Code of Conduct

Default Patch heavy Oriental, like Baiser du Dragon, but more masculine?

Hello all, thread number 3... the nose training continues...

I have mentioned before that I like an accord that is in a few of my wifes fragrances. I think I've worked out that it is not just Patchouli that I like. It is basenotes of Patchouli paired with Amber. So far, I have smelt this in a diverse bunch of fragrances:

Le Baiser du Dragon (obviously)
    Eau de Soir
    Lancome Hypnose Homme
    Guerlain L'Instant Homme Extreme
    VC&A Tsar (the latest reformulation)

I'm not saying these all smell alike, but I can smell this one accord in all of them that I really like.

I would very much like to get something as similar to BdD (not so me and my wife can have his and hers smells! Just because I just a bit addicted to this smell). I know some men on BN do wear Baiser du Dragon, but for me the amount of Jasmine in it means I personally cannot get away with it. So far from the others, I like the Hypnose most, but the missis does not, she thinks it smells cheap and nasty.

Anyone have any thoughts of a Patchouli + Amber fragrance I could try next? Nothing niche, I cannot try them without a trip into London. Doesn't have to be officially thought of as an Oriental, just needs the Patchouli and Amber to be the strongest part of the basenotes (stronger than the woods, oakmoss or vetiver that are usually there as well).

Here are things I am thinking of trying, after doing a search in the directory, let me know if I'm on the right track with any of these:

Intimately Beckham Night Men
    Diesel Zero Plus
    Lalique pour Homme
    Paco Rabanne 1 Million

And as a bit of a 'joker', I'm also going to try B*Men. Please dont suggest A*Men, I know it seems to fit the bill nicely, but its just too sweet even for me, and I have a really sweet tooth. The sweetness in it is like the sugar frosting you get on Kelloggs Frosties, its sort of 'stuck on' instead of blended in, if you know what I mean.

Cheers everyone, and Happy New Year, Andy

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Patch heavy Oriental, like Baiser du Dragon, but more masculine?

Have you tried Opium Pour Homme by YSL? The Eau de Parfum, is slightly better and deeper than the EdT. A few sprays is all you need. Also try Egoiste by Chanel. NOT Platinum Egoiste. Regular Egoiste. This is more of a candied fruit / sandalwood oriental, but I think it is in the same style at the Cartier.

Of course both of these need to be sampled first, as they don't smell just like Baiser du Dragon - which is a very unique patchouli / hazelnut accord. But they are close. Something very similar (but niche) is Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens.

Stetson
    Chaps
    Diesel Zero Plus
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 28th December 2009 at 05:03 PM.

I don't know why, but I've always associated Tiffany for Men with Biaser du Dragon (one of my favorite orientals!). I'm quite sensitive to patchouli (hate it in Coromandel, Borneo), but love it in BdD and Tiffany. Although it doesn't have a strong of a medicinal opening as BdD, Tiffany always manages to somehow feel full-bodied and a true oriental. The spices in Tiffany also have a similiar feeling to the hazelnut accord in BdD.

Bois 1920 Real Patchouly is a very nice amber-oriental patch.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Prada's original ("women's) dries down to patchouli, amber, and vanilla, with some minor florals from the top blended in there. It is very similar to the drydown of Coromandel, which of course is a lot more expensive. My guess is that you would really like the Prada, because the top is not all that feminine and the base seems like what you're looking for (at a decent price). The only thing is that there is no major spice aspect to it, so some may object to it being called an oriental frag.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 28th December 2009 at 07:08 PM.

Not sure about the amber, but for a very rich patch fragrance try Scents of Ireland's St. Patrick. It's got some green fern notes going on up top, but the patchouli is definitely the star here.
    Current Wardrobe (in no particular odor, HAHA!):

Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Silver Mountain Water, Creed Himalaya, Creed Tabarome, Aramis Havana, Bond No.9 Central Park, Trussardi Inside, Fahrenheit Absolute, Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme, Guerlain L'Instant Homme, David Beckham Signature, Cartier Declaration Essence, Azzaro Visit, Azzaro Silver-Black, Azzaro Pure Vetiver, Dunhill X-Centric, Perry Ellis Reserve, Armani Attitude, Armani Mania, Bvlgari Aqva, Jacomo Paradox Green, Canali Summer Night, Kouros Cologne Sport, Realm Men, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, St. Patrick, Cuba (Red, Green, Gold, Black, Grey, Brown, Maya), Opium Pour Homme EDP, Banana Republic Cordovan, Amouage Epic Man, J. Peterman 1902, Bogart City Tower.

Heavy Patchouli would be Trussardi , Bijan, and Bogart Pour Homme

Montale Patchouli leaves, heavy dose of amber and patch.

Forgot one from the list of things I'm thinking of trying....

Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men

Tiffany for Men sounds like a good call

I'm not going mad am I? You guys do understand the accord I am on about, right?
    Last edited by andym72; 28th December 2009 at 10:55 PM.

Last time I wore LBdD, over a year ago, I recall a woody amber more than a patchouli amber. Belle en Rykiel has a similar drydown, and since I had a bottle of it, I swapped off my LBdD for a bunch of decants (I liked the top notes of BeR more than LBdD).

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    .....Anyone have any thoughts of a Patchouli + Amber fragrance I could try next?....
    If you like Eau du Soir and Le Baiser du Dragon, you'll probably be happy with anything.

But seriously, just buy a bottle of Mazzolari Patchouli or Mazzolari Lui.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    If you like Eau du Soir and Le Baiser du Dragon, you'll probably be happy with anything.
    Touché!

try Parfum d`Habit by MPG, - it`s leather jacket on a Patchouli man!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Bois 1920 Real Patchouly is a very nice amber-oriental patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    Montale Patchouli leaves, heavy dose of amber and patch.
    +1 to both.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Might give a try to Baudelaire from Byredo or Nasomatto Black Afghano. Both are good - very masculine.

Aramis JHL
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    Nothing niche, I cannot try them without a trip into London.
    You should've made that part more noticeable.

If you do become interested in Bois 1920 Real Patchouly, I have a 95% full 100ml bottle (in original packaging) that I can sell to you for a good price and the postage would be minimal since were both in the UK.
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26128460.html -review.

You might have to take a punt with this one but it is a very nice scent.

PM me if your interested.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Definitely check out [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Estee Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude[/COLOR]. Horrific name--fabulous Tom Ford "directed" scent. It's spicy, but not as spicy as the original Youth Dew, it's definitely ambery, and it's got a touch of patch to bring out that accord you (and I love). Tiffany for men and original Prada are also great recommendations. I'd suggest trying Patou Sublime, but it also has the jasmine you are avoiding. Guerlain Heritage is more of a woody, patchouli-vanillic drydown, but you can't have amber without vanilla so give it a shot. And the best patchouli-blend bang for your buck, but not particularly ambery, is Zino Davidoff.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

I have to second the Aramis JHL recommendation. I received the re-formulation for Christmas and I can't seem to get enough of this one.
    It has the amber-patchouli mix common to Le Baiser du Dragon without feeling exactly the same.

If you're looking to be a little more daring I'd also second the recs of Tiffany for Men, and Zino Davidoff.

If you're really feeling like leaping before you look the Bois 1920 Real Patchouly is a great fragrance and maybe worth a blind buy.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Antaeusintheair View Post
    Definitely check out Estee Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude. Horrific name--fabulous Tom Ford "directed" scent. It's spicy, but not as spicy as the original Youth Dew, it's definitely ambery, and it's got a touch of patch to bring out that accord you (and I love).
    Great recommendation. I wore this last night, after a long absence - this stuff is just fantastic. Smells even better on a woman, but I can still rock it pretty well.