Code of Conduct

Default Acqua di Parma Colonia Smell-Alike

Hi, I use my Acqua di Parma Colonia very sparingly because I have a small bottle, acquired in a trade (thanks Snowbunny82!!!). I really really like the lemony, Lemon Pledge freshness of AdP, but damn this stuff is expensive!!!

Can I have some suggestions for fragrances that smell a LOT like Acqua di Parma Colonia, but are more in the $50 USD range??

Thank you and Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by Duncan; 24th December 2009 at 02:58 PM.

Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Smell-Alike

Castile though it is soapy and more musky.

I find that Penhaligon's Castile is an excellent match for Colonia Assouluta, but not quite for Colonia. Last time I looked, the Penhaligon's frags were about the same cost as the AdP.
    Last edited by JonB; 24th December 2009 at 03:33 PM.

Jacques Fath Green Water is a nice alternative to AdP Colonia in summer and quite similar IMO. It's not cheap cheap but I'm pretty sure it's not as dear as AdP & Penhaligons either. And it's good . . . I just can't remember the price, sorry.

Castile is not in the price range you are looking for.

The one scent that is in the price range and bears some similarity is Roger & Gallett Jean Marie Farina Extra Vielle. See:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CB8QrQQwAA

for several below $50.

I have not tried Green Water yet, so I cannot comment on it.

I do think AdP Colonia is an outstanding scent and would encourage anyone who loves it to save your money and get some (eventually).
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 24th December 2009 at 03:53 PM.

Eau Sauvage

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    The one scent that is in the price range and bears some similarity is Roger & Gallett Jean Marie Farina Extra Vielle.
    Let me second Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille.

It has the same masculine rose note that I love in AdP Colonia.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

The one scent that is in the price range and bears some similarity is Roger & Gallett Jean Marie Farina Extra Vielle. See:

for several below $50.
    I third that.
    Last edited by Trebor; 24th December 2009 at 04:26 PM.

Monsieur de Givenchy will get you most of the way there was a fraction of the price.

What about Coach Leatherware for Men? I got a practically new bottle on the BST for like $50.

I really recommend you try Colonia Assoulta Intensa before springing on this one
    IMHO intense is 10x better
    check it out!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Agree.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I third that.
    I fourth it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have never seen Jean Marie Farina mentioned on any Roger & Gallett Extra Vielle edc bottles advertised online. Are they different?

YSL Pour Homme and Pour Homme Haute Concentration also have that classic citrus vibe that is similar to Colonia.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Castile though it is soapy and more musky.
    I was going to say Castile, but figured it's basically in the exact same price range as AdP.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Thanks so much for everyone who posted---you gave me some great ideas! I wouldn't mind the Intensa at all, but I'm convinced we're talking about $130 USD.

Merry Christmas everyone...you guys and gals make Basenotes one of the best sites on the Internet.

Keep more ideas coming on this one!

Just be aware that Intensa is nothing like the original Colonia or Assoluta; it's not at all dominated by the standard eau de cologne elements. Intensa is much more woody and dry.

^Yeah, I didn't like Intensa.

And I 4th R&G JMF Extra Vieille, althouhg it has virtually none of the lavender or powdery notes in AdP, which is exactly what I disliked about AdP Colonia.
    Fath's Green Water reformulation is another masculine neroli-rich EDC-style scent, that I like, but it is mych grassier and greener than any EDC-style scent.

I was looking at hugh parsons yellow as a solution for loving the topnotes of Coloni.

If anyone can comment on Hugh Parsosns yellow.....

Though not at all the same scent, Ferre's Bergamotto Marino occupied a similar space in my wardrobe. This one performed better for me than ADP, on the occasions I reached for it. A little less starchy and stuffy, and relatively cheap.

kim

eau de orange verte smells almost the same without the price imo.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Just be aware that Intensa is nothing like the original Colonia or Assoluta; it's not at all dominated by the standard eau de cologne elements. Intensa is much more woody and dry.
    Agreed.

Traditional Eau de Colognes are classified as Citrus fragrances.

I like Intensa but the patchouli and leather move it into the fresh Dry Woods category:
    Top Notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Cardamom, Ginger
    Middle Notes: Mugwort, Neroli, Myrtle
    Base Notes: Cedarwood, Lignum Vitae, Patchouli, Benzoin, Leather, Musk, Smoky Woods
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Just to tie a ribbon around this thread, my R&G Jean Marie Farina came by USPS today from Ultrafragrances.com. WOW, perhaps my nose is not as discerning as some of yours (who can detect subtle notes), but this is virtually identical to AdP Colonia! (tho haven't assessed the sillage and longevity yet) Thanks to scentsitivity and all the others who seconded. It's going to be an extremely lemony summer 2010.

Love the bottle too....very classy....
    “Government big enough to supply
    everything you need is big enough
    to take everything you have.”
    Thomas Jefferson

I think Comme des Garcons' Citrico is highly reminiscent of Acqua di Parma Colonia.

The "intensa" version remember me a lot le labo rose 31

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Water by Jacques Fath definitely has the same vibe IMO.
    (1098)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

PDN Colonge Solonge