Code of Conduct

Default ......What category am I missing?..........Or would compliment what I have

-Artisan (2009) John Varvatos *(Bad Buy)
    -Body Kouros (2000) Yves Saint Laurent
    -Bulgari Aqua pour Homme (2005)
    -Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée (1989)
    -Gucci Pour Homme II (2007)
    -Gucci pour Homme (2003)
    -L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme (2004) Issey Miyake
    -M7 (2002) Yves Saint Laurent
    -Michael for Men (2001) Michael Kors
    -Tokyo (2007) Kenzo *(Bad Buy)
    -Versace Man Eau Fraîche (2006)

* I have been thinking Egoiste or Antaeus
    Last edited by fkc_nner; 28th December 2009 at 03:20 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: ......What category am I missing?..........Or would compliment what I have

Do you like vetiver? If so, try Vetiver by Guerlain (I prefer the Eau de Cologne version, not the easy-to-find Eau de Toilette) or Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford.

You might want to sample these 'classics' that I think every Basenoter should at least try once: Rive Gauche Pour Homme by YSL, Terre de Hermes by Hermes, Habit Rouge by Guerlain (again, the EdC version I prefer over the EdT), L' Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer...to name a few.

Oh and yes, please investigate Egoiste, which I love - but make sure you try Egoiste not Platinum Egoiste (which is what you see in US stores). Antaeus by Chanel is a classic, but sadly the juice on shelves now has been reformulated so I would hesitate suggesting it, unless you can source an old, vintage bottle.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th December 2009 at 03:26 AM.

Default Re: ......What category am I missing?..........Or would compliment what I have

I have a sample of Desert Marocain on the way so I can add that to my list

Maybe you would like to add to your frag wardrobe a classic, fresh and quite subtle Eau de Cologne, either in a very traditional formulation like the ones from Farina Gegenuber, Jean Marie Farina, Roger & Gallet, Acqua di Parma, Carthusia and a few more, or a more contemporary take on the subject, yet still with some classic touches, as in Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte (including flankers) or in Mugler Cologne

for a more rugged, persistent yet elegant frag- there is always room for something leathery: Antaeus is a mild leathery frag, but Helmut Lang Cuiron, Creed REL or the much talked about Knize Ten might be good choices

fougere- the aforementioned Rive Gauche PH (although this could also fall into the category "office wear chypre") or Azzaro PH

florals- Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier, Fahrenheit 32 by Dior or Dior Homme (although the latter one is an experimental, spicy-suede gourmand with floral touches) are only some of the good examples for this category

timeless chypre- Aramis Classic, the more expensive, but also exclusive Blenheim Bouquet, Monsieur de Givenchy, Boucheron PH, Versace L'Homme, Polo, Gucci Nobile and YSL PH (also in the Concentree version)

gourmand- Gucci Envy for Men, Rochas Man, Burberry London for Men, Very Irrestible by Givenchy and even more linear frags with a rather "classic" status, like Zino Davidoff or Escada PH contain, up to a point, several gourmand notes

this suggestions are, however, far from being complete and I can only suggest testing, testing and again testing, sampling, sampling and again sampling, way beyond the fragrance categories and the fragrance brands within this thread
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 28th December 2009 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks Ken.....

I see your missing a major Amber scent for which I would happily suggest Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire, Blue Amber by Montale or Ambre Precieux by Maitre Parfumuer at Gantier.

Oriental: Chergui by Serge Lutens

floral/incense: 88 by Czech and Speake, Black Aoud by Montale

If your willing to save then go for Jubilation 25 by Amouage, it is a fantastic boozy concoction with a nice frankincense drydown, you can't go wrong with this one.

BTW make sure you sample any scent before buying.
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 28th December 2009 at 05:38 PM.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir4 View Post
    I see your missing a major Amber scent for which I would happily suggest Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire, Blue Amber by Montale or Ambre Precieux by Maitre Parfumuer at Gantier.

Oriental: Chergui by Serge Lutens

floral/incense: 88 by Czech and Speake, Black Aoud by Montale

If your willing to save then go for Jubilation 25 by Amouage, it is a fantastic boozy concoction with a nice frankincense drydown, you can't go wrong with this one.

BTW make sure you sample any scent before buying.
    Superb suggestions. I'd like to throw in Ambre Sultan (Serge Lutens) and Ambre Fetiche (Annick Goutal) as well. They are 2 of the best amber scents I've experienced so far.

You're sort of light on "darker" scents...

If you've tried Anteus and like it, go for it. I'm sure the old formula was better, but it's not like the new one is so horrible it is to be avoided.

Ambre Sultan a good one to consider indeed.

I'm thinking Guerlain Veitver; it doesn't appear that you have anything like it.