Code of Conduct

Thread: April Aromatics

Default April Aromatics

There has been some buzz around this house lately. They sell natural perfumes. Price is fairly expensive, but it still gets rave reviews. Anyone had any experience with Precious Woods, Bohemian Spice, or Calling All Angels? If so what did you think? Worth the high price tag?

Default Re: April Aromatics

I too have been wondering what these are like as one of them won a award at the Art & Olfaction Awards. Though 169 euros/$233 is very pricey for just 30ml. Anyone tried them?

I just tried Calling All Angels at the awards ceremony. Superbly made, well-rounded, but totally not my cup of tea. It's a gourmand incense that sits somewhere between Norma Kamali and Incense Pure but with a dry vanilla in it as well. I've heard from friends, though, that the rest of the line is exceptional.

I'll be writing up some thoughts on all those IAO scents over the next couple of days, but they'll be snapshots as those kind of events are not conducive to proper testing.
    Last edited by deadidol; 27th April 2014 at 05:56 PM.

You piqued my interest, then I saw the price tag. Wow!
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

The tester is 13.00 Euro for 2.5 ml. (plus shipping).
    http://aprilaromatics.com/store/inde...ngels-2ml.html

Thanks for the info deadidol, in fact that "calling all angels" scent did look like the most interesting from the write up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Thanks for the info deadidol, in fact that "calling all angels" scent did look like the most interesting from the write up.
    For me, Lampblack was the most interesting, but Angels was well-deserving of the award. More on that one soon
    Last edited by deadidol; 27th April 2014 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    The tester is 13.00 Euro for 2.5 ml. (plus shipping).
    Lpp, to get three samples Boh Spice, Precious Woods and the angel one is £40 quid with shipping. Ouchhhh....... You can get a full bottles of juice at that price. I would expect the fragrance to be delivered by a winged angel for that price. lol

It's "all natural" and, so that tends to crank the price up—simply because the materials are so expensive. I think that's what impressed me the most about it though: usually all-naturals have a certain dynamism to them that renders them tricky to fine-tune, but this felt very perfected and baroque.

Lpp, to get three samples Boh Spice, Precious Woods and the angel one is £40 quid with shipping. Ouchhhh....... You can get a full bottles of juice at that price. I would expect the fragrance to be delivered by a winged angel for that price. lol

Basenotes Plus

Thanks lpp for the link.

The option of 9 samples, 7.5 ml each, for 165 euros ( without VAT) sounds tempting

You're welcome, CapriDog - it will be interesting to hear reviews of them.

Yosh Konig also won that award which I have...Another fantastic scent to try and a helluva lot cheaper than April Aromatics...lol..

@deadiol and Ipp thank you very much for the information!-I am crazy about the brand

I definitely agree with this...100% natural fragrances are extremely difficult to get them exactly the way you'd like them. And the materials are quite expensive. I'd try Calling all Angels if I had the extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    It's "all natural" and, so that tends to crank the price up—simply because the materials are so expensive. I think that's what impressed me the most about it though: usually all-naturals have a certain dynamism to them that renders them tricky to fine-tune, but this felt very perfected and baroque.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

I'll be content to read about it personally.

After careful deliberation I have ordered a full bottle of Precious Woods with samples of Bohemian Spice & Calling All Angels.

Out of all them the woody Sandalwood/Cedarwood with pine and vetiver appealed to me the most. Fingers crossed but by reading up on the net they seem to be of a quality beyond your usual scents. But will shall see.

Well I received my bottle of Precious Woods By April Aromatics and the following is just my thoughts from the last six hours of wearing it. Though I do need to give this more wearings to fully have it's measure. Unfortunately I did not receive the free samples of others from the same company so I can only talk about this one.

The packaging is very nice with the bottled contained within a long cylinder like box. Also the bottle has three crystals within down to the creators new age pure ingredients holistic approach.

On first application of the scent to my chest and side of neck the first thing that grabs you is the quality of the ingredients. It's like scent in high definition as the fragrance is concentrated, vibrant and intense.

The scent of cedarwood is what I first smelled which was quickly followed by stunning pine notes. And I mean breathtaking in their beauty like you are smelling the aroma in a forest on the air. With this I'm smelling a golden like sandalwood with hints of Patchouli and again awesome quality. I think the Sandalwood is a mix of different woods as I seem to be picking up different woody aromas.

At some point this stunning Myrrh and vetiver note becomes more prominent mixing in with the pine. This gives the scent a earthy resinous feel and you could imagine smelling the forest floor after the rain which has pine cones and leaves covering everywhere you look. Also mixed in with this is a green like spice. I have to say it is a gorgeous woodsy fragrance as the natural ingredients do make you feel like you are experiencing scent in high definition.

I cannot compare this with straight forward Sandalwood fragrances as this scent is like a "walk through a lush forest bottled". Meaning you get the whole smell of the forest experience and not just Sandalwood though the quality is really good.

Now the scent as whole is soft and tightly weaved in a intricate way and the projection is about average. It does stay close to you though it does have a definite presence and people will pick up on it when they get near you.

Now I need more wearing's to gauge the longevity properly but I can still smell it now after over six hours. But I do spray to my chest and the scent tends to stick to my shirt and last longer. But I'm thinking this is going to be between five to six hours or so but I'm not entirely sure.

Anyway I have enjoyed wearing it and can only imagine how wonderful the other scents from this company smells like.

Basenotes Plus

It sounds very very nice Jack. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    It sounds very very nice Jack. Thanks.
    Agreed, this sounds spectacular. Thanks for the review Jack.

I like Bohemian Spice very much it would be a nice one for lovers of incense and woods with lots of boldness. Also Calling All Angels very beautiful, striking really, but it is too pungent and too sweet for me to wear. It has a bold noticeable benzoin/frankincense combo that is interesting and similar to Absolute pour Le Soir but with more incense. I characterize Calling all Angels as feminine in character but is quite fierce as an incense fragrance and is too pungently sweet as for me. These fragrances are noticeable by how strong they are - maybe too bold?. The other one I liked well enough to want to purchase it from a sample was Unter den Linden - but have not gotten it. It smells like you would expect from the name.

Thanks, Jack. Lovely review for the Precious Woods, but the marketing around the Calling All Angels is some seriously weird stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Thanks, Jack. Lovely review for the Precious Woods, but the marketing around the Calling All Angels is some seriously weird stuff!!
    I know I came across this note breakdown of the scent and they added love and angel guidance were part of the ingredients. And that the fragrance was bottled on the full moon. Had to have a good laugh on that, I guess the creator is really into all that new age stuff. Here is the link: lol

I cannot wait though to wear the precious woods fragrance again, seriously good stuff!

I guess the creator is really into all that new age stuff.
    In a big way

If you have the money, they are definitely worth trying for the ingredients used, though most are rather straight compositions with very little going on.

My favourite is Bohemian Spice, and along with Oriza Legrand's Horizon, they are the definitive patchoulis.
    This one starts with the usual piercing earthiness but it evens out quickly by the combo of sandalwood, lavender, cloves and the mystical touch of incense. This accord doesn't evolve much, deep, bold, loud, somewhat green and spicy; but it stays smooth and lasts more than 24h. ****

Unter den Linden it's the best 'behaved' (not harsh) natural linden blossom accord I had the chance to experience, but at the same time it's too innofensive for me. ***

Jasmina is, again, too mannered and innocent for my tastes, just a short lived clean jasmin. ***

Calling All Angels is for the opoponax freaks out there, so be no mistaken, the ethereal incense last around an hour and the remainder is more resinous/balmy. ***

Nectar of Love, if you ever smelt/ate nectar, this might remind you of it. Nice execution, it starts with very dark amber and minty tuberose, phases to a full bodied jasmin and rose accord, but this sweet fruitiness - yummy floral in the drydown is really hard to wear if you are over 15... ***

Rose L'Orange it's similar to the Kurkdjian's use of neroli/orange blossom, particularly in APOM, really gentle, 'perfumey', not the usual strident and deficient synthetics. Well crafted with a lot of rose and a touch of vanilla. ***

Rosenlust it opens very green and slighty lemony (angelica? hyacinth?), it transforms to a extremely pink rose with still bright notes. Yet, I was expecting a lush rose given the reviews. ***

Precious Woods, after reading Jack's thoughts I tested it again, I agree longevity could be better. This time I focused more in the creaminess rather than the sharp coniferus aspect and I really enjoyed it. Having tried Norne is no longer a problem, they are very different and at least this is not a monster, is perfectly wearable. ***

Liquid Dreams, osmanthus galore (not something that I adore) with citruses, unappealing. **
    Last edited by Brian_Towers; 4th May 2014 at 06:30 PM.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Towers View Post
    Calling All Angels is for the opoponax freaks out there, so be no mistaken, more resinous/balmy than ethereal incense.
    So it doesn't have the burning frankincense vibe like Sahara noir or Micallef Shanaan ?
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    So it doesn't have the burning frankincense vibe like Sahara noir or Micallef Shanaan ?
    It's more "burning" than Sahara Noir, but Sahara Noir, to me, is balsamic. Angels is quite ashy and dry, but has a strong spiced vanilla component. Think Norma Kamali's Incense meets Incense Pure by Sonoma Scent Studio. You need to be down with gourmands for this one, I think.

Technically speaking, it's astounding -- which is why I think it won. I'm an incense fan, but it's not quite to my taste.

Thanks for the description Deadidol. It's interesting that it's not to your tastes, seeing that it's a unison of two of your favorites.

Anyway, i think I need to try this myself. I'm gonna order a sample from her website.

Sent from Galaxy Note 3

P.S : What i meant by "burning" Frankincense is the smell of the smoke when you light the resins. Sorry for the confusion
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 3rd May 2014 at 11:51 AM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Nicely done Jack Hunter. Sounds very lovely and would have been the one I would have went for too! I look forward to your thoughts after subsequent wearings.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Default April Aromatics

Thanks for the description Deadidol. It's interesting that it's not to your tastes, seeing that it's a unison of two of your favorites.

Anyway, i think I need to try this myself. I'm gonna order a sample from her website.

Sent from Galaxy Note 3
    It's the gourmand that didn't sit well with me. I get why it's there (a counter to the dark facets), but I really struggle with dry vanilla and culinary spices. I'm pretty certain that this has cinnamon and nutmeg in it. The incense part is dry and ashy (Norma Kamali) but there's a sappy woody aspect as well (Incense Pure).

But just to put the prices into context: I sampled the Strange Invisible line today. Now those are some pricey naturals!
    Last edited by deadidol; 3rd May 2014 at 07:52 AM.

It's the gourmand that didn't sit well with me. I get why it's there (a counter to the dark facets), but I really struggle with dry vanilla and culinary spices. I'm pretty certain that this has cinnamon and nutmeg in it.
    Gotcha. Thanks.

Sent from Galaxy Note 3

It's good to see more info coming on other fragrances from this house.

I'm wearing Precious woods again today and am noticing different facets. There is a point where you are smelling pine resin or sap and it's really lovely. And sometimes out of the smell of pine the woods come forward strongly then recede. If I had to be critical I would say it could do with more projection.

Ok after wearing Precious woods three times (also wore it yesterday evening) I think I can pinpoint it's longevity on my skin.

It lasts between four to five hours with traces of the basenotes still on my clothes. The first three hours is it's glory ride where it's strong and then it hits the basenotes for the next hour or so. Also after the first three hours it becomes more subdued though I have had my girlfriend say she can smell it six hours or so after application. But I'm putting that down to the scent lingering on my clothes.

Though the projection and longevity are not great they are not poor either. You pay your money to experience the glorious quality of the ingredients on your skin.

Sounds very comforting and relaxing. I'll have to seek a sample of this out one day. I bet Ody would love this one!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Sounds pretty standard for an all-natural fragrance in my experiences. I would love to try these, particularly Precious Woods.

The first three hours is it's glory ride where it's strong and then it hits the basenotes for the next hour or so. Also after the first three hours it becomes more subdued though I have had my girlfriend say she can smell it six hours or so after application. But I'm putting that down to the scent lingering on my clothes.

Though the projection and longevity are not great they are not poor either. You pay your money to experience the glorious quality of the ingredients on your skin.

It's the gourmand that didn't sit well with me. I get why it's there (a counter to the dark facets), but I really struggle with dry vanilla and culinary spices. I'm pretty certain that this has cinnamon and nutmeg in it. The incense part is dry and ashy (Norma Kamali) but there's a sappy woody aspect as well (Incense Pure).

But just to put the prices into context: I sampled the Strange Invisible line today. Now those are some pricey naturals!
    I visited their boutique on Abbot Kinney last year and tested some of their fragrances on paper and one, a so called botanical leather blend, on my skin. It resembled more mahogany than leather.
    Was there something appealing to you?
    You cannot control your own population by force, but it can be distracted by consumption.

Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    I visited their boutique on Abbot Kinney last year and tested some of their fragrances on paper and one, a so called botanical leather blend, on my skin. It resembled more mahogany than leather.
    Was there something appealing to you?
    Excellent materials, good ideas, jaw-droppingly poor construction. You can fix a perfume (to a degree) using only natural materials and not have to rely of synths to do so, but these don't even try. I rarely bring up price in my reviews and don't subscribe to the longevity/projection obsession, but at $855 a bottle, scents like Essence of IX need to hold up a bit longer than 60 minutes.

After many hours my shirt when smelled up close smells of pure Sandalwood and it's really high quality. It reminds me of this Mysore Sandalwood oil I had many years ago that I used to use in my bath for the aroma. It's a gorgeous concentrated and little bit creamy Sandalwood. I'm wishing a cologne could be made out of just what I'm smelling now. lol

Basenotes Plus

Reading all the reviews/responses, I am waiting anxiously for the arrival of my samples
    Last edited by CapriDog; 3rd May 2014 at 09:14 PM. Reason: My grammar sucks :(

Just ordered some samples myself! Very interested to try them,
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Just ordered some samples myself! Very interested to try them,

I will be interested in what you guys think of Bohemian Spice and Calling All Angels. When I was thinking getting a full bottle it came down to Bohemian Spice & Precious Woods. The reason I went with the latter was due to me already having a good few Patchouli dominated fragrances already. And I just cannot get enough of good Sandalwood scents.

Basenotes Plus

Will do Jack.

I will be interested in what you guys think of Bohemian Spice and Calling All Angels. When I was thinking getting a full bottle it came down to Bohemian Spice & Precious Woods. The reason I went with the latter was due to me already having a good few Patchouli dominated fragrances already. And I just cannot get enough of good Sandalwood scents.
    All my fragrances are sadly packed in monster sized boxes away from me Will be glad when we finally move and get back to normal. If we do I may just invest in some samples of these!!

I agree sandalwood is so addictive I will happily be embalmed in the stuff when I kick the bucket! Or I could just get the angels that make this stuff carry me away...

The problem is you have to really go on a quest to get juice with decent Sandalwood. A lot of scents out there that call themselves Sandalwood are just rubbish. I have actually had to get my Sandalwood fix from Japanese incense where you can still smell the good stuff. Though the vintage C&E Extract Of Mysore Sandalwood is really good though tough to find now.

The problem is you have to really go on a quest to get juice with decent Sandalwood. A lot of scents out there that call themselves Sandalwood are just rubbish.
    It's simply not sustainable or practical to use in mass-production. You can find tons of it in these smaller lines (it's a prominent item in Slumberhouse scents), but the price will sometimes be reflective of it (as is the case here). There are workable solutions, such as the Hawaiian Sandalwood that currently being developed as a more sustainable variant (it's greener, brighter, and crisper than Mysore), but for commercial releases, you'll be dealing with sour aromachemicals like ebanol and javanol that are doctored with lactones to create sandalwood-esque accords.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    All my fragrances are sadly packed in monster sized boxes away from me Will be glad when we finally move and get back to normal. If we do I may just invest in some samples of these!!

I agree sandalwood is so addictive I will happily be embalmed in the stuff when I kick the bucket! Or I could just get the angels that make this stuff carry me away...
    Unicorn tears might be an embalming option....

It's the gourmand that didn't sit well with me. I get why it's there (a counter to the dark facets), but I really struggle with dry vanilla and culinary spices. I'm pretty certain that this has cinnamon and nutmeg in it.
    Do you get any resemblance in the overall vibe between Calling all angels and Devotion by house of Matriarch?

I know the former leans more on the gourmand elements, and the latter utilises that extra kick of tea note, but the common pillar pieces in both compositions are very obvious to my nose.

I seriously can't help but smell the similarities between the two.
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 8th June 2014 at 07:26 AM.

Do you get any resemblance in the overall vibe between Calling all angels and Devotion by house of Matriarch?

I know the former leans more on the gourmand elements, and the latter utilises that extra kick of tea note, but the pieces are there.

I seriously can't help but smell the similarities between the two.
    I get what you're saying, but I actually find Devotion runs a little closer to Precious Woods in that they're both quite peppery. Devotion is pretty "scorched" and dry, though, and CAA certainly has a desiccated aspect that juxtaposes the vanilla. CAA is NUCLEAR on me though.

CAA is NUCLEAR on me though.
    Indeed, very potent and thick ! I woke up today and rich traces of it are still on my hand. That's 24 hours later...

I've got PW from a trade. It smells like Chinese medicine to me hahaha. On 2nd thought it reminds me of old furnitures .

If you enjoy something like Dark Aoud you are going to like PW, otherwise... stay away .
    Last edited by fragrance123; 28th June 2014 at 01:52 AM.