Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What's the fragrance of the decade?

Has to be made sometime withing the last 9 years (one year to turn the page on the decade, I know).
    I'm looking for replies from those who've been into perfume for many years in particular, and not the newbie zealots with thousands of two-line replies on each and every topic.
    Niche or mainstream, no barriers. If you could describe it with a few words and mention why you chose it, that would be great.
    This is for a research purpose and I thank you in advance.
    Don't let the recent loves affect your memory. It's a decade of decadence

Merry Christmas

Default Re: What's the fragrance of the decade?

In my opinion, the last decade has stood out, especially, but not exclusively, thanks to these particular frags, namely:

Mugler Cologne (2001)- almost a niche-like Eau de Cologne quality and distinction, at designer prices. I've always searched for an Eau de Cologne-style frag comparable to the famous fresh, citrus-herbal smelling colognes from century-old fragrance houses, yet at the same time youthful enough to be suitable not just for casual wear, but also for a more contemporary environment and finally found this-: it is so cutting-edge, yet so distinguished at the same time , without even giving the feeling of unifying two extremes (the old-world and Old School luxury on one hand, a tasteful interpretation of postmodernity on the other).

Rive Gauche PH by YSL (2003)- another one of my faves from this particular decade and far more than a barbershop-smelling frag. No, it's actually the frag the niche firms would only dream of making, since, although first released in 2003, it has a certain classic, yet not obsolete, vibe to it. Understated elegance, almost universal wearability and very mature, yet also suitable for the younger crowd, who want to be more than just the "young generation" and who what to buy a piece of sophisticated, yet versatile chic without neither being too formal, nor emptying their accounts too much (because, if cash was the issue, Rive Gauche has a further advantage, it is available for almost minimal prices)

YSL M7 (2002)- Can an Oriental be manly and powerful, without smelling intoxicating or overpowering? Well, this one can

YSL Opium Eau d'Orient (2006)- a limited edition flanker which is actually worth getting. It smells more subtle, creamier and more solar, than the original Opium, more floral and sometimes even more peppery (but all in very pleasant way) to my nose
    Burberry London for Men (2006)- sweet, but not unappealing, gourmand without being effeminate, I never knew that a vanillic-spicy frag can be so sophisticated, so dignified and so suitable for evening wear

Cerutti 1881 Amber (2002)- if you're into ambery and slightly "animalic" notes, this one may be for you, since, apart from its name, it offers much more than amber, combining this ingredient with floral, aromatic and even slightly leathery notes (especially during the drydown), plus the advantage of lasting quite long

Baldessarini Ambre (2007)- another treat for Amber fans, combining something of the almost Baroque splendor of the original Baldessarini with the ruggedly handsome ambery notes, all in a perfect harmony

Vetiver Lanvin (the 2003 new release)- an interesting, somewhat "greener" smelling, but also smoother alternative to most niche and designer vetiver frags, very close to the skin though, but in an unobtrusive, discreet, always enjoyable way

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein (2005)- I'm usually not into sweet frags, but this one is the exception, which confirms the rule- one of the few "dark aquatics" (yes it might not be the appropriate term, but this is the way I perceive this one) without any annoying watery-ozonic touches, actually a very edgy frag, just carefully draped in some very soft suede notes, and no, by suede I'm not influenced in any way by the notes of this frag listed on it's main page, hell, I detected suede-smelling notes in it from the first whiff, long before I came across its Basenotes page

Solo Loewe (2004)- very complex, sensual and warm Mediterranean frag, the woody-spicy drydown being just the right one after its initial citrus-fruity opening

Jil Sander Man (2007)- the essence of cool and of clean-cut, no-nonsense classiness, a bit linear at first, but the uncommon, smoky-dry finish surely make up for the initial olfactory sensations

Roadster by Cartier (2008)- a mint-smelling frag that can be deep and elegant. Slightly "antiquated", "modern classic" (again, NOT in a dated way) about this one, even reminding me of the expensive leather in some well-preserved and very exclusive oldtimer car, there is something about this one which always stands out, yet without being pushy or ever renouncing its almost proverbial distinction

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior (2007)- perceived by some as a mere "poorer relation" of the original Fahrenheit, this one actually smells amazing to me, bright, uncomplicated yet subtle, possibly due to the smoothness of vanilla and floral notes. Extremely suitable to be worn in late spring or in summer (yet anything but a generic "summery" frag, although light enough to be worn during the warmer seasons)

This list is far from complete and only includes frags, which came to my mind right now, therefore, it is neither alphabetical or chronological, it just follows the random order of some personal impressions. I have also chosen to name more than one frag and refrain from any ranking between the aforementioned ones, hoping that I could provide a broader range available for the next extensive fragrance search/testing/sampling, with more than one candidate for the title of the best frag (ore one of the best frags) of this decade. Nevertheless, enjoy, hoping hat it could be of some help and it could provide some useful info.

Happy holidays and wonderful Christmas!
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 25th December 2009 at 02:53 PM.

I'd have to say M7, because I think it was very different from everything else when it was released, and now that we're seven years later, you can see the obvious impact it had with regards to agarwood/oud. That being said, I hated this fragrance when it first came out - its opening was bizarre, it smelled a little feminine, and I much preferred Helmut Lang's Cuiron which was released about the same time. Though I'm still a big Cuiron fan, I've done a 180 in the last few years on M7, and now find it to be one fragrance I wouldn't want to be without.
    The Bark Bites Back.

In my opinion Dior Homme epitomizes the masculine trends of 00-10

I'd have to go with Rive Gauche Pour Homme. I remember the anticipation when it was first released--and on these forums, almost NOBODY gave it good marks initially. It was heavily dumped on for some reason. I bought it anyway and found that when I wore it, good things happened. Eventually, people began to get their heads around the brilliance of RGPH and it came to be regarded highly. M7 was groundbreaking indeed, and I think it's a candidate for fragrance of the decade, but I have to give my highest praise to Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

I don't particularly care for it but that honor probably should go to Terre d'Hermes.

For me, I vote for Domenico Caraceni Pour Homme (aka 1913), L'Air du Desert Marocain, Caravelle Epicee, L'Air de Rien and Black Aoud.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Terre d'Hermes

Terre d'Hermes and L'air by Tauer.

The Rose oudhs by Montale !

I counted six, and three of them are perfect for men including Black Aoudh which I have found most outstanding from the first moment. I know, however that men also like to wear Damaskus or the exuberant Queen Roses.

Amazing How Montale started with thirty fragrances in 2003, and added another thirty-plus during the past six years, all of them rather unique and of exceptional quality compared to other (western) brands. One of the few anchor spots which have so far been outside the territorial waters of IFRA and EU.

Last edited by narcus; 24th December 2009 at 03:52 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

It will take another decade before I can form an opinion on this. Let's see which among these 'greats' will be left standing in 2019, still basking in the adulation and ringing the cash registers...

But if I have to hazard a guess, it'd be Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel (2001).

Blog Entries

For me, it is Domenico Caraceni Pour Homme. If you want to go strictly by the numbers, then Terre d'Hermes might be the Acqua Di Gio of this decade.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    For me, it is Domenico Caraceni Pour Homme. If you want to go strictly by the numbers, then Terre d'Hermes might be the Acqua Di Gio of this decade.
    I haven't sampled a wide enough variety to render such a lofty pronouncement, but glad to see DC 1913 getting some high praise. (It's on "back order" now at Lucky Scent!).

I agree Terre d'Hermes has certainly got the same kind of popularity vibe that Acqua Di Gio had.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 24th December 2009 at 08:16 PM.

Montale Black & White Aoud for me is pretty much all you need, maybe throw in an exceptional aquatic/citrus frag like Bvlgari Aqua, and your set.
    some really nice offerings in the last 9 years !
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

My votes would go to M7, Dior Homme and Sycomore.

Someone should set up an informal poll.
    Last edited by dareka; 24th December 2009 at 08:22 PM.
    ---
    Please visit www.dariushalavi.com.
    Many thanks.

I'd go with M7 and TdH off the top of my head. M7 because it certainly brings in the use of oudh into western perfumery, and TdH because of the AdG-like popularity it has gained in this decade as someone previously mentioned.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

There has not been a fragrance of this decade - too many to select from. There have been lots of fragrances of the month or of the season. Its sort of like Warhol said that in the future everyone will be famous for 15 minutes. This is happening with fragrances. There are too many good ones that come and go, for any single fragrance to dominate this decade.

I'd agree with Dior Homme, but I think Dior Homme Cologne is lightyears beyond Dior Homme in every way, so even though it's far less known I'd put that ahead of DH. Also agree with Mugler Cologne and can't forget about Encre Noir.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Black Aoud --because its depth, quality, mystery, and substance make it one of the few fragrances that even comes close to feeling as though it could run through my veins giving warmth, vitality, nourishment, and some consistent degree of insight.

And it does it all as smooth as silk with no amber, vanilla, high degree of common synthetics, or typical portly type leather.

Among other variables, it just smells great, is intensely wearable, and three years after owning it I like it better than ever; so much so that it's one of the only fragrances I wear with any consistency, and it's the one I'd grab without hesitation if I had to choose one in under ten seconds.
    Last edited by pluran; 25th December 2009 at 05:57 AM.

I think Guerlain Vetiver is still the "defined" fragrance, even though it comes from decades before. In fact, it withstands decades better than most of us! I would also agree that Dior Homme is definitive too. In terms of mass appeal, Aqua di Gio still ruled the early/mid years.

For me, the fragrance that focused my attention has been either Lutens Ambre Sultan or Chergui.
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

In sales it's probably Le Male

In spirit it's FIERCE by Abercrombie

It would be a toss up between these three fragrances:

M7 (2002) - Who would have known it would later launch a niche company primarily dedicated to Aoud and would also influence countless of niche fragrances?

Dior Homme (2005) - Inspired many fragrances, especially designer ones such as Prada Infusion d'Homme, to showcase iris as a dominated note.

Terre d'Hermes (2006) - Brought the whole minimalist concept to the forefront with a healthy dose of Iso E Super. Sure there was Ellena's Declaration from the late 90s, but Terre d'Hermes made the minimalist concept become more acceptable to the masses (more mainstream).

M7: for being instrumental in starting the oud craze.

Rive Gauche pour homme: for, in an age of aquatics, being instrumental in making the fougère popular once again.

Halston Man: I admire the way Carlos Benaim took the Z-14 fragrance and made it something a little more updated, a little less sporty and a little more elegant.

Designer: Narciso Rodriguez For Men
    Niche: Serge Lutens Chergui

Rive Gauche is too much like a watered down 80's scent to win the fragrance of the decade and M7 is like linear burnt wood.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 25th December 2009 at 06:36 AM.

Big thank you to all Fabulous thoughts.

I'm noticing a trend towards designer offerings, which is completely fine IMO. But I just have to ask a quick question. When we are considering fragrance of the decade, what is the criteria? Is it simply the "best" fragrance of the decade, or is it most influential, biggest seller, most unique, etc? Because if it's any of the extra criteria, such as sales or influence it's most likely going to be a designer fragrance, and I think that's what most of us thought when presented the question. If all of that is thrown out the window, and I'm simply going by best fragrance I'd chose SL Chergui.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

to me its probably Terre d'Hermes

Dior Homme : A great fragance floral and powdery, is very elegant y simply brilliant.
    Burberry London: Another fragance very elegant, soft, warm and fantastic.
    Fleur du Male: A revolutionary fragrance, powerful and soft and very feminine, but really grand.
    Arpege Pour Homme: Elegant and subtle.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Designer: Narciso Rodriguez For Men
    Niche: Serge Lutens Chergui
    The first niche scent that came to mind was definitely Chergui. I think Chergui represents the "oriental" category extremely well, and almost perfectly. NR was also one that I considered(along with M7) as designer scent of the decade, as I do feel that it represents the modern-day "fougere" category with excellence, while many others just seem like semi-fougeres. - Only in my opinion of course!

Black Aoud. Period.

1740 Marquis de Sade
    (2008)
    Histoire de Parfums
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 26th December 2009 at 12:34 AM.

TdH I think is the fragrance. It's a fragrance that will have a lasting impact. It just went somewhere that no other fragrance was going - and I think in years to come it will be much more appreciated, and, for what these things are worth, straight into the hall of fame as soon as 15 years are up.

Ken Russell gave a well-considered list.

If we're talking overall as in perfume enthusiasts & non-enthusiasts alike, then:

Dior Homme
    Terre d'Hermes

If we're talking just enthusiasts (Basenotes), then add:

M7
    Rive Gauche PH
    L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Black Aoud

I'm on the fence about:

Domenico Caraceni PH
    Encre Noire

I have a feeling I'll be revising this list several times...
    Last edited by KMF; 26th December 2009 at 02:30 AM.

Blog Entries

I'd say KMF has it pegged right. I'll save the bytes of even quoting it.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    1740 Marquis de Sade
    (2008)
    Histoire de Parfums
    +1 Definitely a contender for 'niche'.

Chanel Allure Homme Sport

He said one guys, one. Not 15 you think are great this month ;-)

M7 for all the reasons said above (plus it's hub's signature).
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

To me, this isn't a popularity contest, so my vote goes to Tom Ford Black Orchid.
    Tom seems to be right en point when it comes to forseeing trends and arguably happens to the the last decade's sultan of style. Black Orchid epitomises the return to glamour and excess that was lacking in the 90's, and flourished again in the 00's.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    To me, this isn't a popularity contest, so my vote goes to Tom Ford Black Orchid.
    Totally forgot about this one. It's high up there for sure as one of the best this decade. It's finer than some of this Private Blend stuff, Rive Gauche & M7.

For me the biggest and best influence of the past decade has been the growth of the small artisanal perfumers.
    Incredibly gifted noses like Andy Tauer, Liz Zorn, Dawn Spencer Hurwitz, Laurie Erickson, Ayala Moriel, Neil Morris, Michael Storer.
    We've seen the bigger names like Buxton and Kurkdjian try and follow this model, particualrly in the past year.
    So while it isn't my favorite of the past decade or even my favorite by him my vote goes to
    L'Air du Desert Marocain by Andy Tauer
    This will be the benchmark beginning to where I think fragrance goes in the next ten years.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Because of its overall dominance.... Terre d'Hermes. I'm not nuts about it on me, though.

Otherwise, Black Aoud. I'll remember smelling this in 50 years.

Other than on BN is Terre d'Hermes even that popular? I've never smelled it on anyone, nor does anyone I know even know about it. If we're going by sales as a factor, I'd think it would be doing poorly considering it's priced slightly higher than your average designer scent. Heck, I've smelt Dior Homme on a number of people.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 26th December 2009 at 10:55 PM.

Terre d'Hermès is selling very well, at least in Europe...

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Terre d'Hermès is selling very well, at least in Europe...
    I find that interesting, at least in the US, for example in a place like Sephora, you have TdH priced in the 70-100 range with everything else in the 40-80 range, I just figured it wouldn't sell based on price alone.

Top 10 in no particular order

Montale : Black Aoud
    Yves Saint Laurent : M7
    Gai Mattiolo : Man´s
    Parfum d´Empire : Ambre Russe
    Parfum d´Empire : Fougere Bengale
    Serge Lutens : Chypre Rouge
    Serge Lutens : Miel de Bois
    Cartier : L'Essence de Déclaration
    Dior : Eau Noire
    Comme des Garcons : Skai

bubblin´under...

Diptyque : Oyedo*
    Montale : Aoud Lime
    S-perfume : S-ex
    Serge Lutens : Gris Clair
    Yves Saint Laurent : Body Kouros*
    Serge Lutens : Arabie*
    Comme des Garcons : Soda
    Histoire des Parfums : 1740 Marquis de Sade
    Arabian Oud : Woody
    Eau d Italie : Paestum Rose

and....

Serge Lutens : Chene
    The Different Company : Rose Poivree
    Serge Lutens : Daim Blond
    Gucci Pour Homme (2003)
    Montake : Oud Cuir d´Arabie
    Montale : Royal Aoud
    Montale : Steam Aoud
    Agent Provocateur EdP*
    Yves Rocher : Nature Millénaire pour Homme*
    Yves Saint Laurent : Rive Gauche Pour Homme

*= released in 2000
    .................................................. .................

and so on...
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 27th December 2009 at 07:21 AM.

Rive Gauche. It did for this decade what Azzaro Pour Homme did for the 70's (meaning it was inovative for it's time)

A short update for my previous post.

Top 10 in no particular order:

Montale Black Aoud
    - A cult niche classic with a fine reason. It just smells so unbelievably good and compelling. Equally tasty on both sexes. Salty, waxy, rubber/leathery rosy blend that is a complete bullseye.

YSL M7
    - Groundbraker and it has stayed suprisingly unique ever since it was released. Thinking about the last decade, this one is a real rarity : Designer masterpice.

Gai Mattiolo Man´s
    - A personal favourite above anything else, but I still do think everyone should try this in sometime. A unique citrus-floral-herbaceus-gourmand-whatever blend with traces of smoke and soap. I could probably introduce this as an intense four play of vintage Fahrenheit, Mugler´s B*Men, Moschino Uomo and Rochas Man. I love it and it lasts about 50 hours on me.

Parfum d´Empire : Ambre Russe
    - Marc Antoine Corticchiato is a kindred spirit of Chris Sheldrake and equally talented, if you ask me. Ambre Russe is unbelievable scent. Egoiste meets Ambre Sultan in this amazingly rich and nuanced amber perfume.

Parfum d´Empire : Fougere Bengale
    - Civet and immortelle mixed with traditional lavender accord. It is just as unique as it sounds. The best use of civet in a long long time. Masculine and very natural. Someone said it smells like a wet straw during the drydown, and he was right.

Serge Lutens : Chypre Rouge
    - My biggest Lutens favourite along with MKK. I guess immortelle has become my favourite ingridient. This is the most haunting, most mesmerizing scent I have ever smelled. I still relate this to fine things such as Twin Peaks and Brian Eno´s music.

Serge Lutens : Miel de Bois
    - Ebony, oak, gaiac, aquilaria agallocha and animalic honey notes. Mouth-wateringly delicous and it repels people away from me. It´s good.

Cartier : L'Essence de Déclaration
    - The perfect balance between comfort and animate notes. One scent I could see myself wearing everyday for the rest of my life. Match made in heaven with my own personality and it feels as it was custom-built for me.

Dior : Eau Noire
    - Another piece of perfection, I just couldn´t ask for more. I wear this regularly few times a week; particularly it is my speacial treat after relaxing sauna.

Comme des Garcons : Skai
    - Odd but very wearable. It smells like a space age version of Annick Goutal´s (amazing) Vetiver. I associate Skai strongly with things like Star Wars and 2001 : A Space Odyssey (plus fantasy in general), so it can´t be nothing but wonderful.

Sure something alike DKNY Men 2009 - undescribable freshness of violets and citruses over Iso E Super, that reminds me of shampoo.
    I do not like it - but this decade is made by those wannabees.

What I cherish from the decade is Sycomore by Chanel.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Other than on BN is Terre d'Hermes even that popular? I've never smelled it on anyone, nor does anyone I know even know about it. If we're going by sales as a factor, I'd think it would be doing poorly considering it's priced slightly higher than your average designer scent. Heck, I've smelt Dior Homme on a number of people.
    1. A few people have made the point that this is not a popularity contest.

2. Popular appeal and artistic merit rarely intersect.

Quote Originally Posted by Torvo View Post
    In my opinion Dior Homme epitomizes the masculine trends of 00-10
    I agree, Dior Homme was a totally unexpected gift to men's fragrances.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I think TdH probably is a pretty big seller, at least for its price. My Nordstrom and several other stores that generally have pretty dismal offerings feature TdH rather prominently. Considering that it's Hermes (not the most popular house these days), and that it came out in '06, I'm surprised at how ubiquitous it still is at retailers. It must be selling or they wouldn't carry it.

As for the OP's question...
    I think Terre d'Hermes probably is the best choice. It does something genuinely new to the played out "fresh" genre of the 90s/early 00s and takes the category to a new and respectable place, has the kind of wide appeal that sells (a valid consideration in choosing a fragrance of the decade, IMO), and is pretty good all around.

Runner up: Gucci PH, for unabashedly breaking the mold and making the scent a half-burnt block of wood stylish and acceptable for sale at fine retailers everywhere.

Second Runner Up: Dior Homme, for reasons already well stated.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 28th December 2009 at 04:54 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Tauer Lonestar Memories

Next decade: [B][B][B]CCostume National Homme

Almost everything from Andy Tauer, most of L´Histoires de Parfums, most of F. Malle esp. Noir Epices, Vetiver Extraordinaire, French Lover. Vero Kern´s three masterpieces; Lynn Harris´ Fleur de Sel and L´air de rien; Chanel´s 31 Rue Cambon and Sycomore; Bertrand Duchoufour´s work for Eau d´Italie, esp. Sienne l´hiver and for L´Artisan. Dior Homme and Terre d´Hermès.
    My personal favs are: Sycomore, 1740 Marquis de Sade, Lonestar Memories, Nicolaï Homme and Vetyver, Noir Epices.

Have to concur with Tauer's L' air du desert Marocain.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Tom seems to be right en point when it comes to forseeing trends and arguably happens to the the last decade's sultan of style. Black Orchid epitomises the return to glamour and excess that was lacking in the 90's, and flourished again in the 00's.
    Tom Ford Black Orchid - most definitely.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

If it was based on the most excellent blending and quality that returned perfumery to its ancient beginnings than I'd have to say Amouage Homage or Tribute.

Most Unique scent well done:Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire or Tabacco Vanille by Tom Ford.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Depending on the day, it's Homage or Tribute. Definitely an honorable mention goes to Black Aoud.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    In my opinion, the last decade has stood out, especially, but not exclusively, thanks to these particular frags, namely:

Mugler Cologne (2001)- almost a niche-like Eau de Cologne quality and distinction, at designer prices. I've always searched for an Eau de Cologne-style frag comparable to the famous fresh, citrus-herbal smelling colognes from century-old fragrance houses, yet at the same time youthful enough to be suitable not just for casual wear, but also for a more contemporary environment and finally found this-: it is so cutting-edge, yet so distinguished at the same time , without even giving the feeling of unifying two extremes (the old-world and Old School luxury on one hand, a tasteful interpretation of postmodernity on the other).

Rive Gauche PH by YSL (2003)- another one of my faves from this particular decade and far more than a barbershop-smelling frag. No, it's actually the frag the niche firms would only dream of making, since, although first released in 2003, it has a certain classic, yet not obsolete, vibe to it. Understated elegance, almost universal wearability and very mature, yet also suitable for the younger crowd, who want to be more than just the "young generation" and who what to buy a piece of sophisticated, yet versatile chic without neither being too formal, nor emptying their accounts too much (because, if cash was the issue, Rive Gauche has a further advantage, it is available for almost minimal prices)

YSL M7 (2002)- Can an Oriental be manly and powerful, without smelling intoxicating or overpowering? Well, this one can

YSL Opium Eau d'Orient (2006)- a limited edition flanker which is actually worth getting. It smells more subtle, creamier and more solar, than the original Opium, more floral and sometimes even more peppery (but all in very pleasant way) to my nose
    Burberry London for Men (2006)- sweet, but not unappealing, gourmand without being effeminate, I never knew that a vanillic-spicy frag can be so sophisticated, so dignified and so suitable for evening wear

Cerutti 1881 Amber (2002)- if you're into ambery and slightly "animalic" notes, this one may be for you, since, apart from its name, it offers much more than amber, combining this ingredient with floral, aromatic and even slightly leathery notes (especially during the drydown), plus the advantage of lasting quite long

Baldessarini Ambre (2007)- another treat for Amber fans, combining something of the almost Baroque splendor of the original Baldessarini with the ruggedly handsome ambery notes, all in a perfect harmony

Vetiver Lanvin (the 2003 new release)- an interesting, somewhat "greener" smelling, but also smoother alternative to most niche and designer vetiver frags, very close to the skin though, but in an unobtrusive, discreet, always enjoyable way

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein (2005)- I'm usually not into sweet frags, but this one is the exception, which confirms the rule- one of the few "dark aquatics" (yes it might not be the appropriate term, but this is the way I perceive this one) without any annoying watery-ozonic touches, actually a very edgy frag, just carefully draped in some very soft suede notes, and no, by suede I'm not influenced in any way by the notes of this frag listed on it's main page, hell, I detected suede-smelling notes in it from the first whiff, long before I came across its Basenotes page

Solo Loewe (2004)- very complex, sensual and warm Mediterranean frag, the woody-spicy drydown being just the right one after its initial citrus-fruity opening

Jil Sander Man (2007)- the essence of cool and of clean-cut, no-nonsense classiness, a bit linear at first, but the uncommon, smoky-dry finish surely make up for the initial olfactory sensations

Roadster by Cartier (2008)- a mint-smelling frag that can be deep and elegant. Slightly "antiquated", "modern classic" (again, NOT in a dated way) about this one, even reminding me of the expensive leather in some well-preserved and very exclusive oldtimer car, there is something about this one which always stands out, yet without being pushy or ever renouncing its almost proverbial distinction

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior (2007)- perceived by some as a mere "poorer relation" of the original Fahrenheit, this one actually smells amazing to me, bright, uncomplicated yet subtle, possibly due to the smoothness of vanilla and floral notes. Extremely suitable to be worn in late spring or in summer (yet anything but a generic "summery" frag, although light enough to be worn during the warmer seasons)

This list is far from complete and only includes frags, which came to my mind right now, therefore, it is neither alphabetical or chronological, it just follows the random order of some personal impressions. I have also chosen to name more than one frag and refrain from any ranking between the aforementioned ones, hoping that I could provide a broader range available for the next extensive fragrance search/testing/sampling, with more than one candidate for the title of the best frag (ore one of the best frags) of this decade. Nevertheless, enjoy, hoping hat it could be of some help and it could provide some useful info.

Happy holidays and wonderful Christmas!

I'm really sorry, but I don't see anything here that remotely qualifys for fragrance of the decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir4 View Post
    If it was based on the most excellent blending and quality that returned perfumery to its ancient beginnings than I'd have to say Amouage Homage or Tribute.

Most Unique scent well done:Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire or Tabacco Vanille by Tom Ford.
    Completely 100% off topic, but regarding Ambre Russe how come no reviews EVER mention it being animalic? It was overwhelmingly fecal on my skin. Does anyone else get anything like this?

I have tried it a few times on skin and no I don't get any fecal notes. If anything Ambre Russe smells expensive, luxurious and hits the nail on the head when it comes to accurately describing the Russian Empire in a bottle. Did you let the scent runs it course? This fecal note your eluding to may die down once the blast of the top notes expire.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir4 View Post
    I have tried it a few times on skin and no I don't get any fecal notes. If anything Ambre Russe smells expensive, luxurious and hits the nail on the head when it comes to accurately describing the Russian Empire in a bottle. Did you let the scent runs it course? This fecal note your eluding to may die down once the blast of the top notes expire.
    You're right, I should have let it dry down, I scrubbed it after a half hour.