Code of Conduct

Default SotD Saturday 19 December

Good morning!

La Rose Angel for me again, getting in the mood for holidays.

Have a wonderful weekend!
    Last edited by tigrushka; 19th December 2009 at 06:24 AM. Reason: fatal error aka sotd bug
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SotD Saturday 19 December

I already know tomorrow is going to be all about Montale's Gold Flower. Saturday is the one day a week I can wear perfume to work so I have lots of time to think about it. I work in a place that has a fragrance-free policy and one of my co-workers makes a fuss if she smells perfume but she doesn't work Saturday!!

Blog Entries

Smile Re: SotD Saturday 19 December

Chamade EDP.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: SotD Saturday 19 December

Mitsouko............evening.

Finally I have a moment to sit down and post here

Today my boyfriend and I bought a BBQ for our house and celebrated an early Xmas with our friends. I wore Mac Naked Honey which I seem to be going through quite quickly, a same because it was LE and I really like it.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far!
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

cedro - acca kappa
    Wishlist is pointless.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I awoke very early today and can't get back to sleep this AM for some reason so..I decided on Jaïpur Homme Edp for today as it is going to be much cooler here than the high 80s F we have been experiencing.
    Last edited by kbe; 19th December 2009 at 09:00 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Basenotes Institution

Hi everyone !
    It's evening for me now and I have dabbed on a little Shalimar EDT vintage - lovely !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I've gone all retro this morning with Mary Qaunt's
    Havoc. Guy Robert was the perfumer who created this
    little number in the silver canister with the daisy logo.
    He also did Caleche, Madame Rochas and Dioressence.
    Havoc is an aldehydic chypre with a metallic, aquous start
    that quickly segues into a light, green floral phase that seems
    to stay bright and cheerful for ages. I can recognise elements of Caleche
    in Havoc, although they are not really twins - more kissing cousins.

Good morning all Today is another day I need to hand out presents to people.Yesterday was a lot of stress,but I have a feeling today will be better.Gonna meet my bestfriend for coffee later. She doesn't live in Tromsø anymore,so the time I get to spend with her is precious! Sotd is Narciso Rodriguez FH.

Maharanih from Nicolaï this very cold day, and we are celebrating Christmas with my daughter and her boy friend today because they are going to South Africa for Chrismas. Maharanih and Cristmas food is a good combination.

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is M. Micallef Sashka Black.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

06130 Lentisque

Enjoy your weekend, everyone!

Good weekend everyone!!! Enjoying Voile de Fleur... Again...

Dependent

Just done with a casual football(soccer) kick-about in the rain soaked field. For the evening:

YSL
    M7
    Top notes: Rosemary, Mandarin Orange, Bergamot.
    Middle notes: Agarwood (Oud), Vetiver.
    Base notes: Amber, Musk.

Blessed weekend, all.

House twins with Matthewfoo, wearing YSL's Cinema

For more work on The Ark (it's been raining non-stop here for EONS) what better than carnations-in-a-bottle....BELLODGIA!

Tinkerbell sent me a mini of vintage parfum (where ARE you Tinks?) a couple years ago and every once in a while - when I need a boost - I haul it out. (I LIVED in this in the sixties) This version is full bodied and softly rounded - almost no pepper and light on the spices but with a full blown rose undercurrent. Lovely ambered dry down with a whiff of vanilla. SO comfy.
    Last edited by TaoLady; 19th December 2009 at 01:34 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I just realised I am currently unscented - what a shocker! I shall go upstairs and spritz on Andy Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain immediately. Perfect incense for a day that is bitterly cold and trying very hard to snow [ah, just looked out of the window and it is snowing. Or what I have decided to refer to as 'snozzling' - a fine mist of flakes equivalent to drizzle]. I have to go and post a couple of letters and buy some cough drops for my Mum before we leave for the trip back to Wales tomorrow. (Mum is a firm believer in the power of Ricola and you know, they really are good.)

My love to all of you. Snowflakes and hugs abound.
    x
    Last edited by Wordbird; 19th December 2009 at 02:04 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I woke up with an overwhelming craving for a vanilla perfume, so I delved into my samples box and took out the last drops of Maison Vanille Tahiti one and on the other wrist I have Lutens Vanilla woods whatever it's called again...

I've had a silly, brilliant, head-explody, stressful and amazing week. Finally sorted out the move - really at the last minute, so it was incredibly tense. I've aged this week. Probably have silver hairs under the red now.

We're in the middle of packing today. Moving on Monday morning!

My grapefruit perfume went down very well. Both Mark and Simon actually liked it. Mark made some suggestions, which I'll be happy to tinker with in January. No idea what'll happen to it, but I will consider sending out some samples to people who are interested.

Might not be online much next week - all depends on whether we can get ourselves sorted at the new place.

If I don't see you - MERRY CHRISTMAS! xxx

Basenotes Plus

Nukapai, best of luck with the move!

Sotd is Guerlain Rose Barbare. Francis Kurkdjian turns the fruity floral on its ear in this elegant, grown up interpretation. Beautiful, honeyed roses with a nice bite of dusty dry patchouli for counterpoint.

Have a lovely Saturday, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

A “hello, newcomer!” greeting to Sharviss. I'm happy you can wear fragrance today.

Potiron, we are going bowling this afternoon (with DD and her BF), and I have to smile at your perception that this activity is exotic. We have four bowling alleys to choose from here.

Knitatnite, glad you like Fats Waller and found my Fumerian joke funny.

Nukapai, congratulations and best wishes for all you're tackling.

Cadjmere 18—I love the vanilla and greens harmony of those top notes. The base notes are snug-wonderful.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Chanel No. 19 parfum

I think I've found a new love.

Have a great weekend!

Tao, best of luck and godspeed with your Arch.

Nuki, relax if you can. Moves can be stressful. I will be very interested in the samples of what you have or will have blended.

Going with Paestum Rose today.

Thumbs up Re: SotD Saturday 19 December

CREED' S

Bois du Portugal

Notes of : Bergamot, Lavender, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Ambergris
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Egoiste (might bump up the rose with Cabaret)
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Hello everyone!

I'm doing homey Christmassy things today like baking cookies and making fudge (and probably pralines) and writing out greeting cards. And for a bit of atmosphere it's snowing. I really wanted my favorite cozy gourmand but my 15ml decant of Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum is empty.

So I chose Pink Sugar and applied it with abandon.

Here I am now -

Blog Entries

C&E Evelyn today as we wait for the snow to come....

Quick SoTD visit, will try to read back and post again later...

Today I'm testing the much-loved Mauboussin, with much thanks to an extremely generous BNer!!!

It's interesting... On first application, Mauboussin is one of those scents I find way too powdery for me (which is weird, because I don't think there are any aldehydes listed - but I'm getting tons of powder). The drydown, however,is quite nice, although with a hint of powder still clings and makes this a fragrance I am not likely to wear much. That said, I can recognize that it IS extremely well done. Those who like their powder and non-cloying fruit notes will be especially dazzled by this one, I think.

On the back of one hand, also doing a quick compare/contrast with Keiko Mecheri's Ume (MORE thanks to generous BNers!!!). This one was a big surprise for me, because I traditionally do NOT like fruity notes (other than citrus and sometimes plum or very light peach). In Ume, the peach leaves note really stands out on my skin, but the overall result is lush, very grown-up, and completely GORGEOUS. I expect I'm also reacting positively to the osmanthus, which is one of my very favorite notes. Ume is completely and utterly FB worthy for me (oh no! ) .

Mauboussin notes: Lemon, mandarin, benzoin and peach.

Ume notes: Persimmon, peach tree leaves, hints of bergamot and mandarin, Japanese wisteria, peonies and camellia sasanka, South Sea jasmine and Chinese osmanthus, Hinoki wood, Cambodian mahogany and Mousse Poivree.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Cold sunny Saturday, sipping coffee & wrapping presents with young daughter.

SMN Melograno is so perfect, a sweet powdery incense that soothes. I adore this.

Why don't I have more SMN scents? Hm. Off to BN Marketplace
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Blog Entries

Serge Lutens - Bois Oriental

Notes: cedar, Moroccan spices, storax and vanilla
    Last edited by kumquat; 19th December 2009 at 05:21 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Nukapai I'm glad that Simon and Mark liked your perfume, consider me interested in a sample, I'd love to try some of your work! Good luck with the move!

WordbirdSnozzling is a fantastic word and Im sure you will see lots more snozzle when you get back to the UK.

I'm wearing Beyond Paradise today, it certainly is a curious oddity to me.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Warming myself up with Galimar by Galimard from playing with the kids in the snow all day.

It has notes of nutmeg and cinnamon on top of a lovely vanilla, patchouli and musk base.

Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman.

Notes: jasmine, leather, iris, benzoin, balsams, resins, incense
    Last edited by plummyplummy; 19th December 2009 at 06:07 PM.

Staying inside today, except for a romp in the snow with my recovered pomeranian. Will probably spend the day reading, shoveling and resting up for a super busy week at the hospital.

Elizabeth Arden Pretty today, light floral and nice on a dark snowy day.

bleu autumn haze

I'm wearing Bond Success Is A Job In New York today!!! Christmas came early for me from my special Santa! :bounce:

happy weekend, everyone!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Institution

Zagorsk (Series 3: Incense) by Comme des Garcons

It's a beautifully clear, cool day in Miami. The grass is green, I am wearing a green shirt, the Christmas tree is sitting in the sun giving off it's wonderful scent and wearing Zagorsk seemed almost inevitable.

Today something light.....Hermes 24 Faubourg Eau Delicate It's like a fresh light salad after enjoying the sweet, heavy, spicy excesses of holiday feasting this past week.

Nukapai, best wishes for your move AND for your new fragrance creation!

ComDiva, your impressions of Mauboussin and Ume are interesting! Like you, I don't do fruit well, but these two sit very well on my skin. In both, the potential sweetness of the fruit seems to be mitigated by other things. I AM really surprised at your getting powder from Mauboussin. While I have a tolerance -- even liking -- for powder, I don't believe I get any in Mauboussin! To my nose it's smooth, glowing (to borrow Evangeline's term), and somewhat transparent. But NOT powdery.

For my SotD, I'm very tempted to choose Havana Vanille again. However, I'm going to continue my appreciation course in narcissus fragrances by comparing Chamade and Narcisse Noir, just for fun! BTW, I was surprised to see that Havana Vanille has narcissus as a listed note. It also has helichrysum (also known as immortelle or everlasting flower), which is another favorite note of mine! I think I will pretend that Bertrand made Havana Vanille just for me.

Wishing all a pleasure-filled weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Nukapai, best wishes for your move AND for your new fragrance creation!

ComDiva, your impressions of Mauboussin and Ume are interesting! Like you, I don't do fruit well, but these two sit very well on my skin. In both, the potential sweetness of the fruit seems to be mitigated by other things. I AM really surprised at your getting powder from Mauboussin. While I have a tolerance -- even liking -- for powder, I don't believe I get any in Mauboussin! To my nose it's smooth, glowing (to borrow Evangeline's term), and somewhat transparent. But NOT powdery.

For my SotD, I'm very tempted to choose Havana Vanille again. However, I'm going to continue my appreciation course in narcissus fragrances by comparing Chamade and Narcisse Noir, just for fun! BTW, I was surprised to see that Havana Vanille has narcissus as a listed note. It also has helichrysum (also known as immortelle or everlasting flower), which is another favorite note of mine! I think I will pretend that Bertrand made Havana Vanille just for me.

Wishing all a pleasure-filled weekend!
    Haunani, I am quite sure that Bertrand made Havana Vanille just for you. Thanks for letting me share your personal perfume - I love my bottle too

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    .....My grapefruit perfume went down very well. Both Mark and Simon actually liked it. Mark made some suggestions, which I'll be happy to tinker with in January. No idea what'll happen to it, but I will consider sending out some samples to people who are interested.....
    OH...pick me ...PICK ME!! I LUV grapefruit...PICK ME. (Will happily send clams and vials and do your windows...)

But for the nonce am swannning forth in a sample of (I think) Himalaya from a divine BNer who didn't mark the decants and whose pm identifying them I - um - deleted. Can't wait 'til I find out what this is.... Citrusy, peppery with an amber underglow....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Mauboussin is not powdery on me either, not a bit. Crystal clear all the time of its potent duration.
    Last edited by Twolf; 19th December 2009 at 10:22 PM.

Today is Lady Vengeance by Juliette Has a Gun. Loving it. Miss you guys. I have been so busy with the holidays but I plan to be back strong in the new year. Hugs and love!
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Haunani: gosh, I thought Havana Vanille was surely made just for me! I am wearing it again today!

Nuk: good luck with your move. I am so happy to hear about your continuing fragrance adventures. Hand up here for a sample.

Kewart, that vintage Mary Quant Havoc of your sounds just wonderful.

Nukapai, best wishes for an easy-breezy move.

I'm wearing Paloma Picasso for the second day in a row. Take good care, all!

Lady Stetson

I bought this last night, my curiosity on its resemblance to No. 22 finally getting the better of me. Well, I lovelovelove 22 edt, but that's not what LS is akin to-- it's the pure parfum. They share the same very powdery aldehyde opening, and also some of the same white flowers-- maybe gardenia? Different is the sweetness in Lady Stetson's opening, which reminds me a little of the peach in Petite Cherie. I prefer 22 edt to the parfum because of the superfluity of liturgical incense, making it easily the most beautiful thing I have yet sniffed. LS doesn't have any incense and therefore lacks the depth of either 22 formula, but it is still elegant and quite pretty.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 19th December 2009 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Mauboussin is not powdery on me either, not a bit. Crystal clear all the time of its potent duration.
    Same here Twolf, Mauboussin has never been close to powdery for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Well then, that's three of us. ComDiva, if you come back to this thread, what exactly do you mean by powdery? I'm wondering if this is a semantic issue. This is interesting!

Haunani, I am quite sure that Bertrand made Havana Vanille just for you. Thanks for letting me share your personal perfume - I love my bottle too
    Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    Haunani: gosh, I thought Havana Vanille was surely made just for me! I am wearing it again today!
    Bertrand did tell me that I could share it with a few special friends.

Rose Alexandrie
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

...me three!

Angel got a hold on me again today. The intensity of life sometimes calls for something of equal "in your face" intensity.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Ava Luxe's Johri for my Sotd

Will now dip into Montale's Chocolate Greedy after reading VM's blog.

Goodnight everyone!
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Back from drinks and dinner in Agatha Brown Imperial Jade Emperor

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

..oops
    Last edited by kbe; 20th December 2009 at 02:41 AM.

Polo Blue Pour Homme by RL
    Gary

Here's member no. 5 joining the "I don't find Mauboussin powdery at all" club.

Spritzed Angel after sauna last night and woke up with the most delicious scent imaginable. It was the morning after drydown that made me fall in love with it seven years ago and purchase a bottle and it still mesmerizes me after all these years.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."