Code of Conduct

Default Jaipur Homme: A Lesson Learned.

I had been uncertain about Vibert's championing of Jaipur Homme (EdP, I think, in particular). There was something about it that just didn't work for me. I think it's got too much heliotrope and too little spice, relative to the heliotrope. Whatever it is, I thought that more than a small amount of heliotrope ruined a frag for me. Then I acquired Diesel Zero Plus in a swap. At first, I thought to myself, "oh great, another Jaipur Homme, probably not as good." But I figured I'd give it a chance. Half an hour or so later I began to realize that I was really enjoying it. And that continued for many hours. So, I'm not sure what lesson I learned, but I think the point is that at least for me, a frag with strong heliotrope needs to be balanced just right with spices for it to be enjoyable. Any thoughts on these kinds of frags?
    Last edited by Bigsly; 18th December 2009 at 03:46 AM.

Default Re: Jaipur Homme: A Lesson Learned.

I am a Huge Fan of Jaipur Pour Homme Edp.....this really works well on my skin.....I really enjoy wearing this for sure.....and of course the staying power is fantastic.....no complaints with this one from me.
    Gary

I don't think I've ever smelled heliotrope all by itself. What does it smell like?

I do enjoy Jaipur, but the topnotes (which contain the heliotrope?) are a little iffy. It needs time to settle...the allows the spices to develop and the cloying top to diminish.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 18th December 2009 at 04:30 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Think of play doh with a hint of vanilla. The funny thing for me is that I dislike JH in every way (though I don't hate it), but I found DZP to be very similar yet I really liked it. I have yet to experience this with any other two frags. I guess the closest would be Bogart Pour Homme (really dislike) and Michael for Men (really like), but there are clear and important differences with these two.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 18th December 2009 at 04:37 AM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I agree that JH EDP does not have enough spices to make it the really beautiful oriental it could have been. I have both the EDP and EDT and default to the EDT when i really dont need the heliotrope-forwardness.

All in all, i still think JH is a great frag and i like it a lot.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Jaipur Homme: A Lesson Learned.

I started out with Jaipur Homme edt and then found that the EDP was the way to go. If I wasn't so involved with fragrance I likely would wear Jaipur EDP nearly daily except in the summer. Anyway, Jaipur was an instant entry into my favorites list and still is.

Default Jaipur Homme: A Lesson Learned.

I don't think I've ever smelled heliotrope all by itself. What does it smell like?

Heliotrope I dont sure but I think smell similar like Floral Creamy Almond,,
    but specially Almond / Coconut Milk .

Maybe comes from Heliotropium flowers ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliotropium
    Last edited by 1234567890; 18th December 2009 at 10:45 AM.

I quite like Jauipur Homme Edt - however the weather has been too hot lately to wear it properly.
    Diesel Zero Plus, on the other hand, to me smelt like regurgitated cinnamon donuts mixed with pot-purri.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

To appreciate scents like Jaipur EDP, one has to have a natural flair for finer things in life.

Jaipur homme seems just a little too simple to me. It needs something more. Not that I don't like it, but it's not complex enough to hold my attention.

I agree that you need to let Jaipur settle down for about an hour before the real magic happens. It's extremely powdery at first, which can be off-putting for a lot of people, but let it blend into your skin for a while and you can smell the other spices come to the forefront. I think Jaipur is a brilliant scent, one of my favorites. I have both EDT and EDP and both are great, though I prefer the EDP, due to the fact that the middle notes are more defined and prominent than in the EDT. Can't go wrong with either, though.

By the way, I wear Jaipur all year long, even in summer. Just spray less.
    Last edited by shamu1; 18th December 2009 at 03:07 PM.

Basenotes Plus

As a fan of powdery scents, Jaipur Homme has been a firm favorite of mine from the get- go. But I have yet to decide if I shd go with edt or edp.

Basenotes Institution

The constant comparisons to Habit Rouge (which I love) kept me very curious about Jaipur Homme, so I finally got around to sampling it more recently from a sample. I can see how some might compare it to HR, but it is a very different scent: almost no citrus, much more heliotrope, no Guerlinade, etc.

I have only tested the EDP. For the first 30 minutes, I hated it...just everything that I do NOT LIKE in a masculine fragrance was evident. I almost washed it off the 1st time I smelled it. But give it some time...and you'll be rewarded with an extremely sensuous and very well done mens oriental. I was truly impressed by it the last time I wore it.

I think my discomfort with the top notes will keep me from ever owning a full bottle, but I have a new appreciation for the scent and for a masterful use of heliotrope in a masculine - which, before I tested this, I only appreciated in feminines (Apres L' Ondee and Quand Vient La Pluie by Guerlain; Luctor Et Emergo by People of the Labyrinths)

Oh and 1234567890, the heliotrope accord is created in fragrances synthetically: It is impossible to extract fragrance from a heliotrope flower.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 18th December 2009 at 05:24 PM.

At least part of the problem for me seems to be that I don't get much mixing with skin chemistry, and the top notes often just sit there for hours.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 18th December 2009 at 06:48 PM.

I understand the initial attraction, but I always figure the prerequisite for perceiving this as a great fragrance is that you prefer fake flowers and enjoy endless mundane chatter.

_
    Last edited by pluran; 18th December 2009 at 07:35 PM.

I like Jaipur Homme better on other people than on myself.
    For some reason the smell causes a lot of discomfort in my throat.
    Besides that it has given me a nasty rash or burn on several wearings.

I also agree that it is not a very complex scent.
    I enjoy the citrus in the opening the most but after that it is a linear scent to my (rather untrained) nose.

A tip, don't over apply Jaipur. Just 1 or 2 sprays will do.

I like this one, it reminds me of a day at a great Museum with a loved one or two

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Think of play doh with a hint of vanilla. The funny thing for me is that I dislike JH in every way (though I don't hate it), but I found DZP to be very similar yet I really liked it. I have yet to experience this with any other two frags. I guess the closest would be Bogart Pour Homme (really dislike) and Michael for Men (really like), but there are clear and important differences with these two.
    This is not intended as a slam on you, but perhaps this experience will change your predilection to try and classify scents according to what scents they sound similar (or appear, via notes listings) to.

The tiniest change can make or break a fragrance. I think you do yourself a disservice when you write off so many frags as "sounds too much like X, and I've already got X in my rotation so I'm not going to even try and sample Y."
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 20th December 2009 at 07:39 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Well, I never said that about heliotrope, and I have plenty of frags with this note. JH has just way too much of it, for me. I will continue to avoid blind buying frags if notes like anise and lavender are listed, unless there are enough reviews for me to conclude that those notes are weak.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 20th December 2009 at 07:54 PM.

I do not find Diesel Zero Plus and Jaipur Homme to be similar in any way. They may both be oriental fragrances, but one goes in a gourmand direction and one goes in a powdery direction. They may share a note or two in common, but that is really quite a tenuous link. An omelet and a chocolate cake both share a common ingredient, and they taste completely different.

Was there a reason to introduce this thread with a criticism of Vibert's review of Jaipur Homme?

Not at all. I now understand that Vibert appreciates heliotrope in a strong form, with spices. I prefer the spices strong relative to the heliotrope. My point was that I think this construction is excellent, as did Vibert in his review, but that the balance of JH was a bit off for my tastes. Thinking that these two frags are not similar is beyond my comprehension, so I will refrain from commenting on that idea.

Now let's compare the situation to my dislike of lavender and anise. With these two notes, even small amounts can ruin my appreciation of the frag, and there is no way strong lavender is tolerable. With heliotrope, I don't mind it strong, if there is something to counterbalance it that I enjoy, in this case, cinnamon. That was the "lesson" I referred to in the title.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 20th December 2009 at 09:44 PM.

Post Re: Jaipur Homme: A Lesson Learned.

I find Jaipur Homme a most delightful fragrance,when used in moderation.Heliotrope can be overbearing if applied as you might apply a Citrus fragrance when It's 90 degrees outside. As others have mentioned moderation is the key to this fragrance.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I haven't sniffed the EDP yet, but Jaipur Homme EDT really blew me away. I am very picky and always find something flawed in a scent, but this one i really could not detect anything wrong. For me the best fragrance i've ever encountered till now!

No more heliotrope for you!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Wait, I'm confused....Didn't you give a thumbs up to Jaipur Homme Edp in the fragrance reviews??
    Last edited by EarNoseThroat; 26th December 2009 at 06:40 AM.

Yes, and like several other reviews, I'd like to edit my review, but because it seems to take months for that to happen, I'm not in any rush to do editing unless I know that the new review will appear a lot more quickly. I've even volunteered my time to help speed up the process, but I have yet to hear back on that offer. However, I don't know that I would change it to a neutral, because as I said in the first post, I can understand why Vibert and others like it (I think), but as I said, it has too much heliotrope for me. I have also pointed out that my perception clearly shifts over time, so it's certainly possible that I might again come to appreciate this particular formulation, but at present I prefer the very similar Diesel Zero Plus Masculine (once it gets to the drydown).