Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How to burn pure frankincense and myrrh?

I don't know how generally this works but I've found that I can burn my lumps of myrrh and frankincense directly. I put them in the empty aluminum cup left when a tea candle had all burned up. Then I just held a lighted match in direct contact with the resin until it caught. I only got the smell and the smoke of the incense, nothing extra from charcoal. For safety I worked on a hotpad, on a glass topped table, in the middle of the room, so I also didn't see smoke on any walls or fabrics. If the fire goes out while some material remains unburned, I just leave it until next time when I add some fresh resin to light. In a confined space the fire goes nicely from one lump to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Kav View Post
    The smoke IS part of the experience.
    I agree, but I also understand concerns about soot damage. In a church or old stone building, soot is part of the charm. But in your home smoke can damage furnishings.
    Currently wearing: Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

IMG_0629 by ConiferLover, on Flickr

IMG_0628 by ConiferLover, on Flickr
    This came in the mail today. I have been influenced my Mumsy in the resins department. I think its a nice catch, what doo you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Digindirt View Post

IMG_0629 by ConiferLover, on Flickr

IMG_0628 by ConiferLover, on Flickr
    This came in the mail today. I have been influenced my Mumsy in the resins department. I think its a nice catch, what doo you guys think?
    You see, they do indeed look like gemstones!

Enjoy!!
    "...her fragrance all in my keeping; softly she comes in the night." Lyrics, Gordon Lightfoot, "Softly."

Basenotes Member

I've been making incense for years too, but I never knew about the putting ash on the charcoal bit.
    Nice tip, thanks for that.
    I often find myself rushing over to the incense burner and removing the blackened pieces when the incense has finished, as too much of the 'after smell' is a bit chokey.

Another good thing to burn is fruit tree woods, and mixed with Frankincense, they smell really nice.
    Like others have said, Myrrh is best in smaller ratios when burned with Frankincense, as it can be a bit overpowering, but I do like it on it's own too in small amounts.

I usually break the charcoal blocks into quarters too, as the room fills with smoke long before the charcoal has finished, but that's in an average sized room.

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    As mentioned upthread, the two simplest way to burn these resins are on charcoal or in an electric incense warmer. Two sites that sell both are Mermade Magickal Arts (don't be put off by the extreme New Aginess) and Essence of the Ages. Both are, incidentally, excellent incense e-tailers. The latter has a wide variety of incenses from around the world. The former sells its own incenses and also has excellent hougary frankincense from Oman.
    I just bought the electric Golden Lotus incense burner from Mermade Magickal Arts, and it not only looks great with a beautiful oriental design, it is very well made with a temp controler. I have been through a few other electric burners, and they have been junk. This one is really nice, and it does a fine job with any resins or powders. It comes with a small cup to use for oils at alow temp, and it has some reusable foil cups for use with the resins. It also comes with a few nice tools to use to turn the resins. They get very hot. I use this as well as charcoal to burn mostly frankincense resin. I am fairly new to frankincense but now, I am really into it. I burn it alot. There is frankincense, and then there's really good frankincense. I have found, it's not worth buying the cheap kind from Africa. If you really want the full lemon/pine scent from frankincense, then you should buy only from Oman.
    Their's is the best in the world, and the top of the line is called Royal Green. It runs somewhere around $10.00 to $12.00 an once. But, some sellers are gouging the public now, and the price is around $17.00 to $20.00 an once on some sites. Some places are doing a sneeky practice of buying the lower grade frankincense, and then coating it in frankincense oil to add some scent to it. Don't buy it with oil on it! Good franincense has plenty of it's own oil, and there's no reason to add more. It's a scam. If you see any bright, shiny frankincense for sale, don't buy it. It may look pretty, but it's been "treated", meaning coated with oil. What happens is when you put a small piece on hot charcoal, it stinks, and puts out way too much smoke. Not white smoke but dark smoke, which is the oil burning. If you have ever burned any essential oil, you know how bad it smells.It's ok on the electric though.

So, there are shops and scoundrels selling this, and other fake frankincense on some US sites, as well as Ebay. Be very careful as the popularity is going way up, and that brings out the aromatherapy scoundrels. Remember how sandalwood oil was once affordable, and smelled great? Those days are now gone.Well, there will soon be a shortage of the trees that have the frankincense resin on them also.

Oman has these grades of frankincense: Royal Green, which is top of the line, and SO nice! You can smell the lemon and pine scent just holding a chunk in your hand. Just amazing stuff. The next one down is Superior, which is great too. Just not as nice as the green It's much more affordable, and burns nice too. I use that one mostly. You can make some nice frankincense oil with that one. That's my next project.
    Then there's the dark kind, called Magseel. I'm not too crazy about the smell of this one. It's too musky. I prefer the lemony scent more.

At the bottom is a combination of frankincense resins that the adverage family in Oman burns at home every night. It's a mix of light and dark and it's priced good.

It's kind of strange but the most expensive ,Royal Green, has nearly the same amount of oil as the lower priced dark type. But, the scent is not to my liking. It's used mainly for oil making. As for price. The more you buy the cheaper they sell it. Royal Green is around $12.00 an once, but cheaper is you get like 4 oz.-If you want a kilo, it's a little over $200.00 and that comes to a little over $5.00 an once! So, that's the way to go with this. I don't know if I'm allowed to give out the name. I don't want to be accused of spamming the site. If you Google Oman Frankincense resin, you'll find it. Great stuff!

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

They look really nice and easy to use.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Red face Re: How to burn pure frankincense and myrrh?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    They look really nice and easy to use.
    They really are worth it! Also do lots of different colours too, so blends right in with my living room

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Quote Originally Posted by Maisie1 View Post
    They really are worth it! Also do lots of different colours too, so blends right in with my living room
    Do you happen to know if they have a US distributor?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Those are great! I'd like one in my car. I could keep a small bag of resin in their to make long trips much better! Wonder where you buy them in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Do you happen to know if they have a US distributor?
    No, but looking at the customer care part of the website, international delivery looks quite reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Robspace1 View Post
    Those are great! I'd like one in my car. I could keep a small bag of resin in their to make long trips much better! Wonder where you buy them in the US?
    Looking at the customer care part of the website, international delivery looks quite reasonable.

Looking at the customer care part of the website, international delivery looks quite reasonable.
    I think the price is a little too high at around $95.00 US with shipping. Think I'll wait until their sold cheaper.