Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on Tom Ford Noir de Noir?

Just wondering what people think of this one? Is the chocolate rose description I've read fairly accurate? Those are two notes I'm very fond of. Also, how are sillage and longevity? There seem to be conflicting reports with some saying its a long lasting sillage monster and others saying you have to apply a lot of it. I look forward to hearing some opinions.

Default Re: Thoughts on Tom Ford Noir de Noir?

I love it , I cant say enough how much I love it Its definatly in my top 2 , however I dont get any chocolate at all from it

As for longevity and silage , both great , 2 to 3 sprays will last the whole day

Basenotes Institution

Not like chocolate, but definitely a bit of a cocoa accord running around with the rose and woods. A bit sour and tangy (in a good way), it also has a shiny aura to it that is probably a healthy dose of synthetics.

Sometimes I wear it and it lasts a long time, other times its fleeting.

Not a safe blind buy, for sure. I think it would appeal to those looking for a unisex rose scent, but nonetheless I have smelled (and own) much better rose scents.

hmm... longevity/projection is not too good with this one after the initial opening. I've only tried it twice so don't take my word for it just yet. I expected to be a lot more potent, based on the reviews on here. After a couple of hours, it definitely fades a lot and sits very close to my skin. It certainly won't go a whole day on my skin.

The smell isn't unique, it reminds me a lot of those rose/oud attars you get in the middle east, but it's well made and smooth. It does lean on the feminine side imo. I'm gonna wear it a couple more times to make my mind up. So far I like it but it's not quite rich enough imo (the opening is rich enough but doesn't last long enough). M Micallef's Aoud Homme was an alternative suggested on here so I will definitely be checking that one out.
    Last edited by badr; 19th January 2011 at 06:46 PM.

One of my favorite rose scents... not one that I find suitable for a lot of different types of occasions, but it's really gorgeous. Unlike Badr, I find it extremely long lasting.

A hot mess to be honest, but one man's garbage is another man's treasure as they say. That's the beauty of basenotes.

one of the best rose scents, one of the best scents overall....an example how to use an oud note properly
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Didn't find it the least bit interesting.

Sur la Plage

I found it to be quite wonderful!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Its a beautiful one. If you dont like the rose note, you may like this one. No chocolate but who cares. The projection is as good as any TF fragrance which to me is next to great. Its still on my tie going strong from two days ago lol. And I dont find it feminine.

I only got to sample it lightly from a dabber once so far and I know I'll get a little flack for the comparison but it really did remind me of A*Men without the tar note. I'll have to try it again to confirm but from what I remember while wearing it I was thinking, 'this is what a*men should have been'. I really liked it.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Beautiful scent. My wife thinks its too feminine for me so I refrain from wearing it. We still fight over Black Orchid for crying out loud.

Great saffron, rose, truffle and chocolate liqueur notes. In my opinion this is one of the top three in Tom Ford's line. You must sample this and do not blind buy. There are several people that have sampled Noir de Noir that complain about a fecal or barnyard note. I just smell chocolate and truffle.
    - Expect the unexpected

Probably my favorite rose based fragrance. I admit, I have some trouble pulling it off in the opening as the projection is above average, and comes off more feminine to me. However, an hour in when it gets more smokey, and raspberry, it teeters more into the unisex zone which is where it shines the most for me. Though I have said this numerous times, and what's one more.. Noir de Noir is one of the most beautiful scents ever created.

One of my favorites from the Private Blend along side with Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood and Tobacco Vanille. I've read that some people consider it a bit feminine? I don't think so.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    A hot mess to be honest, but one man's garbage is another man's treasure as they say. That's the beauty of basenotes.
    Heck, I like the stuff, but I think hot mess is a damn good description of it. Overly dynamic, lots of great notes that don't last that long, passes through good and great and mediocre stages, and you don't know what's next. But sexy and girly. Yeah. Hot mess!

How does NdN compare to Black Aoud in terms of longevity and silage? I can't see how anything on planet earth can beat my Black Aoud (Haute Conc).

Bumping an old thread to say I just tried NdN and I have to say this is love at first sniff.
    AMAZING.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Bumping an old thread to say I just tried NdN and I have to say this is love at first sniff.
    AMAZING.
    Looking to try this one.
    Last edited by freewheelingvagabond; 28th November 2013 at 05:51 AM.

Its starts off very nice, with the chocolate rosy oudy scent but the drydown is this sickly powdery synthetic smell. Pass for me. At its price point, there are better options available in the market.

Menthol cigarettes.

Basenotes Junkie

I did not like it.

Originally got a sample from a store and gave it away because I simply could not wear it. Very disappointing. Le Labo rose 31 is a WAY better rose if you ask me, although I probably would not be buying a full bottle of that any time soon either.

Sampling first is strongly advised.

Just got a big bottle of this for Christmas. Amazing stuff! Can't wait to open it in a few days. Reminds me so much of the fantastic Perry Ellis for Women from 1985.

Does it have a lot of similarity to the cheaper Noir? .

Quote Originally Posted by cpa5oh View Post
    Not to me, although I like both.

I have NdN in my collection and like it. I mainly bought it for the great dry down, but getting there takes some patience for me as the opening is a bit more feminine than I'd like.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

I like it but for that price tag it's not FBW IMO. I prefer Armani Privé Rose d'Arabie as a rose-oud combo: close to perfection.

One of the best rose fragrances ever hands down.

Rose and cocoa! Is there any similarities montale intense cafe?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cpa5oh View Post
    None whatsoever.

Noir is sort of a slightly updated take on Guerlain Habit Rouge. The opening is different, but the dry down is very similar.

Noir de Noir, on the other hand, is a completely different fragrance. To give you an idea as to what it smells like... take a nice rich red rose in full bloom, dip it in melted bitter dark chocolate, then dip the whole thing in very rich port wine. Absolutely exquisite and intoxicating scent.

I've tried it twice and it died so quickly with little sillage. I didn't like Le Labo either.

There are so many GREAT rose/oud attars that are far far better than Noir de Noir. It's just not worth the price. Amouage Molook is quality if you're after a brand. Yes it's pricey but a few ml will last you a long time. I'd try it.

Sent from my HTC One

This fragrance is beast mode on me. Great projection and longevity. One of my favorites from the line.

Way too rich and decadent for my blood. Gave it to my girlfriend, smells wonderful on her. I don't find this to be very unisex and that's coming from someone that has no problems wearing Chanel Bois des Iles which is considered a feminine fragrance.