Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Carven Homme vs. Zino Davidoff

The reviews of Carven Homme make it sound like it smells a lot like Zino Davidoff. I already own Zino, and I love it, and I'm interested in getting the Carven too. However, if Carven smells too much like Zino, I don't want to waste the money. Any thoughts on the comparison b/w the two?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Carven Homme vs. Zino Davidoff

They have lavender, sage, patch and some spices in common, true, but they feel very different. Carven Homme is much lighter, more buoyant to my nose, and reads much more like a traditional fougere with a prominent tarragon note than Zino, which seems nearly oriental to me. I don't think there's much danger of feeling that these are redundant.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with strolly. The other evening I asked a gentleman if he was wearing Carven Homme. Answer: no. It was Hermes Baisir du Dragon. No similarity to Zino at all IMO. I have mistaken smelling Zino out when I was actually smelling Mugler's Angel on the girls!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    They have lavender, sage, patch and some spices in common, true, but they feel very different. Carven Homme is much lighter, more buoyant to my nose, and reads much more like a traditional fougere with a prominent tarragon note than Zino, which seems nearly oriental to me. I don't think there's much danger of feeling that these are redundant.
    I agree.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

Shamu, any wardrobe should have both these fantastic fragrances . There were a couple of reviews, if I am not mistaken, that actually compared the two ( Carven and Zino) as being very similar. But I'll echo the sentiments of the above posters.

And it is interesting that Hermes Baisir du Dragon has some similar characteristics to Carven Homme. I will have to sample this Hermes. I still cannot get ahold of a full bottle of Carven Homme. Really hard for me to find .

The thing that separates CH from "women's" Orientals, in general of course, is the lavender. Otherwise, it's spices, rosewood, and vanilla, which could be in any women's Oriental frag (balance might be a bit different). A women's might substitute a little "dirty" jasmine for the lavender. From what I remember, Zino was quite different. I think as a "newbie," I suggested it was like a combination of TdH, Jovan's Sex Appeal for Men, and Ungaro 2, and I might still think that way, but that sample is long gone. LOL.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 26th December 2009 at 07:05 PM.