Code of Conduct

Thread: Mmm, Antaeus

Default Mmm, Antaeus

Mmm, I am so glad I finally bought this. It smells so strong, elegant, and classy. So 80's, and definitely strong enough that even just one spray will do but two is just fine as a refresher.

The smell at initial spray is manly, hard to describe but dare I say smokey even though I doubt there's a smoke note to it? I'm no pro at describing note by note, but this is just what I personally think.

The dry down smells of leather with honey because of the beeswax note I'm sure, although you'll find different variations of its notes on basenotes.net and fragrantica.com. This one is definitely a gem, and for a blind buy I love it!

As mentioned it smells very elegant, not your typical modern kind of scent. Its smell brings images of 80's Corvettes, Camaros, guys with their collars popped up, and 80's lovers out on a late night romantic date out on the town. I definitely want more 80's scents! Smelling this is like a portal back to that era, and even though I was born in 1981 I somehow remember smelling similar "strong" scents like this as a kid so it's a nice hint of nostalgia. The power of scent is stronger than you think.

Default Re: Mmm, Antaeus

I was at Nieman Marcus last week. I never see Antaeus in department stores, and there it was. Anyway, upon seeing it, I used your exact words, "Mmm, Antaeus." The salesclerk then tried selling me Grey Vetiver!

Anataues is probably my favorite masculine fragrance EVER. It was the first designer scent I bought and wore it as a signature scent for years. It will remain a favorite indefinitely.

Post Thanks / Like

Mmm, Antaeus........ my first fragrance love! I was sixteen when it was released in 1981, Jacques Polgeīs first masterpiece for Chanel! A bit different today, but still a pleasure to wear and a great scent IMO. I always thought of it as a masculine version of Chanelīs war-horse No 5.
    Last edited by sables; 30th December 2009 at 10:35 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sables View Post
    Mmm, Antaeus........ my first fragrance love! I was sixteen when it was released in 1981, Jacques Polgeīs first masterpiece for Chanel! A bit different today, but still a pleasure to wear and a great scent IMO. I always thought of it as a masculine version of Chanelīs war-horse No 5.
    Hey sables, so for you the reformulation hasn't done severe harm at all? This would be nice to hear.

Post Thanks / Like

Love Antaeus. Unfortunately due to my constant new purchases and testing,
    I don't get to wear it a lot but whenever I do, it blooms on me.
    It's very masculine and luxurious.

Post Thanks / Like

Apart from being one of my fave scents, and thus being worn by me on a regular basis, this one even smells good even when most of my female acquaintances wear it. This is one of the few frags about whom I can truly sale that it makes both male and feale wearers smell so exquisitely classy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    Hey sables, so for you the reformulation hasn't done severe harm at all? This would be nice to hear.
    The reformulation is ok for me. Antaeus is not that strong anymore, has lost some sweetness and is now more transparent, but it is still recognizable and still has good lasting power and sillage!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The reformulation is ok for me. Antaeus is not that strong anymore, has lost some sweetness and is now more transparent, but it is still recognizable and still has good lasting power and sillage!
    Danke!

Pretty much guys, I thank all of you guys at basenotes.net and the website for leading me to Antaeus. It has truly made me want to look for more vintage gems as Antaeus so any recommendations for other 80's (or vintage) scents as yummy as Antaeus would be greatly appreciated.

To put Antaeus in short, if you want to smell like a real man Antaeus is what you'll want to be reaching for.

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought of it as a masculine version of Chanelīs war-horse No 5.
    I think that's a pretty good comparison. Never thought of that before!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

Tried Anteus 2 months ago, it's on my ˝must have list˝

I was lucky enough to catch it at fragrancenet for just a little over $40 with a 15 percent off coupon. A bottle of 50 ml that is, and even though I have only used just about 3 or 4 sprays I'm already scared of it running out! I like it that much, so for a blind buy I'm pretty captivated. It just smells so elegant, hard to describe but it just smells like something someone with class would wear. I just wish it didn't sell out so fast when it pops out on occasion at fragrancenet!

Post Thanks / Like

Classic. I love this one

Post Thanks / Like

For a perfume that has noticeably been modified since 1981, this one got a fairly good rating by Turin: 4 out of 5 stars. I also can confirm that it's still 'the same' fragrance. But men who knew at least one of the the early versions will miss the extra bit of sweetness it used to have. Maybe it's the same thing, but I would like to add that I miss the mellow flow of impressions most of all. The feeling of wearing soft gloves is gone when you apply the more recent versions of Antaeus, Tabac Blond and Bandit. Think of vegetalversus aniline dyes for wool used in oriental rugs.
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd January 2010 at 05:39 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Been dying to get a sample of it somehow. This thread reinforces my desire :P

Post Thanks / Like

Mario J's effusive praise made me sample this one...and it's great stuff.

It is quietly still available a lot of places. I got mine at Nieman, but indeed the SAs tend to push the "frag du jour." It's a very old product and as such it isn't actively "pushed" anymore via ads or in store promotions.

It's out there and must at least be sampled by BNers.

If you're a "power frag" fan, you need to stop reading now and go buy it.

Post Thanks / Like

Why are you still reading...GO!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm!!! Gaah! I wanna' Buy this puppy so bad!!

Cheers man!

I love the freaking colors that the bottle displays!

Also, I get the feeling of a hair band rock-star.
    Ie; Izzy Stradlin Wearing this frag back in the good
    ole' days!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket