Code of Conduct

Default Application of Powerhouse Fragrances

What are your personal techniques for applying Powerhouse fragrances, such as Kouros, Opium, and Yatagan? Have you ever intentionally applied too much fragrance to get a reaction from others?
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Default Re: Application of Powerhouse Fragrances

My application is the same for all the fragrances I have whether they be "powerhouse" or not.

Dependent

I think like most folks, I am more cautious with the known powerhouses when it comes to application. Moderation is key! Sure, if you're up for some fun and mischief, you could over apply for a reaction, but that's not something we'd do regularly.

With "Powerhouses" I tend to do the walk-thru. A spray or two in the air in front of me and then I simply walk-thru the mist. It works for me, but then again, I tend to be very conscious and cautious about over-applying. The last thing I want is to be considered "the cologne guy."

Quote Originally Posted by sirsmellzalot View Post
    With "Powerhouses" I tend to do the walk-thru. A spray or two in the air in front of me and then I simply walk-thru the mist. It works for me, but then again, I tend to be very conscious and cautious about over-applying. The last thing I want is to be considered "the cologne guy."
    Yep, this is what I do with Epic. I always spray on my chest (from long distance). only max 2 sprays.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't find the so-called powerhouses that strong. Only in comparison with many weak, relatively insubstantial contemporary fragrances do they seem strong. I don't think most guys should be afraid of wearing them with confidence.

Nothing fancy or careful for me, usually four to six sprays, but it depends on my mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    Have you ever intentionally applied too much fragrance to get a reaction from others?
    No way. Subtlety is key. I hit my chest, back, each arm, and my neck twice each, and then I "walk through" an additional spritz. Before I leave the house I spray twice on my tongue too, so that my breath smells like Kouros. At lunch hour I touch up.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't find the so-called powerhouses that strong. Only in comparison with many weak, relatively insubstantial contemporary fragrances do they seem strong. I don't think most guys should be afraid of wearing them with confidence.

Nothing fancy or careful for me, usually four to six sprays, but it depends on my mood.
    You may not be in the minority. And i agree that confidence is required for powerhouse frags. It may be a bit odd trying to be discreet with a powerhouse. Why bother at all?
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict
    confidence is required for powerhouse frags. It may be a bit odd trying to be discreet with a powerhouse. Why bother at all?
    This makes sense - you doesn't wear Kouros or Opium to blend in with the crowd - but one of the perks of powerhouses is that they can be toned down via lighter application. My favorite scents are the ones that apparently 90% of the population feels are "too much", so when I don't want to broadcast my fabulous fragrance to less-than-appreciative bystanders, I'll dial down the number of sprays. It turns a fiery sillage monster into a more smouldering, subdued essence. You can choose to wear powerhouse scents however you like. (Exceptions include Joop! and Poison, which are screechy no matter how light the application.)

Double post, oops.

Sur la Plage

You are not in the minority to me my friend - I absolutely agree with you.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sometimes I decant powerhouse frags from their spray bottles into sample vials, so I can then dab the fragrance on my skin with the vial's applicator. This makes the sillage much more controllable.
    Looking for: Creed caps

If I am going to wear a powerful I scent use moderation.....a key word when wearing a powerhouse!
    Gary

I just touch my finger to the cap of the unopened bottle and make a wish...
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

It's not an issue for me. Here's a tip: use less if you think any scent might require less.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Let Mr. Bronson show you how it's done:

Congratulations, Sugandaraja!!

So this, then, is the kernel of the brute.
    Perhaps, we all should rethink.

Caution: It works with vintage stuff only, for reformulas just take two bottles.
    Last edited by easyfish; 27th July 2010 at 07:42 PM.

1 or 2 sprays to the neck. i love applying it here instead of chest/ wrists. at the neck you can immediately smell yourself as the scent seems to rise to you nostrils.
    “The Sandal Tree as if to prove,
    How sweet to conquer hate by love,
    Perfumes the axe that lays it low.” Rabindranath Tagore, Indian poet.

back of the neck or behind ears to not bother me during infinite sillage
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    I just touch my finger to the cap of the unopened bottle and make a wish...
    lol - thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Heerst View Post
    Sometimes I decant powerhouse frags from their spray bottles into sample vials, so I can then dab the fragrance on my skin with the vial's applicator. This makes the sillage much more controllable.
    Similarly, I decant some powerhouses to a small roll-on bottle for better application control.

* sorry, double post *
    Last edited by zliang; 28th July 2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Double post

I don't think most guys should be afraid of wearing them with confidence.

In my humble opinion, the issue at play is not whether the wearer feels confident or not, but whether people around us are bothered. Of course, once you know that any person in your vicinity (a co-worker, a friend) has real, medical problems (allergies, asthma) the decent thing to do is to avoid fragrance altogether - even Windsor, the opposite of powerhouse, may create a problem for somebody and one should never let one's narcissism get in the way of simple decency and considerateness. When it comes to the really strong stuff, even people who in principle are not allergic to everything can start coughing and just feeling darn uncomfortable around you, and I'd never want to cause that, no matter my mood or my motives. But then I am not a young guy, so what do I know...

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    ...Have you ever intentionally applied too much fragrance to get a reaction from others?
    Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    In my humble opinion, the issue at play is not whether the wearer feels confident or not, but whether people around us are bothered. Of course, once you know that any person in your vicinity (a co-worker, a friend) has real, medical problems (allergies, asthma) the decent thing to do is to avoid fragrance altogether - even Windsor, the opposite of powerhouse, may create a problem for somebody and one should never let one's narcissism get in the way of simple decency and considerateness. When it comes to the really strong stuff, even people who in principle are not allergic to everything can start coughing and just feeling darn uncomfortable around you, and I'd never want to cause that, no matter my mood or my motives. But then I am not a young guy, so what do I know...
    I think we can safely assume that nobody has implied they intentionally over-apply just to get reactions from others. On the other hand, one half-spray under 3 layers of clothing is pointless. We are BaseNoters, aren't we, and ought to know how to apply sensibly. Since the OP did not limit the wearing environment to cubicles or close-quarters, answers remain considerate even if divergent from others' opinions.

Personally, maybe i am fortunate living where i do, but even with Kouros, 4 sprays is just laying foundations. Nobody has ever complained and, believe me, we are not shy in expressing our feelings in these parts
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

My trick with my powerhouses, is to spray lightly and low.

For instance, a single spray of bogart pour homme on each shoe is plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Let Mr. Bronson show you how it's done:

LOL
    I forgot all about that asexual mongolian suicide nightmare.

i generally don't find myself wearing Amouage much these days.

that said, when I do, I find a dab behind the right ear (and right ear only) works best.

here's a demonstration:

i generally tend to wear too much of a scent that i either like (noir patchouli for eg...?) or something that doesnt stay with me for more than 10 hrs.

I also belong to the camp of heavy application in general. I don't believe in minute amounts of fragrance only to get a whiff. I like to be enveloped by scent. Yes, I agree 100% that there are settings and occasions that call for moderation but those are very, vrey few for me and I'm a sensible person.

I also have learned from experience that if you have a "difficult" scent applied too lightly, when people smell a mere trace of them, notes such as smoke, incense, indoles, vetiver, etc. are a much bigger problem. I get comments like "musty" (Vetiver de Guerlain), "electrical fire" (Gris Claire), etc. However, if enough fragrance is applied, the mind can place those notes in their appropriate context (i.e., "an unusual/interesting/weird, etc. fragrance"). It is more acceptable to the nose to smell them as part of a fragrance than as an unidentified smell coming from who-knows-where.

I used to wear Kouros very heavily as my signature scent for years. I had nothing but compliments form friends and strangers on the street alike. Back then I had no associations. It was before Basenotes...I'm too self-conscious about it now and can't pull it off.