Code of Conduct

Default Parfumerie Generale Blind Buy--Aomassi 10, Cadjmere 08 or L'Ombre Fauve?

Although I rarely do blind buys, I'm seriously considering it in this instance since the only way to try out stuff by Parfumerie Generale is to buy those tiny microsamples from Luckyscent, which I find to be useless. I need some solid guidance here.

I'm wondering if Aomassi, Cadjmere and/or L'Ombre Fauve are worthy of a blind buy? Don't worry, I won't hold you personally responsible if I decide to get one and it doesn't work for me. I'm mostly interested in Aomassi since New Haarlem and Chergui are in my top 5.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

- Brad
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Default Re: Parfumerie Generale Blind Buy--Aomassi 10, Cadjmere 08 or L'Ombre Fauve?

L'Ombre Fauve, but I would suggest getting a 2.5mL spray vial from The Perfumed Court of all three and then making your decision.
    Last edited by surreality; 30th December 2009 at 05:36 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Blog Entries

Default Re: Parfumerie Generale Blind Buy--Aomassi 10, Cadjmere 08 or L'Ombre Fauve?

The only one I have tried of the three is Aomassai which, I really like. Slightly burnt caramel and licorice. Quite a few like this one based on an earlier thread I wrote on Aomassai.

Quote Originally Posted by CreedFan View Post
    buy those tiny microsamples from Luckyscent, which I find to be useless. I need some solid guidance here.
    Out of curiosity, why do you find samples useless? The Perfumed Court sells samples as well. I bought spray decants of a bunch of PG scents and it really didn't cost that much. I'm sure spray decants of the three scents you're interested in would be far from useless, no? Beats the very realistic possibility of wasting money on a blind buy mistake.

I sometimes get two LuckyScent samples and dump both into a cheap atomizer, for a decent wearing or two. Or, of course, there's the Perfumed Court.

I would agree that if you love New Haarlem, Aomassai is probably the best bet. Then Cadjmere, then L'Ombre Fauve. But I'd strongly advise sampling. If you don't want to spring for samples/decants of all three, you could just order a decant of the top candidate to make sure that you like it.

Anyone would be full bottle worthy.

If you like heavy gourmands and caramel then Aomassi. If you like Musc Ravageur, MKK or even Labdanum18 then LÓmbre Fauve. I've tried Cadjmere but don't remember it well enough to suggest. I highly recommend samples first though.

L'Ombre Fauve has got me hooked. It's basically a muted amber oriental with some serious animalic overtones. Not a gourmand at all. Parfumerie Generale's output amazes me, I've yet to smell a bad one.

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    Out of curiosity, why do you find samples useless? The Perfumed Court sells samples as well. I bought spray decants of a bunch of PG scents and it really didn't cost that much. I'm sure spray decants of the three scents you're interested in would be far from useless, no? Beats the very realistic possibility of wasting money on a blind buy mistake.
    Let me clarify. I am a big advocate of samples (I have a ton), but I find that the tiny samples from Luckyscent are too small, especially for the price with shipping. Perfumed Court offers flexibility regarding the size, but I think their prices are too high.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I might just bite the bullet and do a blind buy for Aomassai. I suppose I could always resell it if necessary.

P.S. I just noticed my embarrassing spelling error. It's "Aomassai", not "Aomassi".
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 30th December 2009 at 02:33 PM.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Aomassai > Cadjmere.

I was ready to do it but Aomassai is back-ordered on Luckyscent until late January! Maybe this is a sign from the fragrance gods that I should hold off and try to get a sample first...
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Let me just warn you, if you chose Aomassai, make sure to give it a full drydown, because the top notes are hardcore caramel, very realistic, and threw me, and quite a few others for a loop upon first try. In fact, I scrubbed it my first sampling, because I though the very idea of wearing something so heavy in caramel was disgusting. However, with the support of others tried it again, and about 30 min to an hour in the caramel switches places with the wood, and it becomes absolutely amazing. Just give it time and it's gorgeous.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 30th December 2009 at 02:41 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I've never tried L'O F so I can't add my thoughts on that one, but I don't advise a blind buy on Cadjmere. I own a bottle and still love it, but I find I wear it far less than I thought I would. My nose has picked out an odd rubbery note in there, slightly akin to that in Bulgari Black, but dirtier, sort of like worn rubber, and I find it gets annoying after a while. It's still wholly unique, smooth and sexy woods, but I really think you need to sample these first.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I've never tried L'O F so I can't add my thoughts on that one, but I don't advise a blind buy on Cadjmere. I own a bottle and still love it, but I find I wear it far less than I thought I would. My nose has picked out an odd rubbery note in there, slightly akin to that in Bulgari Black, but dirtier, sort of like worn rubber, and I find it gets annoying after a while. It's still wholly unique, smooth and sexy woods, but I really think you need to sample these first.
    Thanks for this info. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a rubbery note of any type. It's a total deal breaker for me.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

L'Ombre Fauve came across on me as having a realistic animal fur note. I found it to be a bit much for me. Definitely not blind buy material, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    L'Ombre Fauve has got me hooked. It's basically a muted amber oriental with some serious animalic overtones. Not a gourmand at all. Parfumerie Generale's output amazes me, I've yet to smell a bad one.
    Touche'.

I was blown away by L'Ombre Fauve when I first tried it -- I just had to have a bottle. Swoon worthy material for me, admittedly.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I agree with the few that recommend sampling first. I had very high hopes for this house but decided against a full bottle purchase after trying 10 of their titles. These are not for everyone. The particular use of the animalic notes including ambergris and pairing of unusual notes weren't very wearable for me.
    The more conventional titles just feature a lot of citrus, mint, tea, and vetiver; combinations of which I find executed more successfully (for my taste) elsewhere.
    RM

I really adored L'Ombre Fauve until my wife said I smelled like baby powder.....
    I think she prefers me to smell a bit more manly/skanky.....lol

I like most of the stuff from this house. L`Ombre Fauve smelles great, but it isn`t exactly my style. I will recommend you to try Cedre Sandaraque, which is a spicy woody gourmand scent. Delicious! It is also more masculine than the 3 you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I like most of the stuff from this house. L`Ombre Fauve smelles great, but it isn`t exactly my style. I will recommend you to try Cedre Sandaraque, which is a spicy woody gourmand scent. Delicious! It is also more masculine than the 3 you mention.
    I hadn't revisited this thread is quite a while, but I certainly appreciate your recommendation of Cedre Sandaraque. I was unfamiliar with this one and would love to try it (although I just bought another batch of samples from Luckyscent so it'll be a while until I can).
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Another for Aomassai here, absolutely beautiful. Also would recommend trying Coze, Cedre Sanderaque and L'Eau Guerriere. Cadjmere is just ok for me, but haven't tried LF.