Code of Conduct

Default First post. Great Site!! Now a question for you.

So, I just discovered this site a few weeks ago. I am 37 from Indiana and have went through a LOT of cologne.... but nothing to the extent that these members have. I usually try to keep myself to about 3 colognes in the rotation at a time. However, after reading more and more, I am getting tempted to jump into the craziness of a larger inventory. I really have never experienced anything close to a Creed, Amouge, or even more expensive. I have always been limited to what is around the counters of Macy's or similar department stores. My wife prefers stuff like Cool Water, Tommy, Fierce, etc so that is what she tends to buy for me. I am more of an Obsession, Pi, Varvatos, Burberry, Joop (yes, I like it in the right amounts ) so I guess that I am into the warmer, manly scents. Recently, I have started making purchases online (fragranceshop.com, very happy with these purchases) so that helps soften the blow by paying MUCH less than retail. Soooo.... I think that I need to make a trip to the more upscale mall so that I can sample some of the less mainstream scents.... and then order them online. lol

I have quickly learned that while one thread may have everyone loving one scent, there is an equal amount of threads of people hating that scent. Like other things in life (women, cars, clothing, homes, etc. etc.) everyone has their own taste and they will love/hate different things. Based on the Basenotes review, is there any fragrance that is nearly unanimously either loved or hated? Even the uber expensive scents may have 20 negative posts with people absolutely calling them garbage. So I was just interested if there is that one scent that EVERYONE hates or loves? Again, totally subjective, just thought that it would be cool if anyone has recently seen a scent that didn't have any haters (or lovers).

Thanks for the great site!

Default Re: First post. Great Site!! Now a question for you.

Welcome to Basenotes! I am kinda new myself, but after reading reviews for a few months and sniffing around, you realize that it is all subjective.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

I think I once saw a % rating system here at one time. Can any one help pcrisp please

I think By Man doesn't have anyone really hating it. Although it's discontinued and hard as hell to get so you might as well not bother with it. If you see a scent that sounds interesting but a lot of people say it's bad, you should still try it. We all like different scents and all have our own opinions.

I know Paul Smith Story has 0 negative reviews and 21 positives. So... that's pretty good as far as im concerned

I have some data on this from a couple of months ago. A bit out of date, but similar to what you're looking for...

At that time, the following fragrances had more than 10 reviews and 100% positive ratings:

• Calvin Klein cK One Summer
    • Gres Homme de Gres
    • Les Nereides Imperial Opoponax
    • Ava Luxe Love's True Bluish Light
    • Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose
    • Amouage Homage Attar
    • Romeo Gigli Gigli Man
    • Jean Patou Patou pour Home Prive
    • Comme des Garcons Series 3: Ouarzazate
    • ST Dupont ST Dupont Homme
    • Paco Rabanne Calandre
    • Givenchy Vetiver

But, I'd caution against reading too much into this list. From the two that I have direct exposure to (Paestum Rose and Ouarzazate), I'd guess that this is more a list of fragrances that make good first impressions than "best" fragrances. You might also notice that with a couple of exceptions, there's very little overlap with the fragrances that get the most love here on the forums.
    Last edited by NillaGoon; 3rd January 2010 at 07:01 PM.

Welcome aboard. Yes, there is a lot of back and forth on every frag. Over time, you learn to judge for yourself, and use the input in here as a bit of a guide.

For example, A*Men is a great frag. It is loved by many, but hated by many too. Over time with a bit of surfing, you will be able to spot the ones that generally speaking could potentially be difficult to wear. Some scents are very polarizing, and this is great place to spot the tricky ones (Kouros, A*Men, Yatagan, Joop, etc).

Use the Fragrance Directory to look up the frags you want to know more about and read the reviews. You'll find many of the reviewers are very balanced and consistent. Some dislike most everything.

Above all, learn to sample and judge for yourself. Collectively, we're pretty anti-blind buy. (But we all do it plenty more than we'd admit). You can purchase samples through Lucky Scent and The Perfumed Court. There are some in here that sell or swap samples. Most retail stores will make you a small sample.

It is all subjective and your opinion counts the most for you. You like Joop and I don't care for it...a lot of people don't. If it rocks for you and your wife, roll with it. Use this place to point yourself in a direction, but don't take our word for anything.

Nothing is uniformly loved. Sometimes if a frag has all positive reviews, it's just because not that many people have tried it, and the people who did and liked it wrote a review. At best, some frags are just highly regarded by a lot of people.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 3rd January 2010 at 07:03 PM.

I would advise not assuming that a frag that has 0 negatives is one that you will almost certainly like. Instead, I suggest you get one frag of each genre, assuming you haven't already done that (oriental, chypre, fougere, complex 80s power frag, gourmand, etc.) and give yourself time to get acquainted with the notes, development, structure, etc. Also, I've tried many very expensive frags and haven't liked any of them all that much (perhaps Bois d'Argent, but I only sampled it twice). There are many very good ones that are "avant garde" and very cheap, such as B*Men. Then there are some really well made ones that are not common but also really cheap, such as Everlast Original 1910 (which is "natural" smelling, well structured and balanced, and has a prominent leather note, which is the uncommon element).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 3rd January 2010 at 06:57 PM.

Greater popularity = Greater criticism. The most popular frags are also the most criticized.

I'd say the most bashed House is Creed, Arguably the most popular non designer house...

Quote Originally Posted by Tedster View Post
    Greater popularity = Greater criticism. The most popular frags are also the most criticized.

I'd say the most bashed House is Creed, Arguably the most popular non designer house...
    Very true. Your goal should not be to find something that no one hates. Some great frags are truly loathed by many. And it's not always the scent that they hate. It might be the company that makes it (eg Creed), the high price, or just the fact that it's very popular (eg Aqua di Gio).

Think of everyone in here like film critics. Some of them might hate your favorite movie.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 3rd January 2010 at 07:09 PM.

Thanks for the replies. I guess that I was kind of interested if there was hardly any scent with over 100 likes and almost 0 dislikes. It seems sooooo subjective, I would be shocked if something like that existed. I have seen some sites that had I AM KING as the best fragrance of the year. To me, my wife, and all of the people that I saw test it when I also did, everyone hated it. Cheaper to buy some grapefruit juice and put it in a sprayer.

I guess this is what makes it all so fun.......

Yes, it is fun. Don't take it serious. You already like one of odd ones in JOOP! Don't throw it away based on our opinions.
    You're not going to dinner with anybody in here. (watch that shyt at work though!)

Play around and here and find your own direction.

Haha. I work at a College and when I have worn JOOP! to work, I always get tons of the female students saying that it smells really good. Interestingly enough, most of the same females did NOT like Fierce. Maybe because JOOP! is just a lot stronger so it stands out more?

Who knows? To each his own. You're the only expert that counts in your world.

I think, with anything in life and not just with fragrances, like or dislike of something comes from passion. To remove someones passion to dislike something, you have to remove any passionate feeling at all about the thing. In other words, you have to replace it with indifference, so you have to make the whateveritis mediocre.

Another way to look at it is by looking at everyone on earth as an individual. What is it amongst all their tastes that they will have 'in common'? Very little. So if something is created that matches and only matches that 'common demoninator', how much of that item will match any individuals full spectrum of taste? Again, very little.

For an item to exactly match a wide amount of one individuals taste and therefore be passionately liked by that individual, by definition it has to exclude itself from being liked by many other individuals.

Blimey I'm getting way too philosophical this late in the evening!

I think it is very interesting to read the "over-rated" threads and a lot of the scents mentioned are some of the same ones that were the winners (or in the top) of the Basenotes awards. I need to hit the stores and smell more of this stuff...... then show the self control to only buy what I think is best.

Welcome to Basenotes PCrisp.....One of the best the to do is to take a day and sample.....If You have some High End stores around tha's a plus.....Once again.....Welcome to Basenotes.
    Gary

If you are looking for fragrances that are universally loved or hated then look to Secretions Magnifique; this fragrance is nearly universally despised here on BN.
    Last edited by surreality; 4th January 2010 at 02:29 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Thank you for the info on Secretions Magnifique. Apparently the wrong thing secreted. Reading some of the negative reviews had me crying in laughter. Some of these guys are comedic poets!!! haha Reading these reminded me of the show "Howie Do It" when Howie Mandel created his own cologne by filling a cologne spray bottle with Liquid A$$. Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    If you are looking for fragrances that are universally loved or hated then look to Secretions Magnifique; this fragrance is nearly universally despised here on BN.
    Yeah, but they're still selling it to somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    And good for ELDO.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Welcome to Basenotes!!

as all previous posters have mentioned, reviews are pretty subjective..in time & with lot of experimental purcahses and samplings, you will get a hang of how to derive a sum of all reviews and come to your best decision in terms of getting some scent blind (however, sampling a scent is the best way to invest your money). In time, you could/would narrow down to accords that you might like and search for scents accordingly.. for eg. scents like Obsession and Pi are heavy duty orientals with a sweet vanillic touch...so does joop! i presume you havent sampled the Obsession Eau de Parfum (ladies version), you would find this scent much more luxurious and warmer scent to wear than the mens version...chances are you might then find the mens version very brash and loud after you sample the EDP...

Presuming you like vanilla based orientals, you could give Boucheron Jaipur Eau de Parfum (and not the eau de toilette) a try. it's lighter and airier than Obsession and Pi but thn, it's a classic release representing the same genre of scents. Some other scents which comes under the category of "warm scents" (imho) would be Cartier declaration, Pal Zileri Sartoriale, Lalique Encre Noir, YSL M7, Hugo Boss Soul, Cachrel Nemo, Ungar III (vintage, comes in red cap) et al.
    Last edited by jenson; 4th January 2010 at 05:37 AM.

I wonder if you have tried Kouros ?
    Its the worlds most loved & equally hated Jeckyl & Hide frag .
    welcome .....

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Are they? I've wondered if this fragrance wasn't basically just a marketing ploy to raise awareness of the ELDO brand. That is, not necessary that it be sold, just that it be available for sale and sampling...

While many scents are genuinely divisive in the way they smell (Kouros, A*Men), there are many scents where almost everyone will admit they smell good, but they get negative reviews because they aren't creative enough, or they follow a certain trend too closely. Scents like Armani Code or AdG would be examples.

So my message is: don't just look at what has perfect reviews when looking for the most loved scent. Try to factor in the main reasons for negative reviews. If they don't focus on the scent itself, take them with a grain of salt.

Also, +1 Jaipur. You will almost certainly like it.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 4th January 2010 at 05:15 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

After reading the replies to this thread I have come to think that most people are not really understanding what the original poster was asking.

"So I was just interested if there is that one scent that EVERYONE hates or loves? . . . just thought that it would be cool if anyone has recently seen a scent that didn't have any haters (or lovers)."

I don't think the poster was looking for sampling suggestions but for a list of fragrances that either inspire universal acclaim or disgust.

Thanks surreality. I was kind of just wanting to see if there was any single most loved or hated cologne out there. However, the replies have made a lot of sense in the fact that you really have to read the negative review and see what they are actually complaining about. Sometimes it might just be the price or house that they don't like. I am very open to any and all suggestions. I am making a list on my iPhone for a run to the mall to give some of these a sample. However, some will have to be done with an ordered sample. Thanks!

pcrisp, I understand that we didn't exactly answer your question. We (I) sort of danced around it.

That's basically because the answer to your question is "no," and the only way it could ever be a "yes" is with several caveats, mostly related the subjectivity and overall unreliability of perfume reviews. I think those caveats are what we were talking about at length while not answering your question.

It's no fun to just say "no." And being inclined to nitpick details like this, we can't help but talk ourselves in loops.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 4th January 2010 at 09:12 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Discontinued classic scents such as Patou Pour Homme tend to be fairly well respected around here. I don't think you'll find 100% agreement on any fragrance though.

Any fragrance worth loving is probably also worth hating, depending on your tastes. Put another way: distinctive perfumes provoke strong responses.

There's no way anyone can tell you what to like. I do think that there's a long list of perfumes that evoke strong feelings (positive and negative) on BN that are definitely worth sampling to experience what all the fuss is about and to figure out what you like. IMO, these might include (among many, many others and in no particular order):

Knize Ten
    The various classic Guerlains
    L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Eau Sauvage
    Chanel PM
    The Caron masculines
    Terre d'Hermes (and other Hermes masculines)
    No. 88
    Kouros
    Azzaro PH
    Onda
    Grey Flannel
    Any of several Diptyques
    Any of several L'Artisans
    Any of several Creeds
    Any of several Malles

No guarantee that you'll like any particular one of these. But if you sniffed your way around such a list you'd certainly find something that would catch your fancy. And you'd learn a lot about designer and niche frags and your own taste.