Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default The Scent Detective - article in Elle magazine

...The teacher uncaps a small, mysterious glass vial marked No. 25, dunks four paper strips into it, and passes them around the room. My classmates grab the papers and press them to their noses, inhaling vigorously, eyes closed, before beginning to furiously scribble notes. One by one, they reel off their observations. “It’s pastel,” one offers. “Safe for babies?” says another. “Smells like skin!” interjects a third. The woman beside me leans in for another intense, scrutinizing whiff. Her brow knits. Her nostrils flutter. Her breaths come short and sharp (some kind of reverse supersmellers’ Lamaze?). She looks up, triumphant. “It’s smooth, like a Japanese stone,” she says. “Almond!”

The teacher smiles at me expectantly. “And you?”

Oh dear. In my notebook, I’ve written three small words: “I smell nothing.”...

You can read the full article here.

Thanks to Now Smell This for the link.

Default Re: The Scent Detective - article in Elle magazine

Thanks for sharing the link.

Thank you for the link, Mike.

Usu. women's magazines do not have this type of feature, only small blurbs "featuring" (advertising) the latest scent.
    Last edited by Primrose; 17th December 2009 at 04:31 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Here's the web site for Cinquième Sens. They offer a 3 hour course and a 2 day course. Contact them for prices. One part of the course, Le Labo’s The Olfactionary a “personal trainer for the nose.” retails for $520.

The two day course says you will "Acquire a precise vocabulary for describing scents." The article says
    Cinquième Sens, instead, teaches pupils to dissect scents using the vocab of our other senses: If a smell was a color, which would it be? What kind of shape would it have? What type of music would it sound like? Chances are, she maintains, one of these mental images will jog the memory of what you’re actually smelling.”

“Noses are like biceps,” Gottlieb declares. “The more you lift weights, the stronger you get. It’s the same thing with noseseven yours.” - Alarming prospects! Knowing what drinking can do to my nose I am now concerned about my sniffing habits. Another year of intensive sniffing at perfume counters and the nasal receptors will inflate my nose and long hairs will start growing out of it ???.

"... Luca Turin, coauthor of several books on scent, including last year’s exhaustive Perfumes: The Guide... " - - and the others are
    Last edited by narcus; 18th December 2009 at 03:50 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    “Noses are like biceps,” Gottlieb declares. “The more you lift weights, the stronger you get. It’s the same thing with noseseven yours.” - Alarming prospects! Knowing what drinking can do to my nose I am now concerned about my sniffing habits. Another year of intensive sniffing at perfume counters and the nasal receptors will inflate my nose and long hairs will start growing out of it ???.
    When I was in high school I got teased for having a large nose. In college I solved the problem by growing a beard. I guess I can always grow it bigger

"... Luca Turin, coauthor of several books on scent, including last year’s exhaustive Perfumes: The Guide... " - - and the others are
    Well, one other, The Secret of Scent. And there was the original French version of The Guide. And the revised Complete Guide.

Basenotes Institution

Alarming imagery !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post
    Well, one other, The Secret of Scent. And there was the original French version of The Guide. And the revised Complete Guide.
    To this day there has been no French version of The Guide.
    Turin wrote Parfums: Le Guide in French, the language of perfume, and the language of his schools and the Sorbonne. There were two editions: 1992 & 1994. The book comprises a few hundred perfumes and became rather famous beyond France as the first critical perfume guide ever written. Another novelty in this book are numerous recommendations of masculine colognes for women, and vice versa. There never was an English version of the French original, and so far no other person has ever claimed co-authorship (at least not publicly, to the best of my knowledge ! )

By the way, a few years ago he has made the text of this book available to everybody. This will link you to it: [PDF] Parfums: le Guide Edition 1994 .

In 2006 another book was released: The Secret Of Scent. But again: Turin is the author, not a co-author.

For more publications: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luca_Turin
    Last edited by narcus; 20th December 2009 at 02:38 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.