Code of Conduct

Default Winter scent or high school scent?

Hey I'm a 15 year old teenager and I'm in grade 10 in high school. I want to start wearing cologne; I think it would be a good addition for me but I don't know which ONE to pick (I am not buying more than one for now, but I am thinking of changing my scent each season, so I want a winter scent for now).

I was thinking of getting Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male, but I thought it was going to make too much of a statement in a high school setting. Or am I wrong? Could putting just the right amount make this baby work?

I then thought of getting Burberry's London, but I thought it would be too sophisticated for someone of my age. Another thing is does this fragrance not last long enough for school (7 hours)? Or am I wrong once again?

Please guys I need your help, as colognes do cost quite a lot for someone of my age, but yes I know they last a long time and they are worth it. The only reason I am saying they cost a lot is because I want to pick the best ONE or one of the best ones that would work for my occasion. Now, from looking at the basenotes reviews on some fragrances, I noticed that these two fragrances had almost no negative reviews. Are they good?

John Varvatos
    Burberry London

Please post, and please read the whole topic before posting, it would mean a great deal to me. Thanks.
    Last edited by Max_Yeah_True; 29th December 2009 at 01:16 PM.

Default Re: Winter scent or high school scent?

I am a Dean at a small progressive high school and I want to thank you for not wearing some awful cheap body spray or cologne...I wish more young men would take your lead on this one! So, the reason those two scents get mostly good reviews is because they are not offensive in anyway; they have that, "Yep, that is a man's cologne" smell. I think both Gucci men's scents (nice square bottles!) are better and more interesting without being too much for high school. As for price, if you have a TJ Maxx or Marshals near by, you should go there to purchase your cologne. TJ often has both Gucci scents as well as the Varvatos for much less. Good luck and thanks for setting a new standard.

Wow I really appreciate your post CruRab, thanks. But can anyone help me pick ONE cologne? Thanks guys.

Gucci Pour Homme II

Dependent

I am very sure many of us would like to pick one for you, as it is fun. But I also notice that this is something potentially huge for you and would not want to risk the disappointment you may face should you not like the choice in the end, as I am getting an impression you are planning to buy it unsniffed? Only you can decide what is your "Best" or favorite since taste is so personal and subjective.

If *I* had to choose one from the ones you mentioned, it would be Le Male, but even that is not bottle-worthy for *me*. I suggest sniffing around at a local fragrance counter, you may find yourself falling for something none of us have mentioned/suggested, one that you may not have previously considered.

^ +1.

I'd also like to add, don't trust too much in the Basenotes reviews. I'm not a big fan of John Varvatos or London, despite their good reviews. Conversely, I like several scents that are not well appreciated here, such as YSL L'Homme.

Speaking of which, YSL L'Homme might be something for you to check out.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Thanks for the replies once again guys, and yeah I just went to Pharmaprix to smell some fragrances on fragrance cards. OMFGGGGG THERE ARE SOO MANY IT IS SOOOOOOOOOO HARD TO CHOOSE. there. i let it out.

I agree with the above recommendations of:

Gucci Pour Homme II
    YSL L'Homme

And, if I may, I'd like to add another recommendation. Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior is a FANTASTIC alternative to the more vulgar (IMO) Le Male.

Style in Play by Lacoste, nice apple fruity scent that's great all year round and lasts.
    Le Male is a nice scent as well although very well known, you might have the same fragrance as others with this one which may not suits your purpose. After all being unique with a fragrance is important as people will remember you by your scent.
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 29th December 2009 at 05:29 PM.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Blog Entries

Max,

Matt gives some great advice. I would not recommend blind buying your first fragrance. I bought some early in my fragrance journey that I now regret.

You said you went and smelled some on cards. Can you give us a rundown of what you smelled, and of those what you liked and didn't. That would help to narrow down a type of fragrance to recommend to you.

EDIT: While waiting for you to post some likes and dislikes though, I will add that I'm going to stick by my recommendation of Bvlgari Aqva in another thread. It is extremely versatile. It smells great, and will likely offend noone. It will work in almost any setting (classroom, date, etc.) and any season (I wear it year round). You can keep the projection modest with one or two sprays (for the classroom), or make it stronger by adding a few more. And best of all its not going to break your wallet. There are many around here with large, costly wardrobes that still like this stuff. STILL, test it first though.
    Last edited by Tarheel Golfer; 29th December 2009 at 06:12 PM.

Hey guys umm well thanks for the replies and I smelled:

Aqua di gio
    Dolce and Gabbanne (I guess pH? thats all the woman wrote on the card)
    La nuit st laurent
    1 million paco rabanne
    burberry london
    jpg le male

gio was a nice fresh scent, but im not sure if its for this weather, or if people in my grade can identify it too easily, making me really boring.
    dolce and gabanna was a bit weird i dont know i didnt really like it.
    la nuit st laurent was pretty good.
    1 million had a very intriguing smell for me, i liked it.
    burberry london was very nice.
    im not liking le male as much as i used to.

Blog Entries

When you're down with your big ol' list of scents. Narrow it down to a handful you're willing to try and get samples for so you can give them a full wear. Decide from there. Paper can only tell you so much. I usually use paper to determine if I'd actually bother spraying it on myself.

L'Instant Pour Homme EDT was what I wore back then. Too gourmandy for my tastes now :T
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

CK Man is a great winter scent for a young man in high school. It lasts a whole day, is inexpensive, smells good, and is noticable without being annoying to others.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I'd stop asking/posting multiple threads about the same thing and just pick one - the opinions of people on some internet smelling forum aren't going to change what you like (at least, they shouldn't) - pick one that you like and wear it proudly. Problem solved.

+1

always always always always always always always always always always always always pick what you like.

follow your nose.

Quote Originally Posted by lucasd View Post
    I'd stop asking/posting multiple threads about the same thing and just pick one - the opinions of people on some internet smelling forum aren't going to change what you like (at least, they shouldn't) - pick one that you like and wear it proudly. Problem solved.
    +1!

Blog Entries

Ok Max,

For the most part, these guys are right. When it comes down to it, it's not going to matter one bit what we say on here. Find something you enjoy.

Here's my next suggestion for how to go about that though. It sounds like you are going to like the spicier scents, so that gives you a starting point. Out of the ones you smelled, it sounds like you liked London and 1 Million on the cards the best. Go back to that store, spray London on one wrist, and 1 Million on the other. Then leave the store. Don't buy yet. Wear those two for a day, and see how they develop on your skin. If you really like one of them, that may be your purchase. If you are still undecided after a day, go back and try them again (or sample something else).

I've made some purchase mistakes by just smelling them on the card, or buying after trying them on for just a few minutes. Hugo is an example for me. I really liked the top notes, and went ahead and bought it. I've come to really hate the middle and base notes, so I regret making that purchase on top notes alone. You need to wear a scent at least once fully (but a few times if possible) before you really know if it's right for you.

If you are only going to have one fragrance, and are worried about finding one that you really like, then don't rush it. Sample, sample, sample. And by that, I mean wear the one's you like for a day. It's likely you will find at least one that you "have to have". For me it was Aqva. I wore it one time and just knew I HAD to have it.

If neither London or 1 Million end up being THE ONE for you, then post back for more recommendations, or head over to Fragrantica and look at the spicy categories. Some scents are hard to categorize, so it isn't perfect, but they've done a decent job of grouping similar frags together this way. Here's the link: http://www.fragrantica.com/groups/. They have 1 Million as "Woody Spicy" and London as "Oriental Spicy".

Quote Originally Posted by lucasd View Post
    Leave the kid alone, if he wants to ask questions then let him.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Leave the kid alone, if he wants to ask questions then let him.
    Of course he can ask questions and I think we all are willing to help him, but he asks the same questions over and over again in multiple threads.

Blog Entries

I believe he's just trying to make some sense of this great big world of fragrances in order to narrow it down to ONE. Can you imagine trying do that when you are a total newbie? I think he's just trying to find the right way to ask the question(s) he thinks will get him to his solution. I don't mind helping him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokke View Post
    Of course he can ask questions and I think we all are willing to help him, but he asks the same questions over and over again in multiple threads.
    So?

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Yeah_True View Post
    Now, from looking at the basenotes reviews on some fragrances, I noticed that these two fragrances had almost no negative reviews. Are they good?

John Varvatos
    Burberry London

Please post, and please read the whole topic before posting, it would mean a great deal to me. Thanks.
    Both of these are pretty good choices in general. Personally, I like JV, but don't much care for anything by Burberry. Which notes in particular caught your attention?

Other recommended winter frags for high school . . . try Armani Code. It's sneered at sometimes around here as common, but I think it smells pretty darn amazing. Only reason I don't wear it is because my brother does, and we like to maintain a certain identity.

Emporio Armani Night is also very good, and far less common. In the same vein, Azzaro Silver-Black is good.

Oh, and I can't end the post without recommending that you try Cuba Red. Very cheap (can be found for $4 an ounce) and very good.

As with all quality fragrances, don't spray it on like you spray Axe. Everyone's got their style. I go one-half shot behind each ear, one to the chest, one to the abdomen, and one to the left wrist to be transferred to the other be dabbing (not rubbing). Sometimes if the frag is not particularly a strong one, I do a final spray from about arms length away and walk through it.
    Current Wardrobe (in no particular odor, HAHA!):

Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Silver Mountain Water, Creed Himalaya, Creed Tabarome, Aramis Havana, Bond No.9 Central Park, Trussardi Inside, Fahrenheit Absolute, Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme, Guerlain L'Instant Homme, David Beckham Signature, Cartier Declaration Essence, Azzaro Visit, Azzaro Silver-Black, Azzaro Pure Vetiver, Dunhill X-Centric, Perry Ellis Reserve, Armani Attitude, Armani Mania, Bvlgari Aqva, Jacomo Paradox Green, Canali Summer Night, Kouros Cologne Sport, Realm Men, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, St. Patrick, Cuba (Red, Green, Gold, Black, Grey, Brown, Maya), Opium Pour Homme EDP, Banana Republic Cordovan, Amouage Epic Man, J. Peterman 1902, Bogart City Tower.

Hey guys thanks for the replies, and yes I know I have been making a bit of topics but it's really a hard decision for me. I don't want to buy 50+ different colognes like you guys do haha. I just want like 10 at the most in the end when I'm finally done, but for now I just want 1.

I just went to the perfume counter to test Burberry London on me. I sprayed once on the front of the neck and once on my right wrist and touched it with my left wrist. So far the scent is really enjoyable, I just want to see how long it can last. My school is from 8:30 am to 3:00 pm. That's 6 hours and 30 minutes.

But yeah, do you guys think Burberry London is a safe bet for a beginner? And yeah hardly anyone in my grade wears cologne. Oh also, should I put 3 sprays instead of 2? Like one on each wrist and one on the front of the neck? Or just one on my right wrist, touch it together with my left wrist and one on the front of the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Yeah_True View Post
    Hey guys thanks for the replies, and yes I know I have been making a bit of topics but it's really a hard decision for me. I don't want to buy 50+ different colognes like you guys do haha. I just want like 10 at the most in the end when I'm finally done, but for now I just want 1.

I just went to the perfume counter to test Burberry London on me. I sprayed once on the front of the neck and once on my right wrist and touched it with my left wrist. So far the scent is really enjoyable, I just want to see how long it can last. My school is from 8:30 am to 3:00 pm. That's 6 hours and 30 minutes.

But yeah, do you guys think Burberry London is a safe bet for a beginner? And yeah hardly anyone in my grade wears cologne. Oh also, should I put 3 sprays instead of 2? Like one on each wrist and one on the front of the neck? Or just one on my right wrist, touch it together with my left wrist and one on the front of the neck.
    My friend lives and dies by London, I'm not a huge fan of it but it's a non-offensive scent so it would work well in a school or office. I personally do 4-5 sprays (one to each side of the chest and one to the back of the neck and one or both wrists).

kouros