Code of Conduct

Default "Are You Really Wearing That?"

The title represents what some female asked me. This was in a bar and I was near the jukebox picking some songs. She stood near me for a brief moment and I believe she asked me, "Are you really wearing that?" I was a bit surprised as a I turned my head so I hope I heard her right. The tone of her voice wasn't nasty and she had a smile on her face. It was that of curiosity and of slight disbelief. Even before her I think a couple of people smelled something and the female said something along the lines that it must be from a girl. She then turned her head and eyes to me and must have realized it was coming from me.

I was not offended by these two occasions. I was actually proud that my fragrance turned heads and caused some disbelief among people.

I even walked to the bar to order something and some guy turned around and started talking to me even when I quietly walked near the bar when his back was turned so he must have smelled me and liked it. The same guy would then sit by my friend and I soon afterward and started talking to us so perhaps I, or my fragrance, left an impression.

The fragrance I was wearing was 21 by Costume National. I should point out that the sillage must have been really strong since I wore the same jacket for three days straight as well as 21 by Costume National for each of those three days. I'm also not a light sprayer and sprayed on my jacket so it really stays on for a long time on fabric. Sure, the fragrance may seem a bit feminine according to many people, but the reaction is caused made me like the fragrance even more. The attention that came from it was not that it was too strong or that I sprayed too much, but it seemed to be that of disbelief since they thought that a man should not be wearing something like that. I'm sure there were also some silent observers of my fragrance.

My question is, has anyone ever approached you and made some sort of remark on your fragrance based on the uniqueness of the fragrance or simply wearing something that may be defined by society as being opposite of what is acceptable for your sex?
    Last edited by Ronin; 21st December 2009 at 05:33 AM.

Default Re: "Are You Really Wearing That?"

Yes, I've gotten similar responses a couple of times, and I tend to go easy applying perfume, so this sort of thing needn't be a response to sheer volume of fragrance. Once when I was wearing Dior Homme a young woman and an older man I was standing near caught wind at about the same time. The man began to tease me and the woman began to praise the perfume; I never had to say anything.
    I've also gotten comments when wearing patch-heavy frags like Mazzolari Patchouli and Laura Tonatto Re. Some people seem to be really sensitive to patchouli. And then there are a few perfumes that seem to be purely pleasant to almost everyone. L'Air du Desert Marocain is in this category; it might be a bit much for some people smelled right on the wrist but what it flings out into the room is quite wonderful.
    What you say about men and perfumes seems right to me. And I think one of the pleasures of wearing perfume is that it occasionally opens up these conversations that are, explicitly or implicitly, about masculinity and sensuous pleasure. I say let your freak flag fly, brother. We owe it to the rest of our cliche-bedeviled gender to openly take pleasure in this marvelous art form.

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    I say let your freak flag fly, brother. We owe it to the rest of our cliche-bedeviled gender to openly take pleasure in this marvelous art form.
    Great motto! It would make a nice signature, too.
    Too bad I didn't invent it. Anyway, I admire your attitude.
    Last edited by narcus; 20th December 2009 at 01:59 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I say let your freak flag fly, brother. We owe it to the rest of our cliche-bedeviled gender to openly take pleasure in this marvelous art form.
    Big 2nd. Wow. What a brilliant statement!
    ~~Huge fan of Hermes, Jean Claude Ellena and Patricia Nicolai!~~
    http://niche-perfume-reviews.blogspot.com/ - my perfume notes

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    I completely agree with narcus on this but would offer a slight modification just for grins :

' Let your freak FRAG fly '

Just don't trying saying it REALLY quickly. Good one ....lobster

I can't take credit. It's a Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young line (think Crosby wrote it) from "Almost Cut My Hair Today": "But I didn't and I wonder why/ I feel like letting my freak flag fly." Please send donations to the David Crosby Defense and Rehabilitation Fund.
    Nevertheless good advice, I think.

Blog Entries

I've had two cases - in both, people simply assumed that the fragrance could not possibly be coming from me.

Les Nuits d'Hadrien. I had a room full of people trying to figure out where the "perfume" was coming from, since I was the only person in the room. After I admitted it, we got into a fascinating discussion.

Sel de Vétiver. Each of the two women who got on the elevator assumed it was from the other. In the end, I think everybody assumed it was somebody who had already left - nobody appeared to suspect it was me.

Fall, mountains of Acqua di Gio, just don't fall on me
    Spray on, Mister MascuMan, you can't smell like me!

I was standing at the jukebox and I thought I hit M7, "Street Fighting Man", but I recoiled in horror when the speakers began to blast "If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain..."

(Sorry, that was a Chris Farley/Dirty Work reference that I could not resist) I've been a little random and crazy lately, but I guess this IS my post number 5150!
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 20th December 2009 at 04:57 PM.

Hehe. At first I thought she may have said, "Are you really going to pick that?" I soon realized that wasn't what she said as my mind was recovering from the confusion since I wasn't expecting her to talk to me. It caught me off guard. I just kind of saw her in the corner of my eye near me. At first I thought she was checking out what I was picking but she was nearby to smell me! You know she loved it!
    Last edited by Ronin; 20th December 2009 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I've had two cases - in both, people simply assumed that the fragrance could not possibly be coming from me.

Les Nuits d'Hadrien. I had a room full of people trying to figure out where the "perfume" was coming from, since I was the only person in the room. After I admitted it, we got into a fascinating discussion.

Sel de Vétiver. Each of the two women who got on the elevator assumed it was from the other. In the end, I think everybody assumed it was somebody who had already left - nobody appeared to suspect it was me.

Fall, mountains of Acqua di Gio, just don't fall on me
    Spray on, Mister MascuMan, you can't smell like me!
    Sel de Vetiver? Really? I can't imagine how it could come off feminine to anyone? Not like it's a uber-masculine frag, but IMO, there isn't a note in there that could possibly be perceived as feminine.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenotes Institution

I love it when an unexpected conversation with a complete stranger involves fragrance. It's in those moments, that I realize what a colognoissuer I am...I mean usually it only takes me a few minutes of talking to someone before they stare back at me, with a weird look on their face and say something like, 'You really know your stuff, don't you?'

I'm reminded of that time I wore Vettiveru by Comme des Garcons and a cashier at a local Mediterranean restaurant asked me if I was wearing Encre Noire - that I posted about here.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st December 2009 at 04:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Sel de Vetiver? Really? I can't imagine how it could come off feminine to anyone? Not like it's a uber-masculine frag, but IMO, there isn't a note in there that could possibly be perceived as feminine.
    Totally! I absolutely agree. Yeah, there's a bit of iris, but WTF, ya know? Dior Homme smells more "femme" than SdV, if I had to get all note-bigotty on the frag.

I think it just boils down to this. Nobody expects a Fuzzy Lumpkins geek in the back of the 'vator to smell as good as a hottie. And that's even when I'm wearin' the good threads.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I think it just boils down to this. Nobody expects a Fuzzy Lumpkins geek in the back of the 'vator to smell as good as a hottie.
    I had to google 'fuzzy lumpkins'. LOL. Learn something new every day.

I remember wearing White Patchouli by TF and someone remarked I smelled exotic - that was a good one
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab