Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default SotD Thursday 31st December 2009: New Years Eve

Here's hoping the last day of 2009 brings you lots of joy! Best wishes for 2010.

All dressed up and in Penhaligon's Amaranthine.
    Last edited by Candy Perfume Boy; 31st December 2009 at 10:27 AM.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Default Re: SotD Thursday 31st December 2009: New Years Eve

What a lovely picture libertine. I will be rather casual but I hope to get a good smelling joyful New Years Eve. We are going to the theatre to wach a farce this afternoon and my fragrance is Hasu-no-Hana from Grossmith. Best wishes to all Basenoters!

Still in my pj's and still unscented... Black ORchid or Black ORchid Voile de Fleur? Or any other suggestion? I want it to be festive with loads of sillage...

Chergui on this icy cold day.

Happy New Year!

A Musc Ravageur day!

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Zara Ambar.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Wearing ELd'O's Noel au Balcon for the first time today. It's a decant and I already love it so much I'm going to have to find a FB.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Starting the last day of the decade in Montana Parfum d'Homme
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Ending the last day of the year with Patrick Dempsey's Unscripted.
    Wishlist is pointless.

Just HAVE to bubble over with love and gratitude for my BN friends....got a loverly big bulky pkge. last evening from *Dora* who - out of THE BLUE - offered up some Broadway Nite cuz Id been wingeing about how my decant was gone. But, my dears, not JUST a huge decant of BN but five, count' em,
    lovely cousins... including this ayem's
    Park Avenue.

This is an "Oh Boy" frag for me - a cloud of lovely mimosa (more full blown than SummerbyKenzo) with a drift of my much-beloved paper whites. It dries down to a sort of Lipton's over camomile. If it continues to wear like this it's gonna go on the lust list.

Neither one of these Bonds have much of a fan club (tha's OK...more for ME!!) but both work well on my skin in this climate and - in the case of BN, anyway - have friends and strangers demanding to know WHAT that heavenly smell is!!

Saving up Broadway Nite for tonight's festivities.....thankyouthankyouthankyou darling *Dora*!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 31st December 2009 at 12:21 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

So far, I'm preparing this evening's festivities in Sira des Indes (Patou) bodylotion and will follow with the perfume before I leave the house.

Baldufita, I think you should go with Black Orchid. That's my favourite of the two.

Have a great evening and night all, whatever you're doing!

Yay, Taolady! Yay, Dora! I love Basenoters.

I'm wearing a spritz of Shalimar edc this morning on my wrists. I'm not sure what I'll wear later. We're planning to stay home tonight. I have a bottle of Champagne in the fridge so we can toast in the New Year while watching the ball drop on TV.

I'm wishing everybody on Basenotes a happy, blessed, healthy, prosperous 2010 (that number just amazes me). You are a community of lovely, kind, generous, intelligent, humorous people, and I am so glad to have made your acquaintance, and I thank you for everything I've learned here about fragrance and any other number of topics.

Many blessings to you all in the New Year!

Lilybelle

Let's end this year in beauty. Great picture Libertine!

Lalique extrait

Bottle: limited edition 1994 'Les Muses' created by Marie-Claude Lalique
    Fragrance: created by Sophia Grojsman in 1992 and first released in the Chèvrefeuille flacon.
    This perfume is now sadly discontinued.

Top note : Gardenia, Backcurrant, Mandarin
    Middle note : Orange blossom, Ylang-Ylang, Magnolia, Rose, Peony
    Base note : Mysore sandalwood, Cedar, Oak moss, Vanilla, Amber

A stunning fragrance in one of the most beautiful Lalique bottles, fitting for the end of a year.

I am wishing you all a wonderful New Year's Eve and may 2010 bring you
    health, joy and friendship.

Last edited by Riannon; 31st December 2009 at 12:56 PM.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

The beauteous Guerlain Plus Que Jamais and I have embarked on a passionate love affair. Let's see if the the spark stays alive. I almost regret sniffing this one....

Happy New Year to everyone! Scented wishes & blessings to all xoxo

ps- Libertine! Your love of Amaranthine and now that photo are very convincing! I think I must try this!! Just a gorgeous image.
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 31st December 2009 at 01:01 PM.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

I am at work today in Havana Vanille, easily my favorite purchase of 2009. But wait...and then there is....

I finally chose Black Orchid... Seemed more festive and the sillage is to die for... I'll choose something more "timide" for tomorrow and the 2nd (when we will be celebrating NY... )...

Joining Baldufita in Black Orchid.....but for tonight?? Quite possibly Miroir des Envies. Happy New Year everyone!!
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Basenotes Institution

Have a fabulous new Year's Eve !
    Doused in Mitsouko extrait and EDP !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Happy End of Oughts Day everyone!

I will be ringing in the New Year with Amouage Epic.

Deni
    life dithyrambic
    dithyrambic a. Pertaining to, or resembling, a dithyramb; wild and boisterous. «Dithyrambic sallies.» Longfellow. -- n. A dithyrambic poem; a dithyramb. A frenzied, impassioned choric hymn and dance of ancient Greece in honor of Dionysus. 2. wildly enthusiastic speech or piece of writing. Life Dithyrambic n. Writing passionately about Motherhood, Adoption, Illegitimacy, Technology, Science, Pop Culture, Ecology, Film, Art, the Religious-right, and Perfume (not necessarily in that order.)

Thought I'd read along this thread for some inspiration before deciding on SOTD...but you all are wearing my faves and making it more difficult to decide! Musc Ravageur, Sira des Indes, Mitsouko, Black Orchid VDF, Shalimar, Havana Vanille ~ Good Grief!
    Maybe some Chanel...yes, definitely Chanel...31 Rue Cambon! Happy New Year!

Haven't Worn It In A While

bleu autumn haze

I've been sick for several days and not wearing any fragrance. Feeling better now, I'm venturing out to do some errands and shopping while wearing Etro Heliotrope.

I think I might wear Ambre Sultan for tonight's festivities.

Please everyone, have a safe and fun New Years Eve.

I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Plus

Shannon, I'm sorry you haven't been well but am glad to know you're doing better now.
    3xasif, I know exactly what you mean about Plus que Jamais, it's just so darned beautiful.

Scent twins with Lilybelle in Shalimar, parfum for me.

Take care, everyone.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Happy New Year all!! Not sure what I'm gonna do today....Invited to a party,but also feel like staying in with the bf...Sotd is Dolce Vita.Felt just right for today Enjoy your day all!!!

Eau de Vétyver (1977)
    by Le Jardin Retrouvé
    Notes
    Bergamot,Amalfi Lemon,Tobacco,Vetyver,Woodsy Notes

Thumbs up Re: SotD Thursday 31st December 2009: New Years Eve

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

Yann Vasnier's

L' HOMME SAGE

Parfums DIVINE

Top Notes
    Mandarin Orange, Saffron, Cardamom, Litchi
    Middle Notes
    Patchouli.
    Base Notes
    Amber, Vanilla, Incense, Oakmoss.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Institution

I spent the morning decant various things here and there, and I smell like a whole bunch of stuff...the one that stands out the most prominently is:

Putains des Palaces by Etat Libre d' Orange (from a sample - thanks ubuandibme)

Two words: Face powder. Lot's of it. Not sure I can comfortably wear this one.

Later on tonight it will most likely be what I reach for every new year. Orris by Andy Tauer.

Today I'm wearing 1000.
    Tonight I'll wear Black Orchid.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Sharing the Exclusifs collection with Ubu, I'm wearing Bel Respiro to go a-vacuuming for the last time in 2009.
    This song describes you, my adorable BNers. You all deserve a fab 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Sharing the Exclusifs collection with Ubu, I'm wearing Bel Respiro to go a-vacuuming for the last time in 2009.
    This song describes you, my adorable BNers. You all deserve a fab 2010.
    Loved that! ♥ ♥ ♥ So adorable! I do love doggies. Thank you, Quarry, and right back at you. Happy New Year to you and yours.

Happy New Year, sweet BN friends! Today is a big day for me, as my husband and I celebrate our 25th anniversary! I will be wearing the beautiful Une Rose by Frederic Malle. Can't imagine a more romantic fragrance.

Last edited by Haunani; 31st December 2009 at 05:21 PM.

Thought I would be luxurious today in Homage Attar. Wow, I smell like royalty!
    Quarry, I will be a queen with you today!

Shannon, hope you are feeling better!!! ((HUGS))

Everyone stay safe tonight! I'll have my grandsons for the next couple of days, so we will be partying like 4 & 6 year olds at my house! Lots of cheetos and chocolate milk to go with videos and playdoh.

Big sloppy hugs to everyone!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Today I'm trying my sample of DK Black Cashmere. Seems like a little bit goes a long way. Tonight? Not sure yet.

Happy New Year!
    Best wishes for a healthy and fragrant 2010.

I think I will be wearing Fille en Aiguilles today, since it was my first choice for Christmas Eve, until Wazamba was right in front of me.

I woke up sneezing and coughing, not a good think when our Christmas vacation is almost over.

Have fun tonight!
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

Guerlain-Sous Les Vent

Notes: bergamot, basil, lavender, carnation
    Heart: jasmine, cinnamon, clove, iris
    Base; Wood- (cedar or teak?), oakmoss, patchouli

Last edited by kumquat; 31st December 2009 at 07:14 PM.

Happy New Year!

La Haie Fleurie, for the morning and now, almost ready for the New Year's Eve dinner, I am wearing Dior Addict.

Sur la Plage

My SOTE is Tom Ford Black Orchid EDP.

Notes include Bergamot, Citrus, Mandarin, Black Gardenia, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Lotus Wood, Orchid, Spicy Floral Accord, Orchid (Tom Ford Black Accord), Patchouli, Sandalwood, Incense and Vanilla.

Last edited by petruccijc; 31st December 2009 at 07:49 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

L'Oiseau de Nuit today. I want to wish everyone at Basenotes a very happy, and very blessed, New Year. I am so glad I am part of this community. XXXOOO

Aimez Moi ... then maybe Samsara later tonight.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Happy New Year, sweet BN friends! Today is a big day for me, as my husband and I celebrate our 25th anniversary! I will be wearing the beautiful Une Rose by Frederic Malle. Can't imagine a more romantic fragrance.

Haunani ! A Very Happy Wedding Anniversary ! Many more to come !

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Happy anniversary, Haunani!!! Here's to 50 more in wedded bliss!!!

Today I'm reveling in the season and anticipating our New Year's Day party in Neil Morris Fragrances Dark Season.

Dark Season notes: Cinnamon, fir, patchouli, dark vanilla, labdanum, oakmoss, myrrh.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Happy Anniversary !

Happy New Year and New Decade to all you fine folk !

For all those with colds, pains, Weltschmerz-
    My love and blessings-
    Along w/ the chicken soup on the stove for my Isaac...

Stuffed artichokes steaming, Jub 25 + Habanita for me...

Feel blessed, and be loved !

Happy Silver Wedding Anniversary to Haunani and her husband!! I hope you have a joyous evening, and a very Happy New Year.

I think I'm leaning toward vintage My Sin this evening. I haven't been wearing the oldies lately, and this one is calling my name.

Happy Anniversary to Haunani and the Mister, 25 is a big number!

Happy New Year's to the rest of the gang!

I have been enjoying a little downtime and so haven't felt in the mood to post a lot. No worries I'll be my long-winded self again once 2010 finally arrives.

Tonight we are heading out to a friend's house to ring in the New Year.

I am wearing one of my revelations of the Holiday Season.

Aramis JHL

Every once in awhile you see a thread pop-up which asks a variation on this question; "Now that you know more about fragrance what scent has gotten better upon further review?" Until recently I hadn't had an eye-opening experience that made me really feel like I could answer that question. Now I have. I received all of the Aramis Gentleman's Collection as a present and I thought I was intimately familiar with all of the six fragrances within that collection. When I finally sprayed on JHL I was shocked to find it wasn't anything like what I remembered. It was incredible on me and I was wondering if they had re-formulated it or done something to tweak it. My old bottle has long gone away and so I had to ask a friend to send me a sample of his vintage bottle. I wore them side-by-side and there was no appreciable difference. This means the difference in perception begins with me.

Aramis JHL has a number of stories around its creation. the most recognized and accepted is that Estee Lauder designed JHL for her husband Joseph and the name, JHL, are his initials. The more cynical amongst colognoisseurs say this is a masculine version of Youth Dew or Cinnabar. If you smell JHL next to either of those the resemblance is clear but JHL is also different than either of those fragrances. What I've found is a cold-waether piece of perfumery that just sings on my skin.

The top of JHL begins in an almost pedestrian fashion as the classic citrus and bergamot notes arrive but underneath is this lightly spicy peppery note which paves the way for the explosion in the heart. JHL's heart beats on a triptych of carnation, rose, and cinnamon. The interplay of the clove-like aspect of carnation with the spicier aspects of rose all interpsersed with a dusting of cinnamon is amazing. What makes it even more amazing is over a good long while, a balsam pine note arrives adding a resinous heft to the original trio of notes and then JHL rests in this phase for a long time and it is perfect on me. Very gradually over hours the basenotes of labdanum, patchouli and sandalwood all enter the play and each accentuates different aspects of the heart notes magnificently.

JHL has super longevity and way above average sillage. This is one you need to keep a lighter finger on the atomizer for.

I am beginning to believe that this re-release of the six fragrances that make up the Aramis Gentleman's Collection might be the perfect starter set for any man interested in fragrance. There isn't a bad fragrance amongst the six but what is surprising to me is that I think JHL might be the best of the Collection.

Have a very Healthy and Happy New Year everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Happy Anniversary to dear Haunani and her hubby! How wonderfully romantic to be married on New Year's Eve!

Add my wishes to all of you, dearest BNers, for a safe and happy New Year! I wish I could find the right words to tell you how wonderful it is to be part of this community. I wish all of you the best for 2010.

SOTD is L'Eau d'Hiver for the first part of the day...

Tonight, I'll spritz something special for the celebration...Hawaii passes into 2010 at (or very close to) the very end of the "day"...so I have almost 11 hours of 2009 left, for me to decide...

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

...oops
    Last edited by kbe; 31st December 2009 at 10:44 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Happy 25th Anniversary to the Fragrant Haunani and Hubs!

Aramis Havana tonight. Happy New Year to all!!
    Last edited by kbe; 31st December 2009 at 10:43 PM.

Haunani, enjoy your special day!!!!!

All dressed up in Cuir de Lancome for my evening. I am loving this soft, airy leather.

Robe d'un Soir by Carven...seems to fit

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HAUNANI.....And HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL AT BASENOTES!!!!!! The New Signature Scent by Bond No.9
    Gary

Stopping in quickly to say Happy New Year!!!

and Happy 25th Anniv, Haunani! I hope your New Year's is filled with romance!

I'm closing out the year in Fracas. It feels festive, sparkly, and, oddly, a little bit sticky.

Thank you for the anniversary wishes, everyone, and again -- HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Happy 25th, Haunanis!

Hubby brought home a bottle o' bubbly from a 5k he ran/walked today. So we had champs and I wore a bit of Shalimar parfum courtesy of Riannon.
    Way to wrap up a year: Shalimar & Champagne!!!

Tabac Blond this evening.
    Best wishes to all Basenoters
    My blog about perfume
    (Norwegian language)

Ending the year with Tuberose Gardenia and a great meal.

Goin into the new year with a little Trouble by Boucheron.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Happy Anniversary to Ms.H and hubs and many more!

Happy (or Happier) New Year Twenty Ten to all.

My SotD and SotE is the same Torrente L'Or. The one I reached most for in 2009.

Blog Entries

Happy New Year everyone!!!!

(and happy anniversary to Haunani & her man!)

I can't believe I did it again, but I left myself scentless for a shopping trip and ended up not putting anything on!

I ended up buying some Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir bath gel, so I think I might ring in the new decade with a luxurious pomegranate bubble bath. I may even go the full dandy route and sip a glass of wine while I'm there!

(I guess that counts as a scent of the evening, right?)
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Blog Entries

Congratulations, Haunani!

SotD was C. O. Bigelow Elixir White - best $19.95 imitation of Hermès you can buy!

SotE is Amouage Epic. Awesome!

Haunani and Hubby -- Happy Silver Anniversary!!!!!