Code of Conduct

Default Leather room/car scent

I am looking for leather scents to add to my scent wardrobe, so imagine my surprise/delight when I found a car scent in leather!

Sadly, this does not come in a candle or reed diffuser.

Nice scent in the car. Fine perfume it is not, but it's nice.

http://www.yankeecandle.com/cgi-bin/...sp?oid=4889141
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Leather room/car scent

Primrose,

You might like Truefitt & Hill's Spanish Leather. I imagine that it's been reformulated at least once, but still, an 1830 launch date. And I smelled it at a dandyish men's store.

I wonder what determines which scents can go in candles and which in a jar?

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post
    Primrose,

You might like Truefitt & Hill's Spanish Leather. I imagine that it's been reformulated at least once, but still, an 1830 launch date. And I smelled it at a dandyish men's store.

I wonder what determines which scents can go in candles and which in a jar?
    Thank you, ECaruthers, for the fragrance recommendation. I will have to sample this at some point. At which store did you find this? I know On The Fly in San Francisco would sure carry this. (I also think they have a Honolulu store.)

I think that leather is not a really popular note, even in mainstrem perfumery. I would think that this is even less so in the candle market, where almost all--if not all--of the scents are floral or foody. Even the "clean linen" scents are slighly floral and based on laundry detergent. (Who wants to smell detergent?)

As it is near Christmas, all one sees pushed are foody scents: pumpkin and spice, a variety of berries of this and that, pomegranate, mulled apple cider, vanilla this and that...

I do like the pine notes in some candles.

I would imagine that a leather candle or diffiser would not be a big seller, so they only put it in a car fragrance...
    Last edited by Primrose; 21st December 2009 at 06:00 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I have these, and they are great! (and I'm not just saying that because they're made in the town I grew up in). I was surprised when I saw a leather version in Target recently and had to pick up a pack. I wish there was a fragrance that smelled like this - Cuiron sort of comes close, but this has a creamy, almost velvet-like warmth to it. Every time I get into my car, I take a deep breath.

http://www.little-trees.com/us/produ...&id=9&prod=386
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

PAtricia de Nicolai's Vetiver Java is stunning. It comes in lamp oil, candle and room spray. Luca Turin says the smell is good enogh to start a small religion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Thank you, ECaruthers, for the fragrance recommendation. I will have to sample this at some point. At which store did you find this? I know On The Fly in San Francisco would sure carry this. (I also think they have a Honolulu store.)
    Primrose,
    The T&H store locator is kind of hidden on their site, under Customer Service I think. They list another company in San Francisco for which I could not find a web site. On the Fly only lists T&H Cologne, not Spanish Leather. I'm a little surprised, since a fairly small store in Rochester, NY, carries their full line. Maybe email the question to T&H. To me it seemed classic & 'gentelmanly' but I'd never try to guess if it was worth a blind buy.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post
    Primrose,
    The T&H store locator is kind of hidden on their site, under Customer Service I think. They list another company in San Francisco for which I could not find a web site. On the Fly only lists T&H Cologne, not Spanish Leather. I'm a little surprised, since a fairly small store in Rochester, NY, carries their full line. Maybe email the question to T&H. To me it seemed classic & 'gentelmanly' but I'd never try to guess if it was worth a blind buy.
    Good luck.
    Thank you again, ECaruthers. I have not tuppence in my pockets after the holidays, but I will have to keep this on my "must-try" list.

On leather:

XerJoff Homme is my fave and recommended leather.

On car scents:

Maitre Parfumeur & Gantier have a line of 3 car scents here.
    Unfortunately no leather to speak of, but they might be of some interest anyway.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 30th December 2009 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    On leather:

XerJoff Homme is my fave and recommended leather.

On car scents:

Maitre Parfumeur & Gantier have a line of 3 car scents here.
    Unfortunately no leather to speak of, but they might be of some interest anyway.
    Dimitri, thank you for the links. They must ve very luxe from MPG.

BTW, for the Yankee Candle car scents, the car gel is different from the scented hanging card. Two totally different scents! The car gel scent is an odd, generic sort-of floral scent that reminded me of laundry detergent or cheap room freshener. Horrid!

The car "jar" tag tag, however, is very pleasant. I'd like a leather-scented candle in this scent.