Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question aboute Baume du Doge by Eau d`Italie.

I love Sienne I`Hiver and Bois d`Ombrie. Two of my absolute favourite fragrances. This Italian house create fantastic and unique scents with great sillage and staying power. My local perfume-shop is still waiting for the new Baume du Doge. Someone tried it? Do you think it suits best on a man or a women? How is sillage/longevity? Is it similar to enything else? IMO the Italian niche fragrances has much better quality than the French..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question aboute Baume du Doge by Eau d`Italie.

I can see there are some myrhh and Olibanum in it. Are there some similarities with Profumum Roma Olibanum?

I infinitely prefer Olibanum to Baume du Doge. I'm quite fond of incense-y scents, but this particular one struck me as very gothic, and not in the good sense. Moldy and dusty. Reminded me of a neglected cellar with cold stone walls, where light never penetrates.
    Can't think of anything to compare it to, off-hand. Maybe C&S Frankincense & Myrrh and/or AG Myrrhe Ardente? I recall those had a bit of that moldy quality too. Others will be more helpful, I'm sure.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought it smelled like a gigantic spicy orange concoction...not good at all. It was pretty sweet too, which I did not like at all. The fennel, cardamon & coriander really "popped" on my skin. It smelled much more foody than I like in my fragrances.

My personal favorites are the two you've already mentioned.

If I were going to get a third, and wanted something a little unusual, I'd get the Magnolia Romana. The notes include: White flowers, basil, lotus blossom, ozone notes, lemon & "earthy" notes. Sounds strange but smells amazing.
    "Not my cup of mud."
    Oscar the Grouch

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm... blind men... elephants....

I tried BdD recently thanks to a friend and found it to be predominantly vanillic and just slightly clove-y. It's not bad during the first hour, but the drydown is a bit uninspiring.

IIRC, one of the reviews here compared the drydown to wet concrete, which is actually a pretty good description.

Heh, I googled blind men + elephants... great parable.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

the opening of baume de doge is a bit scary at first but it's actually pretty amazing once you get acclimated to it. too bad about the drydown!