Code of Conduct

Default Tobacco Vanille - Where did the tobacco go?

The first thing I smelled when I got a sample of TV was that fresh tobacco note. It was center stage and followed by a much more subtle vanilla note. In fact, that is what drove me to buying some. I have had a large decant for a few months now and I have stored it in a cool, dry place away from light. To my horror, I can no longer smell ANY tobacco, just a big ol' wiff of vanilla. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with this juice turning. Perhaps my nose is failing me...

Default Re: Tobacco Vanille - Where did the tobacco go?

This is a great topic for the bloodhounds. My experience with TV has only been with samples and it always smelled the same, like a pouch of vanilla pipe tobacco. I can say that olfactory perceptions do evolve over time and exposure. If you smell a synthetic version of something closely, eventually its resemblance to the thing it apes becomes less and less convincing. Eventually the synthetic version becomes a thing unto itself and looses its connection to its point of reference. This is something Commes des Garçons played with in the their Synthetic Series.
    Or as Alfred Korzybski states in his premise of General Semantics "The map is not the territory; the word is not the thing."
    And:
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 29th December 2009 at 06:28 PM.

It's there, you just need to re-tune your nose to it. The tobacco in it is the sweet pipe tobacco kind, not the acrid kind which is far easier to pinpoint in many other tobacco frags.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I smell a lit wax vanilla candle in Tobacco Vanille, with very little to no tobacco.

Actually, don't let the name or notes fool you: the actual aromachemicals responsible for the smell might have nothing to do with real life tobacco leafs. It's all about perception and interpretation. So it's open for debate.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 29th December 2009 at 03:53 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Sur la Plage

I definitely smell tobacco - it's wonderful.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have the same issue with TV. On me, all I get is a whole lot of vanilla with a bit of tobacco.

Regards,
    Steve

I really like TV; it's a nice balance of tobacco and vanilla. Not too much of either.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I definitely smell tobacco - it's wonderful.
    Same here!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

If we're lobbying Tom Ford to increase the amount of "Tobacco" in Tobacco vanille, send me the petition, as that and a more natural tonka/wood, in addition to the vanilla/tonka already in the base, would really send this scent into another league. But even as is, it's worth for me, and the only Tom Ford I could wear (I really really like Black Orchid on females)

On the balance of Tobacco/Vanille: On a test card or on clothing, the vanilla is too much for my tastes, but still alot of "pouched pipe tobacco", and perceptible spices...........on my skin, the slight spice totally dies, this scent becomes much more about tobacco, with tobacco getting a slightly stronger presence than vanilla. This and Eav Des Bavx are really the only Vanilla-dominant frags I can wear out of everything I've tested.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I don't know why but on my skin, I get a lot more tobacco than vanilla. Anyway, I find TV a little too linear to hold my interest for long...

Captcrunch, I figure you may need to put your TV on rotation with other frags... let your nose recalibrate or perhaps recuperate, lol. And avoid spraying your neck...

Ruggles makes a good point, "If you smell a synthetic version of something closely, eventually its resemblance to the thing it apes becomes less and less convincing." I think the absence of this to my nose, may have to do with the synthetic nature of the note. After recently acquiring Creed's Vintage Tabarome, I have been wearing it quite often (after all, the stuff is amazing ). It has a much more natural tobacco note. Perhaps this should be left to an entirely different thread, but does anyone have thoughts on our nose's perception of synthetics when it is regularly exposed to the same ingredient only natural. If this is what is happening in my case then I can see how, based on ones wardrobe, could alter the way some frags smell to you.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Good observation. When you get another similar scent of higher quality, it almost always render the old one redundant, smelling poorer in comparison. That might have happened in your case...

Ruggles really does make an excellent point. It's my favorite Ruggles post to date.
    There is also another side to this phenomena, one that applies to everyone besides those in a very close monogamous relationship. Being that the others you encounter are smelling it for the first time in a while, they will not fatigue of it and lose reference like someone who has worn it on their chest for a week str8. This is why i always strongly remember and reference my first impressions of scents.

But, since for me, this scent will be relegated to January and February, and even then, will be 3 times weekly @ most, the extremely well-made point is temporarily moot, when applied to my use of this particular scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    This is a great topic for the bloodhounds. My experience with TV has only been with samples and it always smelled the same, like a pouch of vanilla pipe tobacco. I can say that olfactory perceptions do evolve over time and exposure. If you smell a synthetic version of something closely, eventually its resemblance to the thing it apes becomes less and less convincing. Eventually the synthetic version becomes a thing unto itself and looses its connection to its point of reference. This is something Commes des Garçons played with in the their Synthetic Series.
    Or as Alfred Korzybski states in his premise of General Semantics "The map is not the territory; the word is not the thing."
    And: