Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default L'Occitane - Eau Des Baux and synthetic ingredients

Maybe it si easier to start a new thread...

I need a help!

I gave all my fragrances away because of theirs synthetic components and I'm trying to switch to a natural. Now the only one that remained on my shelf is L'Occitane - Eav des Bavx.
    So...I'm wondering about O d' Boh. How much synthetic is it???

When I asked L'Occitane they replied:
    ''We cannot give you the full formula from our fragrance but see below the notes(???) including in this eau de toilette:

Top Note: Black Pepper, Cardamom
    Middle Note: Cypress, Incense
    Bottom Note: Vanilla, Tonka''

THIS IS IDIOTIC!!! I only asked is there any synthetic component! Yes or no? What full formula???

Copy/paste from L'Occitane's web page:

''Our fragrances are composed around a heart of natural essences and comply with restrictions on synthetic components (notably phthalates) and allergens.'' (It doesn't mean that they don't use synthetic components like synthetic vanilla. Or...?)

''This fragrance (Eav des Bavx) is featuring head notes of red pepper corn and cardamom essential oil blossoming around a warm heart of Provencal cypress and incense.''

Please help!!! THX!

Sorry about my english...

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: L'Occitane - Eau Des Baux and synthetic ingredients

Dear Musk, Im not familiar with the L'Occitane scent you describe, but you will be hard pressed to find ANY perfume on the mainstream market that is 100% natural.
    Of course you can approach natural botanical perfumers such as the Scented Djinn, who can sell or make you something non-synthetic.

The only house that I can think of, on the mainstream market that guarantee their scents "86.5%" natural is Korres. This is quite high, compared to the majority of perfume releases.
    Click here to read more on their product: http://www.basenotes.net/showthread....ghlight=korres
    (Specifically my post #7 with photos).
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 27th December 2009 at 05:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Dimitri, thank u for your reply!

The thing is that L'occitane is telling to us that they use synthetic ingredients ONLY when they can't find the similar natural ones. Is it so hard to find the above listed ingredients that are natural???...like the natural vanilla? For them obviously it is!
    I don't care how much EDT cost me...but problem with L'Occitane is that they propagate the natural cosmetics and perfumery but when you ask them is there any synthetic ingredient in theirs product they keep their mouths shut. No answers! Or they say something equivocate like:
    ''We can confirm that the fragrance of the Eau des Baux Eau de Toilette is made of essential oils_ STOP!''

And? AND??? OK! Essential oils...I know! But apart from that IS THERE ANY SYNTHETIC ingredient in it? .........silence.

Because of this I don't trust them anymore.
    Last edited by Dear Musk; 27th December 2009 at 06:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

As someone who eats organic produce food as often as possible.......You're profoundly over-reacting.
    less than 1% of fragrances are 100% natural. L'Occitane's line is partly organic, partly not. But even the part of their line which cannot be labled as such is still a much higher percentage of naturals than most competitors.

There are alot of aromachemicals which occur in nature frequently, but when they are isolated, they cannot be called natural. For instance, in men's fragrance, Limonene, citral, geraniol, eugenol all occur in citrus, flowers, and cloves, but these ingredients are allergens and must be listed as synthetics/irritants................this is why I say the overreaction.

There are many houses which use a high percentage of naturals with some synthetics/isolates, but mind many using natural isolates still must legally list the natural isolates, and cannot then claim natural or organic.......see the discrepancy......

If you insist on a dictionary definition "Organic" edc/edt/edp, there are plenty of companies which list full organic edc/edt/edp's:

L'Artisan, Melvita, Honore Des Pres, Acorelle, Jo Wood, etc.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Musk, as stated before, your best bet is to forget the L'Occitane who are being evasive with their answer, and look into the many Natural Botanical Perfumers on the internet.

Post Thanks / Like

Dullah, thx for the response but we're talking about different things here.
    I'm takling about lies.
    If the isolated vanillin produced from the petrochemical raw material guaiacol cannot be called natural is because it's NOT natural.

Now...i agree with everything you say and i'm over-reacting only to the LIES.
    Last edited by Dear Musk; 27th December 2009 at 06:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Dear Musk, as stated before, your best bet is to forget the L'Occitane who are being evasive with their answer, and look into the many Natural Botanical Perfumers on the internet.
    You are right, Dimitri.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dear Musk View Post
    Dullah, thx for the response but we're talking about different things here.
    I'm takling about lies.
    Now...i agree with everything you say and i'm over-reacting only to the LIES.
    Ok I understand, but do they claim any of their fragrances are 100% organic or 100% natural?
    I see they advertise to be mostly natural.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Dimitri--go to a producer that is honest about their product. For 100% natural, try Mandy Aftel, AbdesSalaam Profumo, Ayala Moreil, Anya's Garden...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Ok I understand, but do they claim any of their fragrances are 100% organic or 100% natural?
    I see they advertise to be mostly natural.
    Yes! I've been told here at the L'Occitane store in Croatia that all notes (Black Pepper, Cardamom, Cypress, Incense, Vanilla, Tonka ...etc.) are natural...that every note is an essential oil not an isolate from some petrochemical material.

See? Lies.
    Last edited by Dear Musk; 27th December 2009 at 07:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I agree with Dimitri--go to a producer that is honest about their product. For 100% natural, try Mandy Aftel, AbdesSalaam Profumo, Ayala Moreil, Anya's Garden...
    Yes, i know about them all now. They are my next ones especially the AbdesSalaam Profumo.

Post Thanks / Like

From their website: "Our fragrances are composed around a heart of natural essences and comply with restrictions on synthetic components (notably phthalates) and allergens."

I think that pretty clearly illustrates what they are aiming for. To use as much naturals as possible while using whatever synthetics are needed, when naturals aren't available. Nowhere have I ever seen them advertising themselves as 100% natural or organic.

Edit: And even MORE to the point: "Some of our products use 100% ingredients of natural origin (the Very Precious Regenerating Concentrate with immortelle essential oil, shea butter, Mom & Baby Balm, etc.). The great majority of our products contain over 90% natural ingredients or ingredients of natural origin. Our ingredients of natural origin are indicated on most of our packaging by two stars ** in the product composition section."

Edit 2: Even MORE: "We always strive to use natural, traceable, high-quality ingredients (AOC controlled-origin, organic agriculture), which we source from local farming networks or sustainable development programs. However, to create a product that provides the highest level of safety and performance, we may use synthetic molecules (while always erring on the side of caution) when no reliable and effective natural alternative is available."
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 27th December 2009 at 07:51 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    From their website: Our fragrances are composed around a heart of natural essences and comply with restrictions on synthetic components (notably phthalates) and allergens.

I think that pretty clearly illustrates what they are aiming for. To use as much naturals as possible while using whatever synthetics are needed, when naturals aren't available. Nowhere have I ever seen them advertising themselves as 100% natural or organic.
    But that does't answer my question is there any (and how many) synthetic ingredient in the Eau des Baux! Does it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    From their website: "Our fragrances are composed around a heart of natural essences and comply with restrictions on synthetic components (notably phthalates) and allergens."

Edit: And even MORE to the point: "Some of our products use 100% ingredients of natural origin (the Very Precious Regenerating Concentrate with immortelle essential oil, shea butter, Mom & Baby Balm, etc.). The great majority of our products contain over 90% natural ingredients or ingredients of natural origin. Our ingredients of natural origin are indicated on most of our packaging by two stars ** in the product composition section."

Edit 2: Even MORE: "We always strive to use natural, traceable, high-quality ingredients (AOC controlled-origin, organic agriculture), which we source from local farming networks or sustainable development programs. However, to create a product that provides the highest level of safety and performance, we may use synthetic molecules (while always erring on the side of caution) when no reliable and effective natural alternative is available."
    Oh, man! This can mean that the Eau des Baux is made of 100% natural or 100% synthetic ingredients.
    English is not my language... Perhaps I'm stupid too. Hmmmm....

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! I've been told here at the L'Occitane store in Croatia that all notes (Black Pepper, Cardamom, Cypress, Incense, Vanilla, Tonka ...etc.) are natural...that every note is an essential oil not an isolate from some petrochemical material.

See? Lies.
    Well, that is a bold-faced lie, but from an employee, not acting in an official capacity. Report the employee/store to L'Occitane thru email LOL, if we are certain Eav des bavx uses any synthetic, which i assume is a safe bet.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, man! This can mean that the Eau des Baux is made of 100% natural or 100% synthetic ingredients.
    English is not my language... Perhaps I'm stupid too. Hmmmm....
    Yes, that's basically what it means. However, they say that they strive to use naturals in every possible situation. They only use synthetics if it isn't safe or legal to harvest naturals.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there are any perfume companies out there that are going to give you the formula, even the partial formula, for their any of their products!

And from a practical standpoint, anyone you communicate with over the internet is going to be a marketer or other business type. They probably don't know the formulas and probably don't have access to them anyway, even if they wanted to give them to you.

I think you're being too hard on L'Occitane. They're not doing anything that any other large fragrance manufacturer doesn't do, and I don't think they're being evasive in a negative sense. They're probably being as specific as possible within the limits of their corporate policies concerning proprietary information.

If it's that important to you, I also recommend investigating the individual perfumers such as Anya, Ayala and others already mentioned.

But that does't answer my question is there any (and how many) synthetic ingredient in the Eau des Baux! Does it?
    Last edited by noggs; 28th December 2009 at 03:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The "notes" don't necessarily correspond to the actual ingredients. They're just the scents that you'll smell but from what I understand they're usually made up of several things to give that note that may not even have anything to do with the original smell of the ingredient. It could be an isolated molecule that is the essence of taht ingredients smell or a bunch of other things entirely that put together somehow gives the impression of that note.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think you're wasting your time with L'Occitane if you want natural. They're proving it with their double-speak.

On the more expensive end, check out Aftelier perfumes. It's a lady in Berkeley who makes her own perfumes exclusively from essential oils she distills herself in her home workshop. Also, Honore de Pres is a natural organic line from very respected nose Olivia Giocobetti. Her citrus fragrance is the best I've ever smelled.

On the less expensive end, there are many less expensive essential oil perfumes available at natural grocery stores. If you favor patchoulis and ambers, they make an affordable alternative.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Also, Honore de Pres is a natural organic line from very respected nose Olivia Giocobetti. Her citrus fragrance is the best I've ever smelled.
    But here again is a perfect example of what I mentioned earlier. Olivia is forced to list Citral and Limonene as allergens/synthetics in her ingredient list, even though they may be natural isolates (or not), but to someone who is concerned of natural and organic things for health reasons, these isolate/synthetic ingredients pose no threat either way. If the concern is of another motivation besides health, then my comments should be ignored, and I respect the decision.