Code of Conduct

Default Advice for a new frag!!

Hey everyone this is my first post. I'm looking for a new fragrance and would like the trusted minds of basenotes to help me decide! Currently I have 3 frags in my wardrobe. I have Burberry London for fall and winter, Versace PH which I use for going out/parties and ADG for an everyday type scent. I've been testing out a few recently and would like to get one more.

What I've tested:

YSL L'Homme: I really like this one but it does take a sharp turn on my skin.

Polo double black: On paper this one smells phenominal, and on skin it smells nice but longevity leaves something to be desired.

Gucci Pour Homme II: Probably my favorite so far, and I can get it cheap(25 for 1.7). The only downside in my eyes is the slightly feminine quality to the frag. Love the fresh tea notes though. Is this too close to Burberry London? Lasts a good while on my skin.

A*men/pure malt: A*men smells alright just not sure when I'd use it. Pure malt smells a lot better with that burnt caramel note.

Rochas Man: haven't tested this and nowhere near me has it. Would be a blind buy. Fom the reviews it seems like a good compromise between A*men and polo db for a sweet coffee/vanilla scent.

Scent would be for either everyday use or going out at night. One that's great for both is a plus. I'm in my very early twenties if that makes a difference. So what say you basenotes?

Default Re: Advice for a new frag!!

I haven't tried Versace PH myself but it seems very close to Allure Homme Sport. I think (with ADG) you like citrussy scents. Allure Homme Sport is like a mix (I think) between Versace and ADG. It's suited and popular for people in their early twenties.
    Another one, in the same category, is L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme.

I think you would also like, if you haven't tested it yet: Armani Code, to me it is somewhat similar to Polo double black.

YSL L'Hommes opening reminds me of D&G Pour Homme, but that one dries down to be a tobacco scent.

I'm going to blind buy Rochas Man myself for the same reason you mentioned.

since were in the same age category I would suggest something like an amber scent. They work wonders day and night and leave a mysterious trail for others to smell since there not common. I don't know what budget you have but I would recommend Blue Amber by Montale, Ambre Precieux by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier and Ambre d'Or by Il Profumo.

I guarantee you won't be disappointed and they are completely different from your mainstream fragrances, which is a massive plus when your young and most youngsters wear the same thing.
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 31st December 2009 at 05:42 PM.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Try Trussardi Inside Man for coffee with a hint of tobacco. I just love the stuff. Also, you might try YSL La Nuit de L'Homme to see if that is more to your liking than the original. I rather like it myself.
    Current Wardrobe (in no particular odor, HAHA!):

Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Silver Mountain Water, Creed Himalaya, Creed Tabarome, Aramis Havana, Bond No.9 Central Park, Trussardi Inside, Fahrenheit Absolute, Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme, Guerlain L'Instant Homme, David Beckham Signature, Cartier Declaration Essence, Azzaro Visit, Azzaro Silver-Black, Azzaro Pure Vetiver, Dunhill X-Centric, Perry Ellis Reserve, Armani Attitude, Armani Mania, Bvlgari Aqva, Jacomo Paradox Green, Canali Summer Night, Kouros Cologne Sport, Realm Men, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, St. Patrick, Cuba (Red, Green, Gold, Black, Grey, Brown, Maya), Opium Pour Homme EDP, Banana Republic Cordovan, Amouage Epic Man, J. Peterman 1902, Bogart City Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Galleddrim View Post
    Try Trussardi Inside Man for coffee with a hint of tobacco. I just love the stuff. Also, you might try YSL La Nuit de L'Homme to see if that is more to your liking than the original. I rather like it myself.
    +1 Try La Nuit De L'Homme. I like it alot

Also GIT, TdH, and Allure Sport are all 3 really hard for anyone to dislike and garner MASSIVE compliments

Thanks for the responses everyone! I have tried leau de issey, AHS, and the la nuit version of l'homme. All were nice but not quite what I'm looking for. The longevity of polo db probably disqualifies it. I'm thinking I'm between gucci pour homme II and rochas man. How would both of these scents be used? Also, I'm trying to find something that's not overly feminine in nature. Any advice on these two frags would be appreciated!

rochas man or body kouros (i LOVE body kouros), allure by chanel too!

YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme, Ungaro III, Dior Homme, Rochas Aquaman might also be frags worth sampling

Plus, the first two are very suitable also or going out, although especially on more formal occasions

2nd Rive Gauche, and Body Kouros