Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Michael Storer fragrances.

I'm posting this for any of you who might be thinking of trying your hand at artisan perfumery. I ran across this doing a Google search a few months ago. Some of you know that all of my EDP's have met with various amounts of acclaim and that all enjoy a good reputation. But wouldn't you know, this sticks in my craw. This is part II. Part one was just as vitriolic and ripped my dead mother a new one because I named my fragrance Genvieve after her.

Michael Storer Perfume: An Individualist's Impressions, Part Two

Part Two begins with Yvette. Yvette is a dyed redhead with a drinking problem. One of those women who is well-preserved, well-groomed and permanently pickled. She's always looking for someone to join her in a drink. She likes dark sweet Manhattans. She thinks they go with her hair. She always eats the cherries. Sometimes does little tongue tricks with the stems, depending on who's watching. When you sit next to Yvette, you smell the booze on her breath, sweet and dark. She talks a lot, so you constantly get little puffs of that breath.

1_2

Then she opens her expensive leather purse and pulls out a lipstick and a compact. The odors of fine leather, lipstick and powder mingle with her sweet boozy breath as she talks and gestures. You watch her catch her eye in her mirror and quickly look away. She keeps talking, trying to distract you. You weren't supposed to see what you think you saw. You spend a few more minutes with Yvette, promise you'll call, and move on. Sweet sad boozy broads aren't your thing.

1_3

We move outside for Kadota. According to Storer, Kadota is a creamy, green fig delight. And I do smell fig, especially at first. It's a woody fig, rather than green, but it's definitely a fig. From a fig tree. Thing is, there's something very distracting in the picture. There's the fig tree, but sitting beneath it is a gorgeous brunet named Matt. He is waiting for me, smiling. It's quite warm, so he's taken off his shirt and is leaning against the tree in his undershirt and jeans. When I join him, I smell his clean salty perspiration. And his leather biker jacket, which he has sweetly made into a pillow for me. The smell of this man and his leather fill my nostrils. Fig tree? What fig tree? Kadota has become the smell of a man.

1_4

We flash back to the 1960s for Stephanie. Remember Marilyn from the sitcom The Munsters? Marilyn was the pretty blonde niece, the only "normal" looking one in a family of monsters. Suitors would get a look at her family and run for the hills. She thought it was because she was ugly. It never dawned on her that it was the company she kept. Stephanie is Marilyn. Wearing a gardenia. Pretty.

1_5

The last Storer scent I want to talk about is the one he created for Heather over at Memory and Desire. She asked niche perfumers to create scents inspired by a poem - a wonderful idea I hope she revisits every year. Storer made a perfume called Poem. Heather was kind enough to send me a sample of it. It actually arrived before my purchased samples did, so my first introduction to Storer's work was Poem, not the commercial scents. Here is what I told Heather I saw and smelled in Poem:

"rain-soaked cement. a wide grey sidewalk just after a rain. both the raw and the cured sidewalk. raw wet cement is hard wet concrete. powdered stone smells sweet.

the sidewalk is in a big city with deep history. maybe paris. maybe toulouse. sopping-wet blossoms line the grey sidewalk. they are white and pink and droopy with raindrops. they are summer flowers but there is a chill in the air.

fast-moving clouds block the sun. men in black suits brush by the wet flowers. the flowers shower them. no women. just men. all in black. black wool. wet stone. wet flowers. wet men. close by someone is sipping pernod."

While I probably won't wear his scents, I do appreciate the fact that they were able to take me on interesting journeys. They each had a story to tell and they are anything but milquetoast. For those reasons alone, Storer's perfumes are worth sniffing. I'll be curious to hear your reactions to them - I guarantee you'll have them. Michael Storer's web site.

Posted at 01:44 AM | Permalink
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com

Default Re: Michael Storer fragrances.

I'm sorry, but if this is the worst criticism your work gets then you are a lucky man.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I sort of feel the same way as the person who wrote the review you originally quoted. The fragrances themselves don't particularly fit my sense of style and how I'd want to smell, but as for the sake of artistry of scent, they are all very interesting and incredibly unique. They belong in a fragrance museum rather than on my skin. I can tell Mr. Storer is extremely passionate about his art, and it stands to reason that he's ahead of his time. Djin blew me away, and in a private message conversation with Mr. Storer, I was surprised to find that he agreed with me that it seemed like a "futuristic" fragrance for some reason.

I think the best way to experience the artistry of this man's fragrances would be via a small sampler set. I could see this selling better than large, individual bottles of fragrance. Definitely not saying that they are not wearable, I just don't see anyone rocking out Monk or Winter Star or Djin as their everyday scent. This stuff is seriously exotic!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by mastorer View Post
    While I probably won't wear his scents, I do appreciate the fact that they were able to take me on interesting journeys. They each had a story to tell and they are anything but milquetoast. For those reasons alone, Storer's perfumes are worth sniffing. I'll be curious to hear your reactions to them - I guarantee you'll have them. Michael Storer's web site.

Posted at 01:44 AM | Permalink
    Whilst I can certainly see why you might take umbrage at the general tone of the piece, I do see some positives in the critique. The last paragraph certainly makes it clear that despite his personal misgivings, he clearly feels that there is a great deal of originality in your work. Anyone not already familiar with your products would certainly be intrigued to find out more.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post
    Whilst I can certainly see why you might take umbrage at the general tone of the piece, I do see some positives in the critique. The last paragraph certainly makes it clear that despite his personal misgivings, he clearly feels that there is a great deal of originality in your work. Anyone not already familiar with your products would certainly be intrigued to find out more.
    Agreed. Michael - I posted a fairly detailed response to this same post on your BN blog (awaiting moderation). Looking forward to your thoughts.

Scentronic - I'm interested in Winter Star, particularly after reading about the components. What is your description of it? It sounds like an excellent strong woody scent with musk aspects.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

I agree. I read nothing even remotely approaching vitriolic, and saw nothing negative in the writer's approach. The whole thing seemed playful and fanciful to me. The writer is obviously painting word pictures and giving impressions of the scents rather than trying to describe them objectively. The writer made them all sound interesting to me.

I don't really understand what you objected to, Michael. Perhaps the writer's impressions of your creations clashed with you own, or perhaps you thought they weren't being taken seriously enough. But perfumes are like literature or painting. Each person is going to perceive them differently and take different things from them. The very fact that we perceived the writer's reviews differently shows that.
    I think I would be pleased with these reviews even though I may not agree with them. I just don't get the negative angle at all.

noggs

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    I'm sorry, but if this is the worst criticism your work gets then you are a lucky man.
    Currently wearing: Private Label by Jovoy

Seems like a positive to slightly lukewarm review to me.. agreed with the previous poster, no vitriol to be found.

The person was clearly trying to be humorous, with varying degrees of success. Just keep at it; develop your artistic vision as you see fit. I have to admit that while I find such commentary of little use to me in deciding upon which frags to sample, I do find them funny sometimes, regardless of how inaccurate they may be. Remember the old saying, "there's no such thing as bad publicity." LOL.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 31st December 2009 at 05:32 AM.

If the descriptions are reasonably close to the impression the fragrances give, Kadota and Poem sound like they would be good to sample.

I don't find anything particularly caustic about these comments, Michael.
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................................
    Feb 2012 - I requested my account be deleted. Remember, be friendly to many, but friends with few.

Basenotes Institution

If anything, the description of Kadota really makes me want to try it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    [...] develop your artistic vision [...]
    Personally, I see no point to this thread and suggest that Mr. Storer develop thicker skin.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Could this not have perhaps, been the motivation behind Mr Storer's post?
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................................
    Feb 2012 - I requested my account be deleted. Remember, be friendly to many, but friends with few.

When people send things out into the world, why are they surprised some people don't like them? Were the fragrances created with the impression that everyone should like them?

In the same vein, I wonder if mr. Storer is also stunned when someone actually does like one of his fragrances.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 31st December 2009 at 02:43 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Blog Entries

Thanks, noggs, as well as you others. It's helpful as well as refreshing to get different angles on my own interpretation of the review. I guess it's common for creators to be overly sensitive and to see things as negatives where they perhaps aren't really that scathing. I know that it's a weakness of mine as too much of a perfectionist to see things as insulting where it isn't the case. Thanks for setting me back on track. Objectivity is difficult when it comes to one's own "children"... Thank you, too, surreality, for reminding me that I am indeed "lucky".
    I still don't quite understand the concept that my fragrances are a "bit out there" for everyday use. I wonder if EDP strength is perhaps too strong for many... People are so used to commercial conformity and sameness... I'm always in a quandary about juice strength... Thanks again, Michael.
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com

Blog Entries

Here we go again?

I still don't quite understand the concept that my fragrances are a "bit out there" for everyday use. I wonder if EDP strength is perhaps too strong for many... People are so used to commercial conformity and sameness... I'm always in a quandary about juice strength... Thanks again, Michael.
    Hi Michael, always glad to see one of your posts.

The EDP strength of your fragrances is a plus as far as I am concerned - not a problem at all.

Winter Star is one of my top ten fragrances (98th percentile). I don't think I would like it nearly as well if it were weakened.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 31st December 2009 at 03:16 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I agree that this part 2 review of Michael Storer's scents is not that negative or objectionable. I see little vitriol in this review. BUT, there is plenty of vitriolic comment in the part 1. series of this same blog. Michael's reaction may be left over from the part 1. on Scent Signals. Here's the link: http://www.scentsignals.com/scentsig...el-storer.html

After reading Part 1. of this same blog, I can see how Michael might be justified in wanting to kick the review under the rug. I disagree with the reviewers glib negativity towards Michael Storer's fragrances in this blog. The only MS fragrance I own is Monk, and although it can not work as an everyday scent, it is definitely a work of art. Like many works of art, Michael has pushed the boundaries with Monk and when you leave tradition to explore new combinations the door is left wide open for critique. I like it, but find it hard to wear often. I suspect that Michael's fragrances are love or hate types of fragrances. He doesn't straddle the safe middle road for sure.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 31st December 2009 at 04:23 PM.

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

Dear Michael, this is the composite image I've posted at the top of my wardrobe page. This tells you what kind of league I put you in.

You may be right about your compositions being distinctive and intense. I wouldn't wear Stephanie (I have the parfum strength) day after day, however, I could open and sniff that bottle every single morning and get that OMG eyes-rolled-up-into-the-back-of-my-head sensation every single time. That's art.
    Currently wearing: Rose Flash by Tauerville

I've never experienced any of Michael Storer's fragrances to date, but I will soon receive a decant of Winter Star that a fellow Basenoter was kind enough to offer me. Personally, I admire Michael's passion for his art.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

If it helps, I prefer the strongest possible frag, so that I can then dilute it (with cheap vodka) and save some money! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I agree and I have a sample that I didn't care much for the first time I tested it!

Nothing new to add to the discussion other than to add my agreeing voice to the numerous above me. If I had created those fragrances, this is exactly the type of review that would have thrilled me. Clearly what you made has stirred something in the reviewer, enough so to cause them write such a poetic review of them. I can't possibly see what is bothering you in the posted review, I think you need to lighten up.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Objectivity is difficult when it comes to one's own "children"...

This is true, there is nothing like spending a huge amount of time working for something and then having it ripped to shreds in a matter of minutes; that is the worst (and best) part of presenting papers. One reads and writes, drafts and re-drafts, and refines one's arguments only to have a commentator come along and try to convince the audience of flaws, inadequacies and/or problems in the argument's logic in a paper that has become part of you.
    Last edited by surreality; 31st December 2009 at 10:09 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Peronsally, I believe that people are welcome to review fragrances as they deem fit. If an individual releases a mean, ill-spirited and spiteful review, it does nothing but make its creater look less credible and professional. If you create something (like fragrance) that is to be consumed by the general public (albeit a very targeted group in this case) accolades and panning are all part of the territory. If someone found a particular fragrance to be awful, I'd like to hear a detailed, professional, well constructed review indicating so. I am sorry if some of the commentary hit close to home and offended, but that's not something an objective reviewer has to keep in mind. In the case of this particular post, I don't really find anything overly scathing in the quoted content.

In addition, in regards to the comments of Mr. Storer, indicating that the fragrances 'all enjoy a good reputation' is completely subjective in relation to context. For example, if basenotes is my current form of reference, several Storer fragrances are quite well regarded and others have been very poorly received. This is ok. Especially if your goal is to create scents that do not abide by mainstream interest. I'd rather evoke a strong reaction, be it positive or negative... than none at all.

This reply is not an attempt to insult Storer fragrance in any way since I have not sampled a majority of them. I just felt the need to add a comment or two.

kim

hi, guys. first, i'd like to thank all of you for seeing my reviews in the light in which they were intended. the scents did indeed conjure some interesting images, which is why i wrote about them, even though i wouldn't wear them. but i feel the need to correct one thing michael said in his initial post.

michael, i never said a word about your mother. i wrote about the impression your perfume gave me. i would never do what you said i did. where you get that idea is beyond me.

here is what i actually said about the perfume "Genvieve": "Undaunted, I moved on to Genvieve. Inspired by Storer's mother, Genvieve is billed as sophisticated and chic. That is, except on my skin, where Genvieve is a rambling wreck. Smelling it, I have an impression of a woman trying to hold it together but losing it. She can't control her angst and fear. She talks the ears off of anyone who comes close, just to feel less alone.

The scent makes me feel sad. Genvieve presents a champagne and roses facade to the world. But it's just a thick coat of makeup - over something dark and unhappy. The makeup quickly cracks to reveal a canker at the heart of a rose. I wanted to find it happier and prettier, especially because Storer made it with his mother in mind. But all I found in Genvieve was sadness."

a couple of suggested resolutions for 2010:

improve your reading comprehension
    grow a thicker skin

michael, i do wish you a happy, successful new year, despite your stunning misinterpretation of my reviews and the email you sent yesterday.

go be inspired, creative and wonderful, michael!

cheers,
    minette
    Last edited by minette; 1st January 2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: i'm too nice

Dependent

I personally do not think criticism received over the Internet can be put in the same category as criticism received over a dinner table. Without referring to minette specifically, whose commentary seems relatively mild, I think the Internet is full of lonely people who do nothing with their spare time but choke their chicken and hit the Return Key all day long. If one combines the frustration that must create with the anonymity afforded by an Ethernet connection, it's a breeding ground for improperly motivated criticism.

So I wouldn't pay any attention at all to criticism received over the Internet. Just do your best, put your wares out there, and rise to a level of arrogance where you don't give a sh*t what people think. And by the way, stronger fragrances are better fragrances.

And by the way, stronger fragrances are better fragrances.
    'Louder music is better music'

Um... nope. Depends on the music.

I'm posting this for any of you who might be thinking of trying your hand at artisan perfumery.
    Okay, so to recap / bottom line: if you create something and show it to the world, some people might not like it, and actually express their opinion about it.

*silence*

*insightful*
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 2nd January 2010 at 02:14 AM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I agree, astaroth. And I will put in a good word for minette, too. Her reviews were quite honest, which is refreshing in this highly spun world of fragrance, with all its quasi-marketing and easy-going reviews (the latter of which I myself am quite guilty of, since I don't review what I don't like).

I, personally, found one of the "page 1" fragrances horrifying. Well, you play art games with powerful stuff, and that happens. I also found Stephanie beautifully mesmerizing. This is what I hope for when I enter an art museum. I can walk into Macy's or a news stand if I want less memorable stuff. From what I can remember, minette came very close to my own experience, except that I was much more moved by Stephanie. And, minette expressed what she thought in a nicely literary fashion. Extra points.

Michael - if you're watching, could I ask you why you chose the name "Stephanie" for that scent? I always felt that the scent suffered for not having a more evocative name. Winter Star is a much more attractive name, IMO - and certainly from a marketing standpoint. And I tend to believe that, in Tauer's case, the unwearable Lonestar Memories benefitted by a great name (which Prince Barry actually came up with).
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Dependent

I forgot to mention that how Michael approaches this subject depends heavily upon whether he wants to "break the bank" with his fragrances or if he is creating for the purpose of simple artistic expression. If the former, paying attention to the marketplace is obviously more important. If the latter, he should just cut loose and do whatever makes him happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    And by the way, stronger fragrances are better fragrances.
    'Louder music is better music'

Um... nope. Depends on the music.
    The analogy doesn't quite work. Loud music describes the music just before one hears it, and after all attempts to manipulate it. Strong fragrance describes the fragrance in the bottle. It provides the option of applying either more or less, depending upon what the wearer wants. More flexibility is always a good thing in my book. It also means the bottle will probably last longer, and a smaller percentage of the purchase price will go into the packaging than into the juice itself.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 2nd January 2010 at 03:50 AM.