Code of Conduct

Unhappy A sad, sad day indeed

Well for my 500th post, I thought I was going to post something fun and cheery, but alas, it is my duty to inform you fellow Basenoters that Attrape Couer is discontinued!!!
    http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...t-through.html
    Stock up while you can!!!

Default Re: A sad, sad day indeed

Wow, what a bummer! I've never understood the rhyme or reason why they do the things they do. Idiots.

On the good side, congrats on your 500th!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Just when I started 'getting' it!!! Thanks for the head's up
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Basenotes Institution

Yes it's a crying shame but I am glad Guerlain has some integrity to discontinue instead of messing with the formula .
    (Congrats on 500 posts ! )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Yes I read that this morning. Let the hoarding begin!

Blog Entries

Wink Re: A sad, sad day indeed

Did someone say hoarding and Guerlain in the same sentence. Wow! Let the games begin. (LOL) I can do this!
    Congratulations on your 500. 1000 better be good news.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 17th December 2009 at 08:48 PM.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: A sad, sad day indeed

Dimitri; I think there is a meeting somewhere in a back room in Paris on a regular basis where decisions are made as to how to piss off the public and then as they watch the posts on Base Notes they giggle as they read. Of course this is just a fictional story. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Yes I read that this morning. Let the hoarding begin!

Blog Entries

Angry Re: A sad, sad day indeed

Did anyone notice the reference to a possible demise of my beloved Mitsouko? Are these people nuts? Sounds like it is hoarding time for Mitsouko too. Eau de Eau is all we are going to have left folks.

Well, it all calls to mind the tumbrels traveling to the Guillotine during the terror of the Revolution. One knows not which fragrances will be saved at the end of the IFRA terror. Many beloved ones are doomed to a death of discontinuation, or even worse...death by re-orchestration.
    As for Mitsouko; it is one of their largest money-makers, not to mention a true classic, and LVMH is all about money. They have already done their hacking to that formula to bring it in line, by the time they are done with it, in the future, Pine-Sol might actually have more "natural" ingredients in it. C'est la vie
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Naturally, they're only discontinuing the non-sellers, i.e. if a fragrance sells well they reformulate it like Mitsouko or Shalimar. So this is a great way for Guerlain to discontinue these fragrances, blame it on the IFRA and not suffer loss of face.

Personally I don't really care for these fragrances except possibly Metalys which I haven't thoroughly enough but is nice. Well, and I would've loved to test Chant d'Aromes extrait but that one's been discontinued for quite a while.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Did anyone notice the reference to a possible demise of my beloved Mitsouko? Are these people nuts? Sounds like it is hoarding time for Mitsouko too. Eau de Eau is all we are going to have left folks.
    N_Tesla- I think Mitsouko is safe- it's a big seller. Helg from Perfumeshrine has reassured me .
    I must pray to the perfume gods tonight ..............

Dimitri; I think there is a meeting somewhere in a back room in Paris on a regular basis where decisions are made as to how to piss off the public and then as they watch the posts on Base Notes they giggle as they read. Of course this is just a fictional story. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.
    N_Tesla, I've often imagined this scenario myself. Their drunken corporate Christmas parties involve throwing a dart at a pinboard covered in A4 glossies of their perfumes in a sick game of "Which one goes next?!"

Blog Entries

Unhappy Re: A sad, sad day indeed

I too would have like to test the Chant d'Aromes extrait. I will look around but doubt it findable now.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    Naturally, they're only discontinuing the non-sellers, i.e. if a fragrance sells well they reformulate it like Mitsouko or Shalimar. So this is a great way for Guerlain to discontinue these fragrances, blame it on the IFRA and not suffer loss of face.

Personally I don't really care for these fragrances except possibly Metalys which I haven't thoroughly enough but is nice. Well, and I would've loved to test Chant d'Aromes extrait but that one's been discontinued for quite a while.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: A sad, sad day indeed

mysticknot; It's not to late for another French revolution! Viva la Mitsouko!

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    N_Tesla- I think Mitsouko is safe- it's a big seller. Helg from Perfumeshrine has reassured me .
    I must pray to the perfume gods tonight ..............

Blog Entries

Exclamation Re: A sad, sad day indeed

The logic of some of these moves is just removed from reason. These men create a loyal following, spending lots of money on advertising just so they can pull the rug out from under us. It is like saying that the Mona Lisa is no longer something that is worth holding onto. The Classics should remain, whatever it takes, so that the integrity of the art of fragrance can continue. This IFRA ploy by the industry is really chapping my posterior.

N_Tesla, I've often imagined this scenario myself. Their drunken corporate Christmas parties involve throwing a dart at a pinboard covered in A4 glossies of their perfumes in a sick game of "Which one goes next?!"

Blog Entries

Exclamation Re: A sad, sad day indeed

The logic of some of these moves is just removed from reason. These men create a loyal following, spending lots of money on advertising just so they can pull the rug out from under us. It is like saying that the Mona Lisa is no longer something that is worth holding onto. The Classics should remain, whatever it takes, so that the integrity of the art of fragrance can continue. This IFRA thing created by the industry is really chapping my posterior.

Basenotes Institution

mysticknot; It's not to late for another French revolution! Viva la Mitsouko!
    C'est tres vrai !
    Long live Mitsouko !

I'm extremely annoyed at Guerlain. I know they won't miss my business, but I don't feel like buying anything more from them at this point.
    Last edited by Caron33; 18th December 2009 at 11:08 PM.

Basenotes Institution

You know ,I still find this whole reformulation / discontinuing thing hard to understand. One hand you get some guy from IFRA on Perfume Of Life saying ...we are protecting our fragrances by restricting ourselves before our hand is forced and on the the hand I hear Guerlain saying , we have to comply to new regulations and stay within the law ..which is it ?
    I have really gotten my knickers in a twist with all this IFRA nonsense but which is the truth ? Right now, the ground beneath us perfumistas is shaking . I know I sound melodramatic ...........
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 18th December 2009 at 10:40 PM.

Blog Entries

mysticknot; I don't think your being melodramatic but, rather justifiably concerned, as we all should be, that the treasured classic juices that we hold in adoration are being systematically removed from our purvey. Once they are gone who will remember what fine fragrances is supposed to smell of?

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    You know ,I still find this whole reformulation / discontinuing thing hard to understand. One hand you get some guy from IFRA on Perfume Of Life saying ...we are protecting our fragrances by restricting ourselves before our hand is forced and on the the hand I hear Guerlain saying , we have to comply to new regulations and stay within the law ..which is it ?
    I have really gotten my knickers in a twist with all this IFRA nonsense but which is the truth ? Right now, the ground beneath us perfumistas is shaking . I know I sound melodramatic ...........

This is very sad. I smelled Attrape Coeur at our LA Meet-up during the summer. It is very beautiful.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 19th December 2009 at 05:38 AM.
    Evenstar

I got it confirmed officially now, yes Attrape-Cœur will no longer be produced. If it's the IFRA restrictions, I think it's kind of cool that Guerlain decides not to reformulate it but rather take it out of production. And we have Nuit d'Amour to replace it next year

Sad news, indeed, about Attrape Couer. I read about this on PerfumeShrine the other day. I was rather surprised, tell you the truth, but then the way Guerlain have been going these days, maybe I shouldn't have been.

Guerlain knows very well what sells well and does not. They want to show their power and this is a way of controlling the followers. AC will come back sooner or later and perhaps under another title. As long as they can make money, they won't mind IFRA or EU regulations.
    Of course, someday all these regualtions and allergen warnings, etc. will come to an end too. The world is changing and maybe not in this generation but the next will see more control over these things by real people.
    RM