Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Hoarding, The ONLY way to time travel in Fragrance.

The practice of hoarding is, in some cases, the only way to preserve beloved fragrances. I like to refer to the practice as conservancy, like protecting the future from the lunatic practices of an industry that thinks only of the profitability of fragrance and not the art. Then there is IFRA protecting us from ourselves. As some of you know, those fragrances that I have adoration for, most especially those I want to protect from reformulation and discontinuance I try to buy in quantity and refrigerate. Unfortunate that the practice is needed but, I feel it is. In the not too distant future I will be able to time travel to when fragrances were indeed fragrances of quality. The reason people seek out "vintage" fragrances IMO is because they find the times of their lives identified in memory with these bottles of art. I am simply anticipating the need to conserve my life memories for the future to experience again and again when others can no longer appreciate them. Time travel can be a sweet and olfactory experience. May your way be as pleasant.

Dependent

Default Re: Hoarding, The ONLY way to time travel in Fragrance.

Good on you N_Tesla, I've noticed from previous threads/posts that you made many good back up decisions. Sadly for myself, many of my backups are now on my want-to-offload list as I've made too many silly purchases - no idea what went through my mind! Only a small handful of scents I've backed up are discontinued or ones that I see myself potentially having a use for in future. *sigh*

Basenotes Institution

Matt and N_Tesla- I know both sides of the hoarding coin too ! I hoard and hoard and it costs a fortune- I will never finish all my hoarded stuff at this rate.
    Shall I bathe in my Opium vintage ?? - I am a silly woman .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

If the reformulation horrors that come to the fore are anything to take a cue from, then I think hoarding is a good thing.
    Ofcourse it costs a lot of money to hoard as you are pretty much spending money today for future consumption which leaves lesser money for current consumption and that hurts.

So you are getting hurt today in lieu of getting hurt tomorrow, when you run out of vintage fragrances.
    On paper it may seem that you are not gaining anything but I am sure that a time would come when
    we'd reap the rewards as a result of our hoarding.

As a member of one of the 'shaving' forums I can vouch for the benefits of hoarding.

Many fantastic razor blades have gone out of production, and many soaps have been reformulated into shadows of their former selves.

Now I have enough quality blades to last me 40 years and enough of my favourite soaps to last at least 20 years.

I am slowly swapping the less used fragrances in my collection for duplicates of my favourites.
    Last edited by joe mcclaine; 30th December 2009 at 07:40 AM.

if you read "what your nose knows" mr avery tells about how warhol hoarded perfumes cause he knew how stuff went out of production and felt a great history was being lost. what was really ingenious though is that he would only wear a specific fragrance for a limited period of time, then he would retire it to his museum. in this way he could return to very specific points in time via his smellies. he would have been very excited about the whole niche thing I'm sure.

That's a nice bit of info about Mr. Warhol, thanks! I haven't started hoarding yet in the sense that I'm not trying to get my hands on every bottle of vintage Guerlain I see. Obviously though, if you want to enjoy your current favourites for the rest of your life, you're going to have to take matters into your own hands and not rely on the industry.

P.S. N_Tesla thanks for inspiring me to wear Mitsouko today.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

"hoard [hɔːd]
    n
    1. an accumulated store hidden away for future use
    2. a cache of ancient coins, treasure, etc.

Then there is Pathological or compulsive hoarding, a specific type of behavior characterized by:

-.acquiring and failing to throw out a large number of items that would appear to have little or no value to others (e.g., papers, notes, flyers, newspapers, clothes)

-.severe cluttering of the person’s home so that it is no longer able to function as a viable living space

-.significant distress or impairment of work or social life

Randy Frost, a psychology professor at Smith College in Northampton, Mass., estimates that 2% to 3% of the population has OCD, and up to a third of those exhibit hoarding behavior (Cohen, 2004).

3-part definition of clinical hoarding :

-.The acquisition of, and failure to discard, a large number of possessions that appear to be useless or of limited value (Frost and Gross, 1993).
    -.Living spaces are cluttered enough that they can't be used for the activities for which they were designed (Frost and Hartl, 1996).
    -.Significant distress or impairment in functioning caused by the hoarding.
    Hoarding has three components:

1.Acquiring possessions compulsively - compulsive buying, or collecting free things.
    2.Saving all these possessions and never discarding.
    3.Not organizing and maintaining all the saved possessions.

People who hoard keep things for the same reasons as anyone else:

For sentimental value - emotional attachment or to remember an important life event.
    For utility value - the item is, or could be, useful.
    For aesthetic value - the item is considered to be attractive or beautiful."

So..are we hoarding (or clinically hoarding) by owning multiple bottles of the same or different fragrance any more than owning pieces of, say, limited edition numbered art prints because we enjoy looking at them and think they will either be more valuable or unavailable in the future or priced out of our range or future editions may not be as well done? Does owning more fragrance than one will ever be able to use qualify as hoarding anymore than buying and creating an overstocked larder or refrigerator/freezer which will eventually have to be cleared of some food past it's prime and eventually uneatable? Is owning more clothes than one can wear in a reasonable rotation hoarding?
    Last edited by kbe; 30th December 2009 at 01:53 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

If you must hoard, I think we need to be realistic and just hoard enough to last you a lifetime. But if you're hoarding to make a quick buck out of sales of vintage, that's not hoarding - that's investing/speculating.

I doubt if I'll ever hoard a fragrance. But I might keep a small sample for future references... or a quick trip down memory lane.

Btw, N_Tesla. Would you like to start a thread on some of the fragrances that seem hoard-worthy or in danger of reformulation?
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 30th December 2009 at 02:43 PM.

I wouldn't be wearing a helmet if I didn't already know that the bus driver was retarded.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Blog Entries

Diamondflame; Yes, I would and just tonight started a thread on the Fragrance Industry board. I hope all will help keep it current with posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    If you must hoard, I think we need to be realistic and just hoard enough to last you a lifetime. But if you're hoarding to make a quick buck out of sales of vintage, that's not hoarding - that's investing/speculating.

I doubt if I'll ever hoard a fragrance. But I might keep a small sample for future references... or a quick trip down memory lane.

Btw, N_Tesla. Would you like to start a thread on some of the fragrances that seem hoard-worthy or in danger of reformulation?

I hoard because of either fear of losing a beloved scent, or because if I like it so much and think it's a treasure, I may give one as a gift to a special someone (my taste for frag is unisex).
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Change is inexorable: reformulations or not, existence is marked by it. So, vintage perfumes let us get a whiff of how things were many years ago. In my system of beliefs, "dated" means the ability of a fragrance to take you to past times, which is good. In that sense, I must admit hoarding can be a blessing.

On the other hand, it also can be a nightmare, simply due to operative reasons.

I guess that, in accordance with what has already been said before and with whom I largely agree, hoarding, even in an initially random/compulsive/undiscriminating form, is at least regarding frags, beneficial and constructive in the long run. Because I think that almost unconsciously, at first unexpectedly, but eventually in a deliberate way, it helps and encourages developing a sense of value (from an awareness towards strictly commercial value, up to a more complex and rewarding perception of immaterial value and self-worth), an increased sense of fashion and a heightened receptiveness towards the finer things in life, an increased savvy and cost-efficient purchasing behavior (as paradoxical as it sounds, some luxury goods and collectibles are actually good investments, in both a financial more than financial sense of the word), actually, up to a point, even an improvement of several social skills and activities (that is, especially if one interacts mainly with Basenoters and various other fragrance connoisseurs) and so much more. That is, if these fragrance-related skills/ideals/abilities weren't already possessed by Basenoters, but even so, I guess that, if there is any room to improve them, hoarding frags may be, in spite of its possible setbacks and disadvantages, an important step in heightening them.