Code of Conduct

Default Narcissus / Daffodil / Jonquil

I'm finding myself enchanted by fragrances that feature this note (Guerlain Chamade and Caron Narcisse Noir, to name two).

I do not have a sample of narcissus oil, but here is some info from a Wikipedia article:

Narcissus poeticus (Poet's Daffodil, Nargis, Pheasant's Eye, Findern Flower, and Pinkster Lily) was one of the first daffodils to be cultivated, and is frequently identified as the narcissus of ancient times often associated with the Greek legend of Narcissus. Extremely fragrant, with a ring of petals in pure white and a short corona of light yellow with a distinct reddish edge, Poet's Daffodil grows to 20-40 cm tall and is widely naturalized in North America and Europe.

Poet's Daffodil is cultivated in Holland and Southern France for its essential oil, narcissus oil, one of the most popular fragrances used in perfumes. Narcissus oil is used as a principal ingredient in 11% of modern quality perfumes—including 'Fatale' and 'Samsara'—as a floral concrete or absolute. The oil's fragrance resembles a combination of jasmine and hyacinth.
    Last edited by Haunani; 24th December 2009 at 04:02 AM.

Default Re: Narcissus / Daffodil

I have tried to find Narcissus absolute--it seems to be quite rare. I love it in PdN Le Temps d'une Fete and Guerlain Chamade. I have heard some compare the absolute to Jonquil, also, but I am not very knowledgeable about the similarities/differences.
    Last edited by Asha; 20th December 2009 at 02:10 AM.

Default Re: Narcissus / Daffodil / Jonquil

Edit: Here is some more information on these flowers, gleaned from various sources:

Daffodil, narcissus and jonquil all derive from the Narcissus family, and their blossoms are very similar. It is the length of the trumpet and the number of flowers per stem that distinguish one from the other. Daffodils have one blossom per stem while jonquils have clusters of blossoms.

The aroma of jonquils is difficult to describe. It is quite strong, but not usually overwhelming, and it makes it very easy to identify these flowers in the garden, even when a planting is relatively small. Some people also like to use jonquils as cut flowers in the home, while perfume manufacturers extract essential oils from them for the purpose of making rich floral scents. Many plants in the Narcissus genus possess this distinctive odor to some degree.

Narcissus was used in ancient Roman perfumes and in medieval perfumes of France; today, narcissus is used in expensive floral perfumes and used extensively in French perfume production. Narcissus is a narcotic and should be used with extreme care as misuse can result in death.
    Last edited by Haunani; 28th December 2009 at 01:51 PM.

If anyone has a source for narcissus essential oil, let me know. I would love to get some for us to sniff!

I have heard that Liberty Natural has either Jonquil or Narcissus from time to time, but I do not know of the quality. It is very expensive because it is rather rare, but you should be able to order a very small amount from Liberty. I read somethwere that one of the main components is eugenol, which gives a spicy clove-like quality, similar to carnation.

Vol de Nuit is an excellent example of narcissus in perfume, unless I'm confusing it with something else...

Cool Re: Narcissus / Daffodil / Jonquil

Hello fellow Basenoter's

Daffodil or Narcissus/Jonquil absolute has a honeyed Jasmine/Hyacinth green note, being one of the most expensive of all floral extracts it can therefore be difficult to source.
    Most high end essential oil dealers & niche perfumers should have this in stock.
    This essence keeps optimally in aluminum canisters, it will darken with prolonged exposure to light.
    If overused it can be cloying and headache inducing.
    Similar to Tuberose in olfactory intensity.
    'Classique' by JP Gaultier contains this absolute in the parfum version, considered to expensive for inclusion in lesser concentrations.
    Hope this helps to fill in some gaps.
    Happy hunting !

Best wishes.
    L'Homme Vert

Basenotes Institution

* bumpity bumping this thread*

I am also interested in Narcissus.
    Now I simply must try Chamade- I am quite ashamed that I have not already .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Vol de Nuit is an excellent example of narcissus in perfume, unless I'm confusing it with something else...
    No,you are not confused.VOL DE NUIT's an excellent scent of Narcissus!Narcisse Noir by Caron 's another one,too!A fine spiced one's Absynthe by C.Lacroix

Basenotes Institution

Well I may just have to get some more Vol de Nuit .

However, I would love the absolute of Narcissus Poeticus - I know it is exorbitantly expensive and quite difficult to get but nonetheless, I feel it has to be done .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

popped in to see where other diy'ers have gone with this, I just got a small sample of Jonquil from Liberty, and although I'm formulating my opinions on it undiluted I was looking for something of a note guide to so I would have a little bit of guidance and could better articulate my own conclusions. I guess this time around I'll be going in blind and reporting back with my own findings.
    Last edited by kantofox; 29th February 2012 at 03:59 PM.

So after my drop in I went off and did my own testing to see what I was getting into, first off I want to say that for my own personal preferences I won't be using this often for the sheer fact that it's to intense for me.

jonquil

0 min

dark spicy coupled with green herbaceous notes and crushed peach leaves. the nature is very strong aldehydic and raunchy. The floral note is very dark and overbearing and slightly animalic.

12 min

darker floral, almost eugenol note now more prominent. herbaceous crushed leaf note fading. animalic note becoming less intrusive

1hr

floral sustained now with powdery creamy note apparent, almost cloying, herbaceous crushed leaf notes almost undetectable. spicy eugenol note softer now.

2 hr

jonquil is now a velvety floral, with powdery nuances. the dark characteristics have diminished and have been replaced by lighter notes,a slightly feminine musk with powdery notes. creamy note still intact , spice note is non discernible and has become significantly more cloying to me, finish becoming clean.

3hr

The floral is now a bright powdery note the cloying nature is owed to what has become a honeyed nuance. The body still maintains that feminine musk that was identified earlier, the aldehydic nature is still there but so much lighter that it's more of an after thought. For lack of better words it's like a powdered doughnut covered in a sweet sticky syrup, they sound good in theory but you really don't want more than one or two bites

It may be much more pleasant if you dilute the Jonquil. The D-I-Y threads will have useful information, I'm sure.

I think I've read that undiluted Narcissus can cause weird hallucinatory effects so be careful!

Great job singling out notes.

Quote Originally Posted by kitsch View Post

I think I've read that undiluted Narcissus can cause weird hallucinatory effects so be careful!
    Wow, I shall go and get mine out now.....

Hounani and Mimi if you would like to try it, I bought mine as an abs from India so cannot vouch for it's purity or source but it is strong. I can dilute some to smelling strength and send some samples to pass around if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    I'm finding myself enchanted by fragrances that feature this note.
    My daughter's favorite note in fragrance.

for all of us in the US, I obtained my sample from liberty naturals, honestly this is the best option for me seeing as that they don't push a premium like a few other places, or better yet let me find my sample and i'd be happy to send it with an address, it's to powerful for me and I generally tend to gravitate to the woodsy / earthy groups .