (was the first thing that popped in my mind on reading the thread title) but I *hated* Paprika Brasil. PB seemed closest to Antonia's Flowers Tiempe Passate to me, another iris suffering from diabetic coma.

Dzongkha is a great option. Me and Duchafour don't get along, so not for me, it isn't, but if it's woody iris you want, you need to sample that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Sure do! At €330 ($475) for 50mls, Modoc is waaaaay up there!
    Ack.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

You maybe should also try Chanel No.19 EDP. It has a beautiful iris note over the dry chypre base.

EDIT: search for the EDP version. The iris is much more detectable in this variation, and the overall fragrance is a lot superior to the EDT.
    Last edited by vitorscpaiva; 17th December 2009 at 10:15 AM.

I was thinking 19 edp as well. Sparkling iris and green, sappy woods--not dried aromatic woods. I get no rose from 19 edp, lots of galbanum, iris, and hyacinth and a bit of cedar in the drydown.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Hmmm....Dior Homme Intense. This one has a lovely heady quality and the prominent Iris notes. Wonderful for winter wear!
    Last edited by graffham; 17th December 2009 at 12:59 PM.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I'm glad I don't have expensive taste or this hobby would break me! Having said that, I would recommend that you try Arpege pour Homme. It is a very attractive Oriental Woody fragrance with a prominent iris note. One of my favorites.

Mtg, if you can manage to get your hands on a sample of XerJoff's MODOC, from their shooting stars collection, i think this will satisfy all your woody iris desires!! Its a stunner, using true butter of Florentine Iris and vetiver within a woody, musky frame.
    This one is skyrocketing up my "want to buy" list!
    I agree with you on this Dimitri. I bought this on a trip to Harrods earlier this year and absolutely love it. It is the best Iris woodsy scent out there Amazing!

I thought that the new Paul Smith Man was supposed to be a woody iris. Cheap too.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Dior Homme with iris in the heart notes and vetiver and patchouli in the base notes.

For those looking for a masculine Dior Homme (erm,does it make sense?) I would suggest:
    Paul Smith Man.
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post

I also really like the brand new Van Cleef & Arpels Bois d' Iris - a very soft iris with wood that is a minimalist iris statement. I've only seen this one at Nieman Marcus. I don't know when I've smelled a better dry wood iris scent and I am trying to talk myself into a bottle.
    I agree with the suggestion of the Van Cleef and Arpels Bois d' Iris and Dzongka. But I must admit that my favourite woody iris is L' Homme de Coeur. I believe that it's character IS the perfect balance of wood, iris and everything nice in it.

I would say my top two in this category would be Dzongkha and Parfumerie Generale's Cuir d'Iris. I would also put Cuir Ottoman up there in woody iris land.

Im surprised Cairo and Dimitri didn't mention Irisss by Xerjoff, its a beautiful woody Iris scent, a must try for ANY iris fan.
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 26th December 2009 at 12:09 PM.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir4 View Post
    Im surprised Cairo and Dimitri didn't mention Irisss by Xerjoff, its a beautiful woody Iris scent, a must try for ANY iris fan.
    I purchased Irisss from Roja Dove Parfumerie in September (the refill; 50ml for 350pounds). After leaving Harrods, I noticed that it turned into a violet-iris scent similiar to La Violette by Annick Goutal. I waited three days to return it, and when I finally did, something happened. I was walking in Park Lane carrying my Harrods bag complete with Irisss and the reciept and someone came behind me and snatched the bag from my hand! At first I thought it was my brother trying to be jackass, but when I realized I was robbed, the asshole who stole my bag was loooong gone. A few people who witnessed the robbery tried to chase him down, but the thief was so fast that nobody could get him. He ran a few blocks, and a witness told me that he grabbed a cab and fled the scene. I was so angry, sad, and basically all kinds of emotions running through my mind. I went to Roja Dove and told the lovely SA that I was going to return Irisss but I was robbed on my way over here. He was so shocked and saddened that he actually got a little teary-eyed. I gave him my information and told him that if someone tried to return the perfume, that the authorities and I would get notified. But alas, nobody notified me; the piece of shit probably sold it on ebay or something. So everytime I see the word, Irisss, I get sad and frustrated and sick to my stomach that someone would actually do this. Sorry for changing the subject a little bit, but I wanted to share my sad experience with you guys and really hope none of you will go through this.
    Irisss really is a fascinating scent. It starts out smelling like Iris Silver Mist but stronger and earthier and less powdery. It then goes through a stage that can be clearly defined as leathery. The drydown was disappointing, for me at least, because it turns very violety.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir4 View Post
    Yes, as far as Iris scents go, its second-to-none.

But Iris and woods are far more prominent in the lovely Modoc!

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    I purchased Irisss from Roja Dove Parfumerie in September (the refill; 50ml for 350pounds). After leaving Harrods, I noticed that it turned into a violet-iris scent similiar to La Violette by Annick Goutal. I waited three days to return it, and when I finally did, something happened. I was walking in Park Lane carrying my Harrods bag complete with Irisss and the reciept and someone came behind me and snatched the bag from my hand! At first I thought it was my brother trying to be jackass, but when I realized I was robbed, the asshole who stole my bag was loooong gone. A few people who witnessed the robbery tried to chase him down, but the thief was so fast that nobody could get him. He ran a few blocks, and a witness told me that he grabbed a cab and fled the scene. I was so angry, sad, and basically all kinds of emotions running through my mind. I went to Roja Dove and told the lovely SA that I was going to return Irisss but I was robbed on my way over here. He was so shocked and saddened that he actually got a little teary-eyed. I gave him my information and told him that if someone tried to return the perfume, that the authorities and I would get notified. But alas, nobody notified me; the piece of shit probably sold it on ebay or something. So everytime I see the word, Irisss, I get sad and frustrated and sick to my stomach that someone would actually do this. Sorry for changing the subject a little bit, but I wanted to share my sad experience with you guys and really hope none of you will go through this.
    Irisss really is a fascinating scent. It starts out smelling like Iris Silver Mist but stronger and earthier and less powdery. It then goes through a stage that can be clearly defined as leathery. The drydown was disappointing, for me at least, because it turns very violety.
    I'm very sad to hear that! I hope redemption is not too far off.

Yes, as far as Iris scents go, its second-to-none.

But Iris and woods are far more prominent in the lovely Modoc!
    Ahh I will investigate this Modoc again!
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Why does Xerjoff need to be SO expensive?