Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Costes 2 by Hotel Costes

Now Smell This reported about a new fragrance from Hotel Costes, Costes 2. The bottle is exactly like the original, but in a solid black bottle. Olivie Giacobetti is the perfumer and the notes are: benzoin, cinnamon, Turkish rose, geranium, orange blossom, and gaiac wood

It sounds like Elixir by Penhaligon's (also by Giacobetti) minus the eucalyptus and the sweeter elements.

Supposedly this is already available at the Hotel Costes in France. Have any French Basenoters have a chance to smell this one?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Costes 2 by Hotel Costes

Hmmm, I hope it's not too linear. That is the problem I had with #1.

Mike you beat me to it. I was just about to start a thread on this one. It's also at beautyhabit. I'm really curious about it.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Ooh, notes sound lovely, and Giacobetti is fantastic. I'm hoping the rose and gaiac are especially prominent.

I wanted to like the first Costes, but my arch nemesis clove ruined it for me.

If this relies more on the sweetness of Neroli/Rose, and less on the Benzoin, it could be a winner.
    Still haven't tried Elixir either, but yes, their notes line up similar.
    Thanks Mike.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Mike you beat me to it. I was just about to start a thread on this one. It's also at beautyhabit. I'm really curious about it.
    Great noses think alike, eh? Wow...I didn't realize Beautyhabit has it, thanks for the heads up.

Don't get too excited...it's not good...at all. Nothing like the first, and nothing I would ever drop cash on. Nice bottle though.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Don't get too excited...it's not good...at all. Nothing like the first, and nothing I would ever drop cash on. Nice bottle though.
    expound plz

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Look forward to reading a review of this on your blog sofresh

I hope this'll stay around longer than say... 10 minutes? Longevity was my top issue wirh #1.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

It's a bland floral...very synthetic (not in a good way), and completely wan. I don't think I could even write a full review on it...there isn't much else to say. I didn't really get any specific notes...just some synthetic jasmine-like vibes. As with most of her creations, it felt diluted. Pretty much opposite to the original Costes.

I only smelled it quickly, because I didn't think it warranted any skin-space. I'll be very surprised if this gets the same following that the original did.

Basenotes Institution

sofresh - is it synthetic in a...Iso-E-Super way? Aldehydes? Deodorant/aquatic/fresh?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    sofresh - is it synthetic in a...Iso-E-Super way? Aldehydes? Deodorant/aquatic/fresh?
    It's not aquatic...it's floral, but in a heavy hedione-ish way (not so much the ingredient itself, but that dilute feeling). Like I said, I didn't give it too much time, so I may be way off base, but from what I remember, it was a middle-of-the-ground floral of no interest.

Ooh, it's a sharp bottle for sure. I probably won't bother though - after I got snubbed by customer service when my shower gel went rancid, I'm done with them.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I love the black bottle. It does not sound like something I would like, though
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution

Well Costes No1 didn't go down well with me at all - spicy pot pourri is what I got. I like the sound of the notes of Costes 2 but I don't think I will sample . 'Bland floral ' and 'synthetic' don't appeal !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 18th December 2009 at 03:49 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I didn't care for the first Costes scent very much, but anything by Olivia Giacobetti is at least worth trying. This one sounds more tempting. I'll let my own nose judge whether it's too bland or synthetic.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

I should have said that anyone interested should still try...sometimes im wrong (rarely...lulz). I was testing a million other things that day, so I may be off base.