Code of Conduct

Default Bring back the pillory

In the good old days, people who disgraced themselves personally or professionally were held up for public scrutiny! I say bring this practice back!!

Caveat emptor for me, however.

I have had TWO sad experiences lately with two different online fragrance e-trailers.

First, one company sent me a bottle of perfume simply thrown into a bubble envelope--no cardboard box and no extra bubble wrap. On top of that, the perfume box had a black ink strike-through mark and had been shrink-wrapped again. (This manufacturer has items new in cellophane folded wrappers, which we all have seen.) I was not impressed with the service. I had to speak to a customer rep, who told me that I would be charged a 15% restocking fee for an exchange. I am not a first-time customer to this firm, to say the least. I eventually (after going on and on) was able to speak to a manager and get a replacement order sent to me along with a return label. Still, the black strike-through and shrink wrap. I am returning the other item.

I will see if I get charged this 15% restocking fee...

Another sad experience with another e-tailer in both shoddy packing AND price gouging! The perfume had simply been thrown into a small, flat Priority Mail box with minimal bubble wrap. The perfume box arrived crushed or it was a shop-worn crushed box. Either way, I was not happy. On top, to add insult to injury, I found the e-tailer was charging 15 dollars more than the manufacturer's price off the Web? The business then offers to ship out another box to me after the feedback was negative, presuming, of course, that I send back the other bottle. I am busy and this is just too much work for me...

I ended up stating that I would accept a full refund if I ship back the original item. Otherwise the feedback stays.

I am not naming names at this point as both situations are in the resolution stage.

BTW, both purchases were made off the Amazon retailers, which provides some measure of customer satisfaction and protection.

We shall see...

I would appreciate any comments, esp. from those of us with poor experiences in either packages or pricing. (BTW, I will avoid the allegation of "whining" from some people as in "you are buying on discount, so stop snivelling." When one buys the chef's special at a restaurant, one knows it's yesterday's food, buy one still expects it to be edible and presented well on the plate.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillory
    Last edited by Primrose; 5th January 2010 at 05:27 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bring back the pillory

Packaging is pretty basic to any eBusiness. Since I've never received anything from any business that was badly packed or damaged, I'd write, 'Nevermore,' beside the names of those businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post
    Packaging is pretty basic to any eBusiness. Since I've never received anything from any business that was badly packed or damaged, I'd write, 'Nevermore,' beside the names of those businesses.
    This is *twice* in the last month from perfume e-tailers and I am slack-jawed at the shoddy packaging! You'd think a perfume bottle in a box would get a cardboard carton. Again, one of these retailers I have done business with many times with excellent packaging.

Both are Amazon e-tailers, so feedback is still pending on these purchases.

Thank you for your reply.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    ... one of these retailers I have done business with many times with excellent packaging.
    Thank you for your reply.
    Good help is hard to find, Christmas rush, yada, yada. Part of the business is training new employees. Every one provides a 'face' of the business and you and I judge by what we see. Poor performance by newbies is often a sign that the owner thinks of this as his hobby, not as a business.

I wish I had a video of automatic package handling/sorting equipment in operation. I'm amazed that a FB in a bubble envelope survived at all.

Basenotes Institution

Primrose ... I am very sorry you have had to deal with this . It pains me to spend good money online to receive "cr*p" ie. ill packaged ,dented ,crushed perfume. I mean, it's like cheating people. There is a huge amount of trust when one purchases online - and those amazon sellers have not stuck to their side of the deal. You should complain to Amazon itself - would it help , Primrose ? Best of luck with it. Knowing me, I would be on the phone to Amazon making a huge song and dance about their sellers till they did something .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

primrose; I don't know who these retailers on Amazon are but, I do not buy anything from or through Amazon. I am a very picky person and who I spend money with either conforms to my requirements or they don't get my business. I would rather pay more and get real service and value than deal with a slipshod company. Let's remember you are the customer and you are always right! These company's livelihoods depend on you, not the other way round.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 6th January 2010 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Primrose ... I am very sorry you have had to deal with this . It pains me to spend good money online to receive "cr*p" ie. ill packaged ,dented ,crushed perfume. I mean, it's like cheating people. There is a huge amount of trust when one purchases online - and those amazon sellers have not stuck to their side of the deal. You should complain to Amazon itself - would it help , Primrose ? Best of luck with it. Knowing me, I would be on the phone to Amazon making a huge song and dance about their sellers till they did something .
    Yes, Mysticknot, I fully plan to leave poor feedback if I am not satisfied with service. The consumer has the power in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    primrose; I don't know who these retailers on Amazon are but, I do not buy anything from or through Amazon. I am a very picky person and who I spend money with either conforms to my requirements or they don't get my business. I would rather pay more and get real service and value than deal with a slipshod company. Let's remember you are the customer and you are always right! These company's livelihoods depend on you, not the other way round.
    I agree, Nick, that premium prices (usually) ensure good service, althought I have even had poor service while paying full price. (I once received a shop-worn bottle--maybe used for making decants--of an MPG bottle of women's EDT. There were particles floating in the juice and there was dust on the bottle! A call to customer service cleared this up.)