Code of Conduct

Default How the hell do you ship fragrances overseas?

Did a search on this but haven't found a conclusive answer. I know it's possible to make a vague declaration like "toiletries" to get a package through but I need to ship a bunch of bottles (from the UK to Canada) and I would like to do it properly... Any advice? It's crazy how everything is so restricted... How do importers do it?
    Last edited by keylogic; 2nd January 2010 at 08:07 PM.

Default Re: How the hell do you ship fragrances overseas?

Ive sent a few bottles via royal mail , always mark the customs declaration as fragrance and as a gift and never had any problems
    Just package em up really really well and you good to go

wouldn't labelling them a 'gift' be technically considered a 'fabrication'? Technically the package is being sent for money which means by the dictionary definition that its not a gift.

I have a personal thing against lying so I don't know what to do either. Advice would be welcome UK Bn'ers
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 2nd January 2010 at 09:15 PM.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Well your little "personal thing" against lying is going to complicate getting your fragrances where you need them to go, Canada is a bitch to ship to.

i always ship as

GIFT
    and
    Cosmetics

this way recievr doesnt pay fees and botle dosnt get stuck at costums.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Ive sent a few bottles via royal mail , always mark the customs declaration as fragrance ...
    Nope, do not mark the customs declaration as "fragrance" !!

Edit : That would just get the package confiscated. Sure, there are always packages that make it through. But you have got to play it safe !
    Last edited by Surfacing; 2nd January 2010 at 09:32 PM.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Basenotes Institution

Agreed - never mark the parcel as fragrance - it'll take a loong time to arrive if ever. Moreda 's suggestion is right .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    Well your little "personal thing" against lying is going to complicate getting your fragrances where you need them to go, Canada is a bitch to ship to.
    Yes I understand the facts and neither am I happy about the shipping and customs du-dah but when a man has principles, he stands by them!

Anyhow that aside, I'll find a way around it, man made laws always have loopholes!
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir4 View Post
    Anyhow that aside, I'll find a way around it, man made laws always have loopholes!
    Finding a way around it would lead you to fabrication, something that I read you don't wish to do.
    It'd be interesting to see what you come up with.

Declaring the package as a 'gift' when it is in fact not a gift, is just one part of the story.
    The more important facet is to see what you declare the package as and that is where
    ingenuity comes to the fore. Fragrances are technically considered 'Health & Beauty' items and/or 'Cosmetics'. Essentially we are already exploiting the 'loophole'.

I believe that for international mailing, 'Gift' is intended as the opposite of products you are buying to sell or use in other commercial activies (promotions, etc.). I think in that sense, you can consider it as a gift to yourself (paid for by you, but a gift nonetheless).

"Gifts" have the benefit of often avoiding customs charges at the destination country. I've purchased products from Australia where they declared the package as "merchandise" and I ended up footing the customs charge to import the product. Ended up nearly doubling the price.

I have sent hundreds of packages overseas,USA and CAN, declared as <used cosmetics>,gift and very low value,always registered mail(signed for)without any problem

Well alcohol is considered as dangerous goods for one, it cannot fly it seems.

I made the mistake of trying to post in a main PO once and the man behind the counter told me Royal Mail do not and would not ship perfume. It had to go by a special service(this was a first on me. Also my friend who works for a Mugler counter and ships to customers). You needed a licence for it! The woman in my local PO never worries about it. So I learn my lesson and put used cosmetics and gift now. You don't want to lie, good for you. But your stuff will never reach Canada.
    DONNA

Im with Giannis... I mark mine as "GIFT" and "USED TOILETRIES/COSMETICS" with a low value, and have only ever had one incident which was problematic.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

For a small package I would chance it but being that I want to send 7 bottles plus another box containing many vials and atomizers together I'm a bit hesitant.

Quote Originally Posted by giannis View Post
    I have sent hundreds of packages overseas,USA and CAN, declared as <used cosmetics>,gift and very low value,always registered mail(signed for)without any problem
    What size packages generally have you sent?

'Cosmetics' is the way to go for me as well.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I love the way I have simply posted how I have previously shipped fragrances , only to get lectured on the fact that I am wrong .

I was merely stating how I have shipped things and never had any problems

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I love the way I have simply posted how I have previously shipped fragrances , only to get lectured on the fact that I am wrong .

I was merely stating how I have shipped things and never had any problems
    I didn't mean to lecture you Pour Monsieur. But I do get a tad restless when I feel that someone posts some info that would not be helpful to the original poster. Specifically with the issue of shipping to and from Canada. Remeber, just because something has not happened to you ( ie package being confiscated), does not been it cannot happen. You have to play it safe. By posting that your method "...never had any problems...", you are giving the idea that it is the wisest option. It is not.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !