Code of Conduct

Default Hello!I'm searching the best vanilla scent

I really adored Eau de Vanilliers by L'Occitane but they discontinued it.Thank you!

Default Re: Hello!I'm searching the best vanilla scent

Oh boy! There is going to be probably about one hundred + suggestions for you, I was on the same vanilla search this past autumn and tried and tested and compared until I could not sniff vanilla itself any more.

What type of vanilla are you looking for? How well versed on vanillas are you in general? What is your opinion about the latest vanillas from Hermes, L'Artisan, Creed?

Foody, edible vanillas can be found from Comptoir Sud Pacific and Laurence Dumont.
    Dark, enchanting vanillas are awaiting you from Fragonard, Dior Addict, Il Profumo.
    Fruity, light, girly vanillas are Hanae Mori (butterfly), Lolita Lempicka L.

For starters -- if you do not know what you are really looking for -- please do yourself a favor and order that coffret with 4 travel size vanilla based fragrances from La Maison de la Vanille -- for a reasonable amount of money you will experience different types of vanilla from gourmand to dark to floral back to foody. Money well spent, I suppose.
    Last edited by Twolf; 4th January 2010 at 09:11 PM.

Smile Re: Hello!I'm searching the best vanilla scent

I really like Ligne St Barths Vanilla West Indies and Vanille Noire du Mexique from la vanille,
    I enjoy Indult Tihota too and Chantecaille Frangipane!I like Montale's Intense Tiare too.
    Last edited by Maya; 4th January 2010 at 09:08 PM.

I think these are all good choices, get two full bottles if you can't make up your mind about one. We all need variety.

LAVANILA Vanilla is a simple straight up vanilla. Les Nereides Douceur de Vanille is a powdery vanilla. Yves Rocher Organic Vanilla edt is simple and pretty. All of these are well priced as well.

Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille is a woody rich vanilla- a little more expensive.

Sur la Plage

I am really liking Tokyo Milk Dead Sexy Parfum 06.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I recently discovered L'Artisan Parfumerie's Vanilia. Try it if you love the smell of a freshly baked custard with a grating of fresh nutmeg on top!

the best is from l'artisan

There are a hundred possible suggestions!! My favorite is the Lutens one somebody already named above. And I bet Spiritueuse Double Vanille is a stunner too (just remembered it's still on my "to try" list..)!
    But then there's also the vanilla,a dirtier,darker one, in Molinards' Habanita...or in Guerlains' Shalimar...it's not all about the vanilla..but the drydowns are incredible.

I used to wear a L'Occitane vanilla in about 1989 (I am sure it was, though there is no mention in the directory). It was really teriffic. Pretty much the same as the version you mention. WHY did they ever discontinue??? One of their most popular fragrances, which can go for silly prices of fleabay. I miss it too...

Where Vanilla is concerned my experience is only with the cheapies. I just daren't dabble with the pricier vanillas; I've such a limited budget. It's great to have a vanilla cheap & cheerful enough to spray with abandon!

Molinard Vanille is my fave straight up vanilla, & much loved by many - the "Les Scenteurs" version in the blue bottle. Discontinued but occasionaly to be found. They have a Vanille out currently in a clear, arch shaped bottle. I have not heard reports yet so I don't know if it is the same as the old juice.

Personally I cannot rave about [B]Yves Rocher Bourbon Vanilla[B], though I know it is quite popular. I have not heard of Y R Organic Vanilla. Can't rate The Body Shop Vanilla, though some like the oil.

It seems that Fragonard no longer do a plain Vanilla. On there site there is Fleur de Vanille:

http://www.fragonard.com/parfums_gra...nille-c-63.htm

I wonder what that is like?

Basenotes Institution

So many to choose from but... I have Vanille Gourmande by Laura Mercier and it's a pretty lovely smoky vanilla that lasts.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Another vote for Molinard Vanille for basic vanilla - a bit cotton candy, a bit caramel, a bit fruity, it's great for layering.

Not straight up vanilla, but Organza Indecence is by far my favorite vanilla based scent, it's kind of custardy with a sprinkle of cinnamon, no floral notes just vanilla, woods, spices, tonka.

Blog Entries

The Comptor Sud Pacific line has dozens to try.
    My favorite is Profumum-Dulcis in Fundo but it is quite $$$.
    Also Parfumerie Generale-Aomassai and Felanilla are both fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosamundi View Post
    Molinard Vanille is my fave straight up vanilla, & much loved by many - the "Les Scenteurs" version in the blue bottle. Discontinued but occasionaly to be found. They have a Vanille out currently in a clear, arch shaped bottle. I have not heard reports yet so I don't know if it is the same as the old juice.
    I've been curious about this one for some time but am only prepared to investigate the blue bottle version (the probability of the clear bottle version being reformulated is quite high).

However, at the end of the day, I'm pretty much an EDP freak. So, my vote goes to Guerlain's SDV (complex vanilla) and Profumum Roma's Vanitas (straight-up creamy vanilla).

Bal A Versailles has A lovely Vanilla dry down. I'd suggest it to you though with added warning It has a mild skanky, yet dirty top note.

A brilliant Floral/Oriental frag In my opinion!

Cheers and take care!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

I also like Vanilia and Havana Vanille, the two L'Artisan vanillas.

But consider trying Neil Morris's Intimate Vanilla. It is quite perfect.

Indult Tihota. It's the very very best. But I can't bring myself to pay that much.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    The Comptor Sud Pacific line has dozens to try.
    My favorite is Profumum-Dulcis in Fundo but it is quite $$$.
    Also Parfumerie Generale-Aomassai and Felanilla are both fantastic.
    +1 Felanilla

Agree on the L'Artisan Vanilia as well. Own and love it. But my HG vanilla would have to be Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille.

For basic vanilla, I like i Profumi di Firenze Vaniglia del Madagascar, Yves Rocher Bourbon Vanille, Mistral Balinese Vanilla, and L'Aromarine Vanille.

For vanilla with something extra:
    Antica Farmacista Vaniglia, Bourbon, and Mandarino (orange creamsicle)
    Guerlain Spiritueuese Double Vanille (boozy, smoky vanilla)
    Guerlain Angelique Noire (angelica, bergamot, vanilla)
    Yves Rocher Néonatura Cocoon (cocoa, vanilla, patchouli)

Also, The Perfumed Court offers several different vanilla sampler sets that would offer a nice variety to try.

Good luck with your search!
    Last edited by tang; 14th January 2010 at 02:17 AM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

As was mentioned- Yves Rocher Bourbon Vanille is just an exhilaratingly yummy vanille. Very basic, very smooth, very vanille. Also, very reasonable.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

I took several of my friend perfume-exploring two weeks ago and the surprising favorite was Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. I'm not predisposed to like Tom Ford scents, but I have to admit this was really nice. Obviously not a straight-up vanilla, but you might like it just the same. Its not cheap, however.

I am currently searching for an amazing vanilla too, hopefully a vanilla bourbon. Something where the vanilla isn't compromised by too many other ingredients. So far the less expensive of my interests have been in Comptoir Sud Pacifique's line and La Vanille's line. The latter has a pretty reasonable sampler set on Luckyscent. The more expensive options to me are Serge Luten's Bois Vanille and L'artisan's Havana Vanille. Both of which I tested yesterday but not yet on the skin. Both smell amazing.

Personally, I would get a Perfumed Court Vanilla sampler if you don't have a good retail venue to sniff out. Happy sampling!

I am a vanilla lover and this thread has been very helpful to me so I wanted to say thanks.

I have ordered a few different vanilla samples. Two from Lucky Scents (Tihota by Indult and Note Vanillee Art Collection by M. Micallef) and the 5 vanilla sampler pack from The Perfumed Court (including Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille L'Artisan Vanilia, Laura Mercier Vanille Gourmand, Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille and Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille).

I am very excited and am looking forward to experiencing these perfumes. I will keep you posted on my thoughts as I try each of them.

Thanks again for all the helpful info and happy Thanksgiving to all those who celebrate this holiday.

I received my 2 samples from LuckyScent on Saturday (no word yet from The Perfumed Court) and I love Tihota. On me it is very soft and gentle and warm and sweet. My husband likes it but doesn't love it though he is not a huge fan of vanilla like I am. I also liked the other sample I ordered from them- Note Vanillee Art Collection by M. Micallef but not as much as Tihota. Note Vanillee Art Collection is not as soft as Tihota and is a bit more perfumey for lack of a better description. My husband preferred this to Tihota.

Still waiting on my other 5 samples from TPC. I have no idea if they shipped yet (though I ordered them last Wed same as LuckyScent) but I eagerly anticipate their arrival.

What a fun quest. Have you tried Vanille Intense by Parfums de Nicolai? Interesting/spicy vanilla. I only have a TPC sample, but love it. I also quite enjoyed Diptyque's new Duelle.

Tocade by Rochas! The most gorgeous, burnt-candy-floss vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by chaplain View Post
    What a fun quest. Have you tried Vanille Intense by Parfums de Nicolai? Interesting/spicy vanilla. I only have a TPC sample, but love it. I also quite enjoyed Diptyque's new Duelle.
    No I haven't tried these. Thanks for the recommendations. I will order some more samples as soon I receive my TPC order -which I just found out hasn't yet shipped so I am hoping they will mail them out soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs H View Post
    Tocade by Rochas! The most gorgeous, burnt-candy-floss vanilla
    Oh, that sounds yummy. I will have to try this one also.

Thanks for the recommendations Chaplain and Mrs. H. Much appreciated!

Basenotes Plus

+1 for the Angelique Noire by Guerlain, it is absolutely beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    +1 for the Angelique Noire by Guerlain, it is absolutely beautiful.
    Thanks so much for the recommendation.
    So many lovely perfumes...hopefully I can find my HG perfume amongst all these lovely ones!

My darling husband is so impulsive. He stopped in at Bergdoff's this morning and bought the Guerlain SDV for me before I even tried it! And my samples from TPC came this evening which also included the SDV so I am overflowing in vanilla LOL.

Impressions so far (wearing the SDV for only 15 minutes so I know not a true test yet) it goes on and smells OK but I am not loving it like I did when I first applied Tihota. It is getting more powdery in smell right now and smells like perfume (if that makes any sense)- artificial somehow. I am having trouble picking out all the notes as I do not have an experienced nose but with Tihota I could tell right away it was vanilla and musk. Not saying that is good or bad though just sharing my experience so far.

I did a quick sniff of the other 4 samples and the only one I liked in the glass vials was the Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille. My husband tried a number of perfumes at Bergdoff when he was buying the SDV and he absolutely hated the tobacco vanille from Tom Ford and after smelling the sample I have to agree. It smells like tobacco actually and that is the only thing I am smelling as it is very overpowering (IMO).

Of course, I have to try the samples on my skin and wear each of them for a day or so at least but since I can only try one on my skin at a time I couldn't resist smelling each of them in their vials for now.

So far I love Tihota but am not sure I love its sweetness as on me it does smell very sweet. It smells yummy in any case but still thinking about purchasing it or not. I still have a whole other sample vial left (I ordered 2 of Tihota) so I may keep trying it on for size.

edit: just smelled the SDV on my husband (he applied after I did) and it smells just lovely on him! Could be my body chemistry or the fact that I was wearing the Tihota all day ( and reapplied at work this afternoon also)
    so maybe that is throwing the smell off. I will try the SDV tomorrow fresh without any other scents mucking it up for a real try.

Basenotes Plus

You have a very sweet husband! I hope you learn to love the SDV, it's an awesome vanilla!

Thank you Kiliwia.
    I hope so too.
    As it is evolving I am liking it more. There is a nice tobacco tinge to it and the harshness I smelled when the top notes evaporated started mellowing a bit. Though on me it seems to have more of an edge than on my husband. It smells a bit softer and more mellow on him and on me it is taking a bit longer to reach the mellow stage.

I feel as if I am going overboard now. I just ordered 2 more fragrances based on reviews here- Vanille by Molinard as an inexpensive option to try. I also ordered raw vanilla by Coty as another cheapie.

I applied the Guerlain SDV this AM and I do like it once the sharpness fades and it has started to dry down. It smells a bit like Pi but most probably that is due to my very inexperienced nose. I smell cedar as the primary and the vanilla takes a back seat for me with this perfume. But it is lovely though I think I prefer Tihota. Only problem for me with Tihota is it might be too sweet on me.

What is hardest for me right now is waiting to try my other samples that came in TPC vanilla sampler package as I want to give each fragrance enough time before I try another. I am dying to apply the other perfumes though...patience is not my strong point.
    Last edited by Missy; 3rd December 2010 at 03:55 PM.

I love the Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille. It's a warm smoky and woody and creamy vanilla. I really like it a lot. I am going to have to wear in another day or two to fully realize its potential on me but so far so good.

I am wearing L'Artisan Vanilia right now and to me (and on me) it has the smell of what older ladies smelled like when I was a little girl. Not unpleasant but not my cup of tea. It's soft but just a little too perfumey for me. My husband likes it a lot though.

My main problem so far is I don't feel these perfumes last very long on me at all. Not sure if it's because my skin is so dry and it doesn't hold onto the scent for very long or if it's just that my nose becomes desensitized to wearing it after a couple of hours. My husband says he can smell the fragrance on me after a few hours when I cannot but he has to hold my wrists up to his nose LOL.
    It could also be partly due to the vehicle the fragrances are in (sample glass vial) as I know a spray would/could be more potent as I would spray a larger surface area and perhaps a bit of my clothing.

I ordered a few more samples last night (from Lucky Scent). Vaniglia del Madagascar (Farmacia SS. Annunziata dal 1561), Vanille Bourbon (Il Profumo), and Vanille Absolu (Montale). I cannot wait to sample these also!

Apologies for bumping the Vanilla thread, but Ive a question regarding different types of Vanilla fragrances...

Ok.. (please excuse the cheap nasty choices here!)

I love: Kenzo Amour, Alyssa Ashley Vanilla, Dior Addict

Not keen on: Pink Sugar, SL Bois De Vanille, TBS Vanilla

Based on the ones I like (I find them warm and comforting, foody but not sickly), what category of vanilla is this? Gourmand? And which other vanillas should I be sampling?

Its seems like a lot are hard to get hold of or are super expensive!

I look forward to hearing more!