Code of Conduct

Default "smells like a man should"... Old Spice

I had an interesting conversation with a co-worker today... he was telling me all of his philosophies on colognes and how he is convinced that he gets the most female attention wearing Old Spice... insisting that he regularly gets women going way out of their way to ask what he's wearing. The discussion started because he was bragging how a woman stopped him at Starbucks yesterday and said he "smells like a man should".... Really?? Old Spice???

I recently read a post on here with that same quote but regarding Rive Gauche.... what other scents smell "like a man should"? I personally feel that way when I wear Bay Rum or Potpourri from Santa Maria Novella....
    Last edited by Popgeer; 23rd December 2009 at 03:07 AM.

Default Re: "smells like a man should"... Old Spice

I'll be interested in seeing the replies here...

I just picked up some Rive Gauche which certainly seems in that vein.

Pinaud Clubman could be there too.

I think that Old Spice vibe can work for or against you...it can be:

"Oooooooooo, you smell like my dad/uncle/grandfather."

or just as easily

"Ewwwwwww....like you smell like my dad/uncle/grandfather."

I agree--Old Spice, at this point in time, reminds many women of fathers or grandfathers.

Is is true that Old Spice was origianlly launched as a women's scent?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I really like the OLD Old Spice, and I don't know if it was intended for a woman, but I do have a question of my own...

Has Old Spice been RE-reformulated? The reason I ask is that when P&G reformulated it a few years back, it smelled way too powdery--nothing like the spicy scent my dad used to wear and more like a "whiff of Pampers," as another BN member noted. Last week, however, I saw a bottle (with the new, neo-vintage design) at the drug store and applied some to my wrist and, to my surprise, the spice was back! It was not at all like the baby powder blend of recent years, but very much like I remember as a child.

Has anyone else noticed this?

No, it does not smell what a man should smell of, not after they stripped it down to even cheaper ingredients ! But then - men have been reformulated, too .
    Last edited by narcus; 23rd December 2009 at 04:35 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Re: "new" new old-spice... I'm pretty young so I didn't grow up with the stuff but just smelled it for the first time today and actually what struck me was how spicy it was. I'm pretty sure there was a big waft of clove or something in there, I was expecting something a little more powdery/floral? like Tabac...

Recomendations? (not to hijack) - between
    A) Old formulation (Shulton),
    B) new formulation (P&G) or
    C) the more recent formulation

Might also put Paco Rabanne Pour Homme in this mix, sort of spicy/soapy
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Old Spice fan here! All my dad ever used and my first experience with male fragrances, and i am talking about 15 years growing up with it every morning.

The current, obviously reformulated P&G OS is really not as bad as made out to be here. its reformulation is not more radical than those of the other high-pedestal niche and designer frags out there.

I have the current P&G OS (made in India) which i bought for the equivalent of $3.33 and enjoy it tremendously. And yes, women like it a lot.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Regardless of female reactions to it and regardless of how "old-fashioned" it smells, Old Spice has enough qualities to remain a major component of my frag wardrobe, a classic which I will continue to wear regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    I really like the OLD Old Spice, and I don't know if it was intended for a woman, but I do have a question of my own...

Has Old Spice been RE-reformulated? The reason I ask is that when P&G reformulated it a few years back, it smelled way too powdery--nothing like the spicy scent my dad used to wear and more like a "whiff of Pampers," as another BN member noted. Last week, however, I saw a bottle (with the new, neo-vintage design) at the drug store and applied some to my wrist and, to my surprise, the spice was back! It was not at all like the baby powder blend of recent years, but very much like I remember as a child.

Has anyone else noticed this?
    Yes, I notice this and I celebrated it...

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I think that Old Spice vibe can work for or against you...it can be:

"Oooooooooo, you smell like my dad/uncle/grandfather."

or just as easily

"Ewwwwwww....like you smell like my dad/uncle/grandfather."
    For some reason, this reminded me of an episode of Real Time with Bill Maher I saw a while back, during the "New Rules" segment of his show he said:

"New Rule: Old Spice will never be hip. Old Spice has introduced "O.S." fragrance for men. Yes, that same great scent from 1938--now in a spray bottle. Yeah, because that's what chicks dig: guys who smell like the uncle who molested them. "O.S. Like the men who wear it...a little too familiar." - Bill Maher

In poor taste, but I remember laughing for like 5 minutes at that joke

Cool Re: "smells like a man should"... Old Spice

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

Recomendations? (not to hijack) - between
    A) Old formulation (Shulton),
    B) new formulation
    C) the more recent formulation
    The answer is A
    Not that I've ever smelled it,
    If not then it must be C
    Not that I've smelled it either.
    But having smelled B I'd hate to think that what a man should smell like is gross and powdery.

Looking for the virile good old days?
    Bay Rum

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Brut definitely gets me compliments and my missus regards the smell as the smell of a real man. Of course she never used to think that when she first found out what it was I was wearing, but the stigma attacted to it is something I drummed out of her (she is 7 years younger than me at only 23)
    My Current 5 stars..... Brut, Lynx Java, Lynx Oriental, Lynx Musk, Lynx Inca, Lynx Fever, Addiction Spice Fire, Hugo Energise, Sean Jean Unforgivable, Burberry Touch, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle, cKBe & cK1

I like what I like, so sue me!

Blog Entries

This is a surprisingly good frag which is quite good on women as well. It is a lavender that doesn't go soapy as do most. I happened to get a vintage bottle of this recently that is chalk full of oak-moss. Just amazing!

Yeah, kumquat, I remember the old stuff from my puppyhood and it was, or seemed to me, deep magical stuff.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: "smells like a man should"... Old Spice

Just for fun, here it is. In spite of the sediment, it smells great although it isn't easy to retrieve through the metal top which is a screw-top shaker-type.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

Just for fun, here it is. In spite of the sediment, it smells great although it isn't easy to retrieve through the metal top which is a screw-top shaker-type.
    Sheer curiosity, do you have any idea as to the year it was manufactured?

Blog Entries

I haven't a clue but it looks really old, doesn't it? Maybe the 10's-20's? It's probably been in some medicine cabinet all this time.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Kumquat what a great bottle!

According to the BN Directory it was introduced in 1937
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

"smells like a man should"
    Ha is anyone else bothered by this quote other then me???

"smells like a man should"...
    Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    Ha is anyone else bothered by this quote other then me???
    Not me.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Thanks Kumquat!

Blog Entries

Thanks KBE- I should have thought to look it up.
    Here's some info from Perfume Intelligence:
    Sub-titled 'The Roses and Spice Perfume'
    Old Spice Shulton (Schultz) 1936
    Created by William Lightfoot Schultz, a classical soft oriental edt with
    top notes of orange, lemon, lavender, basil and pettitgrain,
    heart notes of carnation, geranium, lily of the valley and orris on
    base notes of sandalwood and cedar.
    Last edited by kumquat; 25th December 2009 at 02:56 PM.

Man, I love that old bottle! It looks like it was sitting on the shelf of some barbershop in the Old West. Very cool.

I always keep at least a bottle of Old Spice in my frag wardrobe, neither out neo-conservative snobbery not because of the fact that it is extremely affordable, but because, even after a long series of reformulations, it still has not lost a certain very simple, but expressive take on timeless elegance. I don't know what exactly in Old Spice smells timelessly elegant whenever I wear it or if it's just the case of "lucky skin chemistry", but I will probably keep Old Spice in my wardrobe a long time ahead from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Popgeer View Post
    I had an interesting conversation with a co-worker today... he was telling me all of his philosophies on colognes and how he is convinced that he gets the most female attention wearing Old Spice... insisting that he regularly gets women going way out of their way to ask what he's wearing. The discussion started because he was bragging how a woman stopped him at Starbucks yesterday and said he "smells like a man should".... Really?? Old Spice???

I recently read a post on here with that same quote but regarding Rive Gauche.... what other scents smell "like a man should"? I personally feel that way when I wear Bay Rum or Potpourri from Santa Maria Novella....
    Whats interesting is that my dad always says that old spice and bay rum are what women want a man to smell like...old school!! I really like old spice, any bay rum and potpourri by smn, which in my opinion reminds me a bit of old spice, but much better
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

"Smells like a man should"

I have noticed an attraction to some of the older scents that were very common in years past and remind people of grandfather or Dad. I like the new formulation of Old Spice just fine. In fact I think I like the new one better - the spice is not as dominant and it seems more balanced to me. Also really good is Caron pour un Homme - smells just like a well put together old gentleman. Caron PH is the more lavender version of "smells like a man should" old fashioned fragrance. I still enjoy Brut quite a bit as welll as my fathers favorite scent from 50 years ago - Mennen Skin Bracer.

Great photo of the original Classic Old Spice. I love this one and still wear it, and get compliments from time to time. From Men and Women, Young and old (I'm a huge Barbershop frag fan) the new formulation smells close to the original

LOL narcus, Men have been reformulated too. That's very very funny