Code of Conduct

Default Beautiful Mind: Intelligence & Fantasy

Marketing BS reaches an all-time high (or low), with this new fragrance line. Created by Geza Schoen, most notable for the perennial BN goat Escentric Molecules, in conjunction with Christiane Stenger, who at only 12 was the youngest to be awarded the title of Grandmaster of Memory, (though I'm not sure what memory has to do with fragrance design, though perhaps I'm missing the point, as up until now had never heard of the Grandmaster of Memory), and renowned graphic design company MeCompany.

For those that have been around a little, the marketing blurb is a pretentious as they come, and quite frankly doesn't excite me that much. Everywhere in the world has this listed as feminine, even the ad claims "The Beautiful Mind is meant to remind us that a smart woman is a sexy woman." Yet, for some reason, Luckyscent put this in the MEN'S section, and on their new masculine/feminine line, puts it firmly in the middle, at unisex. WHICH might I add, is why I was a proponent for that feature when it was introduced, the notes and all marketing point this one in the feminine direction but if LS feels it is perfectly unisex, then it's something that I'll definitely seek out.

The notes are: magnolia, bergamot, mandarin, pink pepper, freesia, osmanthus, rose, hedione, tiare absolute, cedar, musk, sandalwood and cashmeran.

Those are some interesting notes, I'll take me some pink pepper and magnolia, thank you very much. But notes like the tiare, hedione and osmanthus, are notes I'm not particularly familiar with. Plus the freesia, to my knowledge at least, is a wildly underused note in perfumery. All in all, I'm a sucker for new stuff, whether the marketing fluff is BS or not, so I hope to test this one out soon.

Anyone know anything else or try this one yet?

NST link: http://www.nstperfume.com/2009/12/30...new-fragrance/

LuckyScent link: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...&_Fantasy.html
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 5th January 2010 at 03:29 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Default Re: Beautiful Mind: Intelligence & Fantasy

Many purportedly feminine scents can be worn by men so you might as well it give it a try. But it looks like another white floral musk to me so I think I'll pass for now, nevermind the marketing BS. But thanks for the links.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Many purportedly feminine scents can be worn by men so you might as well it give it a try. But it looks like another white floral musk to me so I think I'll pass for now, nevermind the marketing BS. But thanks for the links.
    Oh I know that DF. Sorry if I came off anti-feminine. I'm not the most feminine-friendly guy on the boards, but I'm not close-minded and will try anything. I was just very surprised considering most ads tend to stray away from declaring genders nowadays, unless its clearly one way or the other. LS, also tends to go with the marketing most times, so I was just surprised to see them go completely against it this time.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 5th January 2010 at 05:34 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Thanks for sharing, mtgprox, as this is certainly a new one...I am intrigued.

Yes, the hype is part of the fun of fragrance, but also what causes a roll of the eyes when it gets too thick. "Smart and sexy woman?" The image of the emancipated woman, sensuous woman, carefree woman...it falls into a blur after awhile.

This goes back to the amazone of the 19th century; the top-hatted equestrienne in her tailcoat and cravat, riding (or even racing) next to her man on her own horse. This is where Hermes' Amazone gets its inspiration. (Hermes originally started as a high-end saddle and harness maker in the 1830s, hence a lot of their scents like Amazone and Equipage.)

Lucky Scent are now using a sliding "feminine/masculine" scale on their scents, for all this helps. Odd how this new scent is classified. I only hope the bottle does not outshine the juice inside.

Here is a small bronze by a French count/artist (*not* the Comte d'Orsay, however...) of this concept of the smart and sexy woman:

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/l...jectID=5197267

and another:

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/l...D=5197269&sid=
    Last edited by Primrose; 5th January 2010 at 03:28 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Oh I know that DF. Sorry if I came off anti-floral. I'm not the most feminine-friendly guy on the boards, but I'm not close-minded and will try anything. I was just very surprised considering most ads tend to stray away from declaring genders nowadays, unless its clearly one way or the other. LS, also tends to go with the marketing most times, so I was just surprised to see them go completely against it this time.
    DOn't worry, you didn't come across as anti-floral. Not at all. I don't pay that much attention to LS' classification, prefering to rely on my own senses as to a fragrance' wearability but from a marketing angle, positioning a unisex can be tricky business. Only CK has had some success in that arena and with the largely floral notes, it seems rather natural for Escentric Molecules to target the ladies with this. But for e-tailers like LS, extending it to a wider customer base is always a good thing.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 5th January 2010 at 05:10 PM.

This is not in any way to disagree with mtgprox05's "marketing BS reaches an all-time low" assessment, but I was intrigued by the Grand Master of Memory thing and looked it up. It's on Wikipedia, so it must be legit!

To earn the title you must:

• Memorise 1,000 numbers in an hour
    • Memorise 10 decks of cards in an hour
    • Memorise one deck of cards in under two minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    DOn't worry, you didn't come across as anti-floral. Not at all. I don't pay that much attention to LS' classification, prefering to rely on my own senses as to a fragrance' wearability but from a marketing angle, positioning a unisex can be tricky business. Only CK has had some success in that arena and with the largely floral notes, it seems rather natural for Escentric Molecules to target the ladies with this. But for e-tailers like LS, extending it to a wider customer base is always a good thing.
    Lol, wonder what was on my mind when I wrote anti-floral? I meant anti-feminine.

Blog Entries

Anything that has magnolia, tiare, hedione and... urp freesia will not be on my to try list anytime soon.

I really don't get this penchant for putting freesia in everything. It makes the juice smell like an Eternity wannabe. It is so 1980's. Boring..... Sorry for ranting.

I also agree the business about being a genius is really off-putting. "Oh, I studied at the xyz college of super geniuses." One of my least favorite pick-up lines.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I also agree the business about being a genius is really off-putting. "Oh, I studied at the xyz college of super geniuses." One of my least favorite pick-up lines.
    That's when I like to say, "Ironic then that they never taught you any tact." :P

This scent sounds.. blah. I dislike Geza Schoen. It's a bit irrational and unfair as I haven't tried any of his scents other then Escentric 01, but the idea of the Molecule series annoys me to no end. While it may be good business sense to pawn off a singular, cheap aromachemical for well over one hundred dollars, it's not an act that I can respect.

Pass.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

: rolleyes :

Sorry folks - I am just not feelin' a buy at this time.

But do tell me if it smells good.

(On the other hand, Primrose, you certainly have me quite interested in vintage [aA]mazone...)

Blog Entries

This has been on Aedes for a while now. I thought the idea was stupid, too. And I ignored it because their description made it sound like a standard fruity floral.

I think the idea of pulling interesting people from outside the fragrance world is cute, but I don't want some uninformed newbie saying "ohh - that smells good - I like the one with the magnolia blossom and the bergamot!"

I'm interested to hear what you think, mtg, but I'm not holding my breath. You can be the official BN guinea pig...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Blech

I'm too lazy to read all this discussion...can someone sum up in a couple words what all the fuss (or lack there of) of this is?

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    This has been on Aedes for a while now. I thought the idea was stupid, too. And I ignored it because their description made it sound like a standard fruity floral.

I think the idea of pulling interesting people from outside the fragrance world is cute, but I don't want some uninformed newbie saying "ohh - that smells good - I like the one with the magnolia blossom and the bergamot!"

I'm interested to hear what you think, mtg, but I'm not holding my breath. You can be the official BN guinea pig...
    Yea, I got the Aedes email about it a couple of weeks ago, though did the same as you and just forgot about it. I can't really be the only one trying it can I? What if it actually turns out to be good? I don't want to be responsible for the only one singing its praises. Then again, that's most likely wishful thinking....

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    I'm too lazy to read all this discussion...can someone sum up in a couple words what all the fuss (or lack there of) of this is?
    Perfumer famous for releasing bottled Iso-E-Super for $100+, joins up with a grown up child prodigy to bring us a new fragrance dripping in philosophical marketing fluff. Heated debate ensues....

Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post
    ...but I was intrigued by the Grand Master of Memory thing and looked it up. It's on Wikipedia, so it must be legit!

To earn the title you must:

• Memorise 1,000 numbers in an hour
    • Memorise 10 decks of cards in an hour
    • Memorise one deck of cards in under two minutes.
    Holy crap!!

But yeah, not sure what this has to do with designing perfumes.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 7th January 2010 at 06:49 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

It's the Escentric Molecules guys take on celebrity fragrances. Instead of slapping the likes of Ms. Hilton or Spears on the bottle they chose a women who has a different kind of beauty. Although it's made for women or at least with women in mind...it's one of my favorites to wear. A great summer scent. Citrus, floral, luminescence light. I like it VERY MUCH.

There was a lot of premature-hate.

Any thoughts from those who've perhaps actually tried it?

for swap/sale: