Code of Conduct

Default Can't decide on an Orange Blossom scent: SL, Malone, L'Artisan?

I'm a newbie and posted a thread last month about looking for recommendations (I'm a 30 y/o woman). Since then, I've tested a lot of frags and discovered I have a thing for orange blossom. The only problem is, there are three scents based on this note that I love, and I can't decide which ones to get! Perfumistas will probably say "just buy them ALL!" but a few of these are rather pricey, and I don't think it's wise for someone just starting a collection to buy three slightly-redundant frags (although these are all different in their own ways.)

I'm debating between the Jo Malone Orange Blossom, Lutens Fleur d'Oranger, and the much praised L'Artisan Fleur d'Oranger (2007, because I doubt any bottles of the 2005 still exist).

The Jo Malone was one of my first finds, and it's a very wearable scent that I know would get a lot of use. I've already used up my tester that I got from the store, and I was on the verge of buying one of the large bottles last week. However...

Then I tried the SL. This was one that didn't make an impression on me a few weeks ago, but I decided to give it a second try. I spritzed some on my skin last weekend, and after an hour, I wanted to make love to my arm. I don't know what makes this one different, but it seems less "orangey" than the Jo Malone, and more complex.

The L'Artisan is one I haven't smelled, because I haven't been able to find a store that has it, but I'm on the verge of ordering a sample from Perfumed Court. Every review I've read says it's amazing. I'm pretty sure I would love it, but at $300, I don't want to buy it un-sniffed.

What do you think? Should I get the Jo Malone as an everyday, wearable scent, and get a second fragrance for special occasions? I'm afraid of buying more than one and having one languish in the bottle.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can't decide on an Orange Blossom scent: SL, Malone, L'Artisan?

I have several orange blossom scents but I find that I I prefer the L'Artisan and rarely wear the others. I don't like either the Malone (too indolic for me) or the Lutens (spicy isn't what I'm looking for in an orange blossom scent.) But if you love those two, then yes, I'd say wear one of them--they certainly cost less than the L'Artisan!

As far as samples of the L'ARtisan go, you can order samples directly from L'Artisan-- at least, in the USA you can. They charge $7 for 5 samples-- it's a good deal:
    http://www.artisanparfumeur.us/store/order_sample.php

Luckyscent also has samples of the 2007, for more money: $5 for .7 ml plus shipping:
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...7;Oranger.html

Should you decide that you can't live without the 2007 L'Artisan, you can still get it for less than the $295 list price. If you order it from Beautycafe.com and use the coupon code "Basenotes" you can get it for 10% off, and the shipping is free for orders over $50.

As far as the 2005 goes, a used bottle of that vintage sold on eBay last week for $300!

Basenotes Institution

Get the Serge Lutens: it is better than the Jo Malone (which is pretty good BTW) but not quite as fleeting as the L'Artisan.

Hope this comes across as well intentioned rather than cruel () but I'd also recommend you check out the following orange blossom heavy scents before buying any:

A Piece of Me (APOM) pour femme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    APOM pour homme also by MFK
    Fleur Du Male
    C&S Neroli

I know I recommended a few frags labeled masculine but I think these could easily work on a woman. If you don't mind some jasmine with your orange blossom, check out Reflection Man, too - an absolutely gorgeous blend of orange blossom, jasmine and iris.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more