Code of Conduct

Unhappy Bad reactions to grooming products ? I hate you, Tom's of Main.....

I just wanted to start this discussion based on this deodorant that has given me a rash-like reaction. Maybe worse. I have been using the lavender scented deodorant from Toms of Maine.

Actually, Tom's of Maine has pretty much made me ridiculously uncomfortable for the last month or so. I stopped using it after a week. I should have stoppped after the second day !

I started using it based on the recommendation from a former co-worker, who warned me of the ill effects of the regular deoderants at the pharmacy. Well, ill effects in the future or not, I am gonna have to stick with them for now.

I once in a while get those free deoderants with fragrancs. And this is why I never use them. Maybe my skin is overly sensitive. Maybe it is not. Maybe I can't think about that because my skin is driving me INSANE !!

Have you had any grooming products that have given you bad skin or other reactions ? Discuss ...
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Default Re: Bad reactions to grooming products ? I hate you, Tom's of Main.....

Most eye creams make the skin around my eyes burn--too many brands/products to mention. I only have good luck with those which contain Shea Butter.

Since I've been trusting Ms Begoun, my skin has drastically changed for good... No more troubles... I really recommend giving her site a good read...

I've tried all of Tom's of Maine stick and roll-on deodorants - including the new Crystal roll-on - and have had horrible rashes from all of them

I've had excellent results with Aubrey Organics deodorant sprays. I've also tried using Thayers Witch Hazel combined with a light cologne as a liquid deodorant which works very well.
    Last edited by WhosYerBob; 8th January 2010 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks to all that replied. Keep them comming I want to feel that I am not the only one out there who has had bad reactions on my skin to certain products. Most importantly, I want to know what those products are. And of course, what will work.

I'll be looking out for Aubrey Organics and Ms Begoun.

Asha, ouch ! Sorry to hear about your eyes. Burning is more nasty there than in the under arm area
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I was really a fan of the Clinique 3 step a year ago and roped in my gf to start using Clinique too. She had almost flawless skin and only suffers from a few blackheads and slightly enlarged pores. 2 weeks after starting on the Clinique 3 Step, she has massive breakouts around her forehead and cheeks. We assumed it was caused by bad advice from the SA and the high alcohol content in the Clinique toners. Till this day I think she has not forgiven me for ruining her complexion.

As for myself I don't think I had any adverse reactions to skincare products. I usually do a lot of research before deciding to buy a product. But I do advise against using the Clinique toners though because of the high alcohol content. It did help my skin for the first 1-2 months but like a vicious cycle, the toners made my skin worse by the 3rd month onwards.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Alcohol is NEVER EVER good for skin... Together with many essential oils that we think safe but they're not (peppermint, lavender, witch hazel, orange, lemon...). Sorry to hear you had to learn the hard way, Jonny...

Sure. Reactions vary from dry, flaky skin to outbreaks to actual eczema. Patch tests revealed that I'm mildly allergic/sensitive to a variety of cosmetic preservatives and colourants, but of course your skin reactions could be caused by anything and everything. I tend to stick with one brand of anti-allergenic grooming products that I know doesn't set my skin off (Róc, fwiw).

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing
    Most importantly, I want to know what those products are. And of course, what will work.
    So I'm afraid that's going to be trial & error.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I had the same trouble with this "Tom's" deodorant. It is sticky, uncomfortable to wear, and leaves your skin itchy and red.

They say it is natural, but hemlock and other poisons are also natural. It doesn't mean they are good for you.

Interesting, a few months ago I switched from Axe to Tom's unscented deodorant stick and haven't had any troubles. I just bought some Christal Alum and will also try just using a few sprays of Thayers Witch hazel instead as well.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I used to use Tom's of Maine deodo too, but I never had any problems. That was years ago so who knows if they changed their composition. The active ingredient in some of these "green" deodos is often lichen, which you and some others may be having an allergic reaction to. The reason I switched is because I was going through a stick a month. I am now using Nature's Gate, which also uses lichen, but lasts me at least six months or more, even through the hot muggy SE summers. Good luck!
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Quote Originally Posted by cbstarker View Post
    I used to use Tom's of Maine deodo too, but I never had any problems. That was years ago so who knows if they changed their composition. The active ingredient in some of these "green" deodos is often lichen, which you and some others may be having an allergic reaction to. The reason I switched is because I was going through a stick a month. I am now using Nature's Gate, which also uses lichen, but lasts me at least six months or more, even through the hot muggy SE summers. Good luck!
    Tom's of Maine may have had a reformulation based on being bought out by by Colgate, a large conglomerate. They are no longer the small niche personal care company they once were, although they are still sold in health food stores.

Nature's Gate is a good company and we use the unscented deodorant (no aluminum salts), which does not clash with perfume. I think oak gall is an ingredient. They have an excellent fluoride-free toothpaste, too. (Yes, fluoride has been implicated in health problems.)

Plus, Colgate tests on animals and I'd rather be assured a company is no longer testing its products on animals.
    Last edited by Primrose; 29th January 2010 at 03:39 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.